<back   Jemsite > Toolbox: Setup, Repairs and Mods > Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods

Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

Old 03-07-2012, 07:35 PM

Copper Sustain Block from FloydRoseUpgrades

I have tried the brass upgrade sustain blocks with mixed results, but just saw they offer them in copper now.

http://www.floydupgrades.com/catalog...vkpu5f7co06ic2

Anyone have any idea how copper would sound compared to stock or brass?

Thanks (and feel free to point me to the thread if this has been covered already).
Old 03-07-2012, 08:23 PM

Re: Copper Sustain Block from FloydRoseUpgrades

I wouldn't try it. Copper likes to corrode. and man, does it get nasty when it starts to corrode. Any moisture will make it corrode.

Tonally, it might be a bit warmer sounding. But i don't think it would make too much of a difference.
Old 03-08-2012, 12:54 AM

I've got one on an 89 Kramer equipped with an OFR. Alder body, maple neck, scalloped rosewood fretboard, Duncan JB bridge & 59er neck...

Sounds fantastic. Warmer than brass, but with scooped mids. Highs are also crystal clear. Not as muddy of a warmth as some brass blocks can be, this is a tighter bass response. Screaming harmonics. I have had it for about a year, with no trem cavity cover, and I do not have any corrosion whatsoever. I use this guitar primarily for 80's style hard rock/ classic metal covers (Ozzy, Maiden, Priest, AC/DC, Crue, Scorps, Ratt, etc etc). For this application it sounds great! If you want that more mid-strong Vai tone this block might be counter productive. But if you want ball crushing low end crunch w/ simultaneous screaming highs this block is the ticket.

Never tried Cu on a Jem though... My Jems all have stock blocks except for one which has a brass block. This is due to aftermarket blocks being bigger dimensionally & compromising trem range of motion & is something to keep in mind for non OFR applications. I am currently having a Tungsten block custom made in the exact dimensions of the stock block for one of my Jems though (Edge Pro trem) so i'll report back how that one sounds soon.

Rock on!
Old 03-08-2012, 03:46 PM

Thanks for the replies. Exactly what I was looking for.

Will definitely give a try since it sounds like it will fit what I want it to do .
Old 03-08-2012, 06:45 PM

Dude my experience with Adam over @ FU is that he's a super cool guy to work with. I'm sure if you order the Cu block & don't like it he'll exchange it for a brass or maybe even allow a flat out return. I've never needed to return anything but my vibe on the guy is he's cool & down to earth & very customer service oriented.
Old 03-08-2012, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfssdude View Post
Dude my experience with Adam over @ FU is that he's a super cool guy to work with. I'm sure if you order the Cu block & don't like it he'll exchange it for a brass or maybe even allow a flat out return. I've never needed to return anything but my vibe on the guy is he's cool & down to earth & very customer service oriented.
I'm not so charitable. He's been caught out on these very forums before trying to shill his own product.
Old 03-08-2012, 06:52 PM

Really? News to me. He's never been anything but helpful with me. I've purchased quite a few products from him & been happy with the product quality & customer service. But as I said, I never had a problem or return so can't speak to his resolution style/abilities.
Old 04-07-2012, 12:39 AM

Adam is a great guy, me and Adam are good friends, I've seen him drop what he was doing to answer a call from a customer and explain how to fix there D-Tuna or help with a big block install. He does offer your money back if you dont like it so no worries there. I haven't tried the copper block yet but cant wait to hear it in person. I love both the Titanium and Brass but would like to the hear the more scooped mids sound of the copper.
Old 04-07-2012, 10:42 AM

For anyone who may care about a followup, copper sounds great in alder, but not as great in mahogany. Brass may be the way to go with mahagany, at least to my ears.

Show/Hide Posting Rules