<back   Jemsite > Toolbox: Setup, Repairs and Mods > Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods

Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

Old 12-14-2012, 07:33 PM

Re: Covering an RG in fabric practice run (on a Tele guniea pig)

Now comes the hardest part: waiting till spring to finish it. But I have to make some choices: PUs, PU color combination, decal no decal... pffff choices.
This will be getting a black burst and a clear pickguard (i like the contrast of the kitschy flower fabric and the 'let's look under the hood' approach of a transparent pickguard despite the front route.
The RG was a bit harder to cover as it has more contours than a Tele. What was easier was to get the edges clean as the edge is a 90 degree angle on the RG body. The Mod Podge wet sands pretty well to a really smooth surface even though you have to watch out to not have the sandpaper too wet or else the glue dissolves again. I am almost worried that it might be too smooth for laquer to stick. I def have to do some testing ebfore i mess this up. And I hope clear coat won't be a problem like on andrewsfury's project.
I had to replace the tuners and the Cosmo black ones look really cool. Maybe i will replace the trem too, but i want to keep the spending to a minimum on this one. I'd rather invest in tools and equipment to get better at building and finishing.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:54 PM

Looks great! Are the cut edges of the fabric as clean as it looks in the pictures? I would have thought it would be hard to get a clean cut without cutting into the wood body.
Also (I may have missed it in early posts), is there anything special about the fabric? Is it better to find thinner or thicker?
Old 12-14-2012, 11:02 PM
(a)

Reviews: 25

Blue Dimarzio's.... no idea why, its just a feeling I get.. maybe cause the fabric looks like a Tattoo, and the blue might suit it !!
Old 12-15-2012, 01:44 AM

Reviews: 15

For the pickups I'd try to match them that bluish green color that's on the snake.
Old 12-15-2012, 02:10 AM
(a)

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverctr View Post
For the pickups I'd try to match them that bluish green color that's on the snake.
Its a shame dimarzio dont do custom colors..
Old 12-15-2012, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big al View Post
Looks great! Are the cut edges of the fabric as clean as it looks in the pictures? I would have thought it would be hard to get a clean cut without cutting into the wood body.
Also (I may have missed it in early posts), is there anything special about the fabric? Is it better to find thinner or thicker?
The edges came out really clean. I used an extremely sharp exacto knife. It does happen that you chip the wood a bit but you can trim off the bit and sand it smooth. I am pretty sure it won't affect the overall shape and contours. The fabric is 100% cotton and has a good thickness. When it's soaked with Mod Podge it reminds a bit of rubber coated table cloths (a thin version of it though).
Old 12-15-2012, 05:23 AM

Here's my attempt. Now I need to start wetsanding and smoothing some edges. A bit of the fabric came over the edge so the bridge doesn't quite fit in.

Still no idea about the colors of the pickguard, pickups, knobs..

Old 12-15-2012, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ad_Astra View Post
Here's my attempt. Now I need to start wetsanding and smoothing some edges. A bit of the fabric came over the edge so the bridge doesn't quite fit in.

Still no idea about the colors of the pickguard, pickups, knobs..

Black pickguard, creme PUs, and creme knobs! That thing is SICK.
Old 12-15-2012, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by draven.bmx View Post
Black pickguard, creme PUs, and creme knobs! That thing is SICK.
I was thinking a black pickguard, zebra pups and white knobs. I guess I'll cover the heastock with that fabric also. And a white logo for sure.
Old 12-15-2012, 08:33 AM

Quote:
I was thinking a black pickguard, zebra pups and white knobs. I guess I'll cover the heastock with that fabric also. And a white logo for sure.
that looks really cool. how did you manage the burst? i think with that design i'd stick to black pups and the cosmo metal knobs you have atm. black pickguard for sure. zebra with a matching creme tone would be pretty slick too though. but with a black single coil i'd say. nice job!
Old 12-15-2012, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersoul View Post
that looks really cool. how did you manage the burst? i think with that design i'd stick to black pups and the cosmo metal knobs you have atm. black pickguard for sure. zebra with a matching creme tone would be pretty slick too though. but with a black single coil i'd say. nice job!
Thanks!

The burst's just made with a spray can and free hand First attempt on everything on a guitar, the burst and the fabric.

Backside's got the same florals but there's also some mistakes around the cavities for not having a nice/good blade for this purpose.
Old 12-20-2012, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Thanks!

The burst's just made with a spray can and free hand First attempt on everything on a guitar, the burst and the fabric.

Backside's got the same florals but there's also some mistakes around the cavities for not having a nice/good blade for this purpose.
That is very cool for a first attempt. Is it clear coated yet? Post pictures as you progress please, i'd like to see the finished result.
Old 12-21-2012, 05:29 AM

Yes, it's clearcoated. You can see som dim spots there on the black that's been sanded a bit. Just needs decent sanding for leveling the surface and buffing. Been too busy and lazy to start doing all that.
Old 12-21-2012, 11:07 AM

Reviews: 4
Talking

DiMarzio does do custom colors. Get on that eviil website and find banjomikez, message him and he can order them for you. He is a DiMarzio retailer. I have used him twice!!
Old 12-21-2012, 06:03 PM
(a)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dccomputersa View Post
DiMarzio does do custom colors. Get on that eviil website and find banjomikez, message him and he can order them for you. He is a DiMarzio retailer. I have used him twice!!
Iv bought many timesfrom banjomikez, and he can only order colors that dimarzio offers, i ment custom colors that one would be able to pick from every shade in tge color spectrum

Tags
77fp, fabric, jem, rg550

Show/Hide Posting Rules