<back   Jemsite > Toolbox: Setup, Repairs and Mods > Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods

Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

Old 02-21-2008, 09:11 PM

Exclamation

Edge III to Edge Pro

Hello everyone, first i want to say - if i make mistake, sorry, my english is bad

I have a Ibanez Jem555 '07 guitar with EDGE III on it.
I want to buy a EDGE-PRO tremolo, but i afraid that EDGE-PRO have a different width between basic bolts on guitar
Does anybody know EDGE-PRO dimensions? Can i retrofit it with no/minimum routing on guitar?
Old 02-22-2008, 06:37 AM

Reviews: 4

Re: Edge III to Edge Pro

Er... Dood... Sell that 555 and buy a (real) JEM!
Old 02-22-2008, 09:07 AM

Don't tell him to do that. What if he is happy with the 555? I'm sure he would buy a "real" JEM if he had the money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim4 View Post
Hello everyone, first i want to say - if i make mistake, sorry, my english is bad

I have a Ibanez Jem555 '07 guitar with EDGE III on it.
I want to buy a EDGE-PRO tremolo, but i afraid that EDGE-PRO have a different width between basic bolts on guitar
Does anybody know EDGE-PRO dimensions? Can i retrofit it with no/minimum routing on guitar?
Hello.

I think it will work. Maybe try sending a private message to a member here called nuno. He has replaced EIII with EP, as far as I know.

Good luck.

And welcome to Jemsite. By the way, your English is pretty good.
Old 02-22-2008, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Guitar View Post
Er... Dood... Sell that 555 and buy a (real) JEM!
This is why people hate guitar forums. Man not everyone can even save up for a JEM777
Old 02-22-2008, 09:31 AM

Thanks guys..
----
Off. It's really hard to get old Jem7 in China, because it's very expensive and nobody want to buy Jem'08... it's really worst for 2300$ guitar.
Old 02-22-2008, 09:41 AM
(a)

Reviews: 18

No need to pm nuno about the swap, here's the link to the old thread:

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68062

There's nothing special you need to do in order to swap the trems unless you're going to install the locking studs (which should add about 10 minutes to the overall install). You should be able to pull off the Edge III and put the Edge Pro in there without any issues.

Jimmy
Old 02-22-2008, 10:57 AM

All I'm stating is that I really don't think the 555 is worthy of "investing" in mods!

But hey... this is only my opinion!
Old 02-22-2008, 11:07 AM

It is worthy, if all you can afford is a 555. You'd want to make it better too, wouldn't you? I would.

On the other hand, I wouldn't buy a 555 in the first place. The RG550 is the true budget JEM. That's what it was designed for.
Old 02-22-2008, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee View Post
The RG550 is the true budget JEM. That's what it was designed for.
BINGO!!!
Old 02-25-2008, 04:05 AM
(a)

Reviews: 13

By changing the trem (upgrading) doesn't this negate the whinge that most people have with the 555? I think that upgrading the trem is a wise move.

I hope it works out for you Tim.

-Wolfram
Old 02-25-2008, 09:33 PM

From experience, upgrading the trem for a guitar you want to keep, makes sense to me. When it comes time to sell, the upgrade seems to be worthless as all 3 JEM555's that I have upgraded the trem, did not sell as well as a stock 555. Go figure!! If you want to keep it, make it right for you.
Old 05-01-2010, 01:17 AM

i just bought a used '07 XPT700 Xiphos... The second i got home i ripped out the Edge III and installed an Edge Pro i had laying around. Total improvement in tone, feel, and sustain. Awesome upgrade!!
Old 05-01-2010, 01:19 AM

oooppss.... oh yeah, forgot to mention, absolutely no routing or modding of the instrument at all. Just take off one trem and stick the other one in!!!!! =)
Old 05-04-2010, 01:54 AM

Reviews: 9

If when you change the tem and it doesn't stay in tune, change the trem posts to Schaller if they use the same threads on them, this will sort out any tuning stability you come across.
Old 07-01-2010, 07:37 PM

Well I actually investigating about this matter, I found a interesting page talking about compatibility between those tremolos digs. Which mean what type of tremolos fits well on cavity of other and not.

On that page it shows pics of the successfull and unsuccesfull cases. The only problem it's that page is wrote on Italian. Here is the link World dot Wide dot Wet dot guitarmigi.it/_Tips/CompFloyd.html (I cannot post links now)

That page shows that Edge Pro and Original Floyd Rose Fits very well on the Edge III cavity and the distance of the tremolos studs is the same. The other ibanez (Lo-edge, edge) and Schaller don't fit on the edge iii cavity.

Another think is must of ibanes guitars have 400mm radius and floyd rose is made for radius of 10'' more or less. 10'' to mm is about 250mm so, you probably gonna be a problem of buzz or death notes with ORF on Ibanez guitars, excepts JS, which use similar radius to floyd rose.

If you don't kwon what is the guitar radius, let me explain. The fingerboard is not flat, is curved from 6th to 1th strings in almost perfect circle. Image a line going from your finger board to the back of the neck and extending to the magnitude of the radius, that line is the radius naturaly. Then your fingerbord become a little section of the circle. If the radius changed, the fingerborad curvature change too.

That explain why you must probably have problems of excesive buzz or death notes with OFR. However, you can use Shim Set for Locking Saddles, it can be found in parts stores and are used to raise your floyd rose Saddles. If you use a OFR, you probably must buy a Shim Set.

The other think is the anchors of the OFR and perhaps Edge Pro are diferent to the anchors of Edge III. So you have to drill to expand the cavity of anchors. You can let the same studs of the Edge III, but I think a tremolo replacement have to reaplace everything to works fine.

I think that the Edge Pro is the best option, because it has the radius of most ibanez guitars and is more compatible, perhaps the anchors dimentions are the same.

For last, be carefull, there is a variation of Edge Pro which is or was used in JS guitars which was made to works with diferent radius. Buy the standar, no the Edge Pro of JS guitars.

Tags
ibanez jem, locking stud, locking studs, pro tremolo

Show/Hide Posting Rules