custom built idea - Jemsite
<back   Jemsite > Toolbox: Setup, Repairs and Mods > Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

Old 10-10-2011, 03:12 AM

custom built idea

Guys, I've never had any mahogany and rosewood neck guitar ever. all my guitars past and present are maple necks.
Ibanez does not seem to give us any RG with mahogany/ rosewood neck, so it's time t built one myself.

I came out with basic idea : RG or S body, neckthrough, flame maple tops ( real maple), rosewood fingerboard, Edge/ lo pro, all black hardware ( my fav), and HSS configuration with standard switch.

How does it sound ? anyone has experience with rosewood or mahogany neck ( except les paul and PRS) ?

pls jump in with any idea.

thanks.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:32 AM

Re: custom built idea

I have never played one. It sounds like an interesting combination though.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:55 AM

Reviews: 1

What, yes they do, I have one 04 RG520QSTB Quilted saple top, mahogany body.

Last edited by Jamm'n Jimmy; 10-18-2011 at 02:19 PM..

Old 10-18-2011, 12:22 PM

Reviews: 10

I have a RG520QS and it is a rockin guitar...your project sounds like fun but it might be much less expensive to buy a used RG520QS - then you get the mahogany/rosewood combo you're looking for - and then you can make any minor mods that you want...I've seen RG 520's come up for sale fairly regularly....they are very nice guitars and they seem to show up on evilbay and CL for about $400 US...just a thought...
Old 10-31-2011, 10:31 PM

Reviews: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by doriangrey View Post
I have a RG520QS and it is a rockin guitar...your project sounds like fun but it might be much less expensive to buy a used RG520QS - then you get the mahogany/rosewood combo you're looking for - and then you can make any minor mods that you want...I've seen RG 520's come up for sale fairly regularly....they are very nice guitars and they seem to show up on evilbay and CL for about $400 US...just a thought...
But it would still be a maple neck, no? I think the OP is after a mahogany neck back with a rosewood board.

In terms of tone it should sound similar to a Les Paul type guitar as long as the wings of the body are mahogany as well. You might not get as much bite from the maple cap as you would expect; I think it is the received wisdom that with a neck thru the wood of the neck has much more of a bearing on the tone of the guitar. I personally prefer a set neck to a thru-neck, but if that is what you want then I am sure it will work well.

I would be tempted to add a walnut stripe in the the neck or an ebony fret board to add a little more bite to the tone.

That mahogany/maple/rosewood construction is good, but I think the bottom end can get a bit too flabby, and there isn't quite enough upper mid or top response to be perfect, to my ears anyway.

Once I get the workshop up and running, and once I've made an all Australian tone-wood guitar I am thinking of a similar build, but using a set neck, paduak back with a maple or walnut top and a flame maple neck and ebony board. I think that might end up being perfect for me in terms of the native tone, sustain and attack.
Old 10-31-2011, 10:43 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

I've got two: DT-420 and an RG-20062. Both sound very good.
Old 10-31-2011, 11:11 PM
(a)

Reviews: 2

I really love your idea.....It's something Ibanez has needed in the lineup for a long time, although I think some of the GB's had mahogany necks...I'm not sure though.

For a really unique and somewhat more stable neck-thru you might think about doing a 5 piece rosewood/mahogany neck with the majority of the meat being rosewood.

Santos Rosewood (Morado) is readily available, considerably harder than mahogany, and quite a bit more stable. You'll also get the added benefit of the mid/high "bite" that nickcoumbe is talking about. This construction with either a cocobolo or ebony fretboard would be amazing........

You could also use stainless frets for a bit more high end snap on the strings.

FWIW......Santos rosewood is beautiful to look at as well.

These are some pieces of mine......I spent less than $8.00 on the lot of it.

In these pics, I made the pickguard and cavity covers with Santos rose...

Tags
custom , ibanez rg , ibanez s

Show/Hide Posting Rules