Edge3 Replacement Tremolo - Page 5 - Jemsite
<back   Jemsite > Toolbox: Setup, Repairs and Mods > Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

Old 08-26-2008, 03:02 AM

Re: Edge3 Replacement Tremolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuno View Post
i had the chance to make some trem-to-cavity fitting experiment lately and i ended up with the following results:

• Edge/LoPro trem on EdgePro/EdgePro II cavity: NO

• Edge/LoPro trem on Edge-III: cavity: NO

• EdgePro/EdgePro II trem on Edge/LoPro cavity: YES

• EdgePro/EdgePro II trem on Edge-III cavity: YES

• Floyd Rose/Schaller trem on EdgePro/EdgePro II cavity: NO

• Floyd Rose/Schaller trem on Edge-III cavity: NO

check pics HERE. sorry, italian only, but pics pretty much explain themselves

I did some Google-translating for a bit, and, thanks to Google, here's nuno's Italian trem-swap guide, translated into English. (well, pretty much..)

http://translate.google.com.my/trans...3DIxX%26sa%3DG

BTW, nuno, thanks a lot dude! Not everyone are able to experiment all this trem swapping thing and this page is making things a lot clearer to peeps! Cheers!
Old 12-08-2008, 04:20 PM

wow awesome thread, answers pretty much all routing questions. However Tremelo studs and stud insert sizes are not covered. I got an RG520 and tried to put an Edge III in it temporarily, the routing has room to spare, but the studs fall down into the much larger stud inserts on the RG520. Perhaps if I purchased the studs for an Egde, that would work?
Does the Edge pro studs screw right into the Original Ege Stud inserts?

Can someone post the various Stud, and stud insert sizes and there compatibility between all the ibanez tremelos' and the floyd's that would be awesome.

Since this thread answers all routing compatibility questions, and hopefully someone will add the stud, and stud insert compatibilty info.

*I vote this thread be stickied, either hear or the mods thread. *

this would cut down on alot of new posts and searching.

Last edited by aaron268; 12-08-2008 at 04:27 PM..
Old 12-09-2008, 04:23 AM

thanks to all, guys. anyway, i finally had the chance to use a real Original Floyd Rose trem for a swap session (instead of the Schaller Floyd i used earlier, that i thought it was pretty much identical in sizes and shape), and i ended up re-editing the whole Trems Compatibility page, and these are the updated results (ordered by cavity type):

on IBANEZ EDGE-III cavity:

• Ibanez Edge into Edge-III cavity: NO

• Ibanez Lo-Pro Edge into Edge-III cavity: NO

• Ibanez Edge-Pro into Edge-III cavity: YES

• Original Floyd Rose into Edge-III cavity: YES

• Schaller Floyd Rose into Edge-III cavity: NO

on IBANEZ EDGE/LoPro EDGE cavity:

• Original Floyd Rose into Ibanez Edge/LoPro Edge cavity: YES

• Ibanez Edge-Pro into Ibanez Edge/LoPro Edge cavity: YES

on IBANEZ EDGE-PRO/EDGE-PRO II cavity:

• Ibanez Edge into Ibanez Edge-Pro/Edge-Pro II cavity: NO

• Ibanez Lo-Pro Edge into Ibanez Edge-Pro/Edge-Pro II cavity: NO

• Original Floyd Rose into Ibanez Edge-Pro/Edge-Pro II cavity: YES

• Schaller Floyd Rose into Ibanez Edge-Pro/Edge-Pro II cavity: NO

on Original FLOYD ROSE cavity:

• Ibanez Edge into Original Floyd Rose cavity: YES

• Ibanez Lo-Pro Edge into Original Floyd Rose cavity: YES

the TRS/LoTRS/LoTRS-II cavities are not covered as ANY Floyd licensed trem (except maybe Kahler Floyds) can be easily installed in those, no works needed.

pics HERE

Last edited by nuno; 12-12-2008 at 03:25 AM.. Reason: aspx tp html conversion

Old 02-02-2009, 01:18 AM

Just curious Nuno, did you use the RG320FM - Marcello?
http://www.ibanez87.it/english/galle...-marcello.aspx

From there it seems that the guitar is made in 2004 and equipped with the EdgeProII instead of EdgeIII. And from my experience, the EdgeProII route does accept the EdgePro trem. Not sure about the EdgeIII route.

Great thread btw
Old 02-02-2009, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpickin03 View Post
Just curious Nuno, did you use the RG320FM - Marcello
no, it was a '05 RG320FMAM (#CP05038425), with an Edge-III
Old 02-02-2009, 11:46 AM

cool deal
Old 02-02-2009, 10:27 PM

Reviews: 2

So do Gotoh and/or Ping count as OFR or Schaller?
Old 02-03-2009, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxeHappy View Post
So do Gotoh and/or Ping count as OFR or Schaller?
Gotoh does. Ping, it depends on which one, as Ping makes either TRS-style trem (wide wings), and Floyd-type (narrow wings). of course, Floyd-type Ping trems count as OFR and Schaller.

*WARNING*

Schaller cavities are NOT compatible to OFR trems as they have short room for the string lock screws (the long screws that stick out underneath the trem tail). Schaller (also Jackson JT trems) string lock screws are SHORT, while OFR/Gotoh are LONG, and so their cavities respectively. so,OFR/Gotoh can't fit into Schaller/JT cavities. hope this helps.
Old 02-03-2009, 04:13 PM

Agreed good thread. Too bad the Ibanez Edge-Pro is even more expensive than the OFR. It's almost better to pick up a used Prestige and either use it instead or strip it if it's beat up or you have a mahogany neck thru RGT or something different.

It's too bad the Edge III is such garbage. I know some people find it serviceable but it's honestly crap in comparison to any other tremelo I've ever used. Even my LOW-TRS in the JEM555 was better and people tend to hate that. The main issue I have is that the tremelo arm is completely useless. It's too thin, too short, not enough angle and worst of all it just sits in there and usually falls out. If it does work for you (which it does when you first get it) it shakes around in the hole and has terrible action. The other major problem is the weak metal which is so soft it's easy to strip the screws. My bridge remains semi-fixed since i have little reason to float it.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:30 PM

Reviews: 6

Would an Ibanez ZR trem fit?
Old 02-03-2009, 09:49 PM

Reviews: 2

No, I don't believe so.

I had a BC Rich NJ series Beast (before they had Ebony Fretboards early 2000s) and the trem on it was much worse than the Edge 3 in my Xiphos. You couldn't even think about touching the bar or it would go out of tune.

I also haven't had any problems with the bar not staying tight (I like a pretty stiff bar...) unlike the Edge Pro 2 with would go loose on me after one dive. In fact I think I prefer the Edge Pro 3 to the Edge Pro 2 overall but they still both suck.

Which is why this thread is so useful. I would like to put one of those officially floyd rose Pings in but I'm horribly confused as to whether it will fit in the Edge 3 spot as I don't feel like dropping the $300+tax(CDN) it will cost me to get an Edge Pro.
Old 02-09-2009, 01:26 PM

Hi! I've just replaced the Edge III trem on my JS-100 with an Edge Pro and it fits perfectly! The only problem is that the studs that came with the Edge Pro don't fit into the Edge III anchor inserts; the new studs are thicker and the the threads are different. Is there a (safe) way to get the old inserts out and put the Pro ones in? I'd like to get the most out of this trem upgrade and the Edge III studs are as awful as the rest of this tremolo, qualitywise. Any help is very much appreciated!
Old 02-09-2009, 04:59 PM

Reviews: 120

Check out the tutorials on www.projectguitar.com. There is one on pulling studs and replacing them.
Old 02-10-2009, 07:47 AM

Thanks for the great link!! However, the anchors on my guitar look slightly different. The actual inserts are covered by some kind of metal bar (see link). I think those are the anchors that are usually used with Edge Pro II trems. Any experience with this kind of inserts? Can they just be pulled out the same way?

http://ibanezjs100mod.blogspot.com/
Old 02-10-2009, 05:12 PM

Reviews: 120

I reckon it should be able to, but someone like Nuno should be able to give you a more concrete answer.

Tags
base plate , floyd rose , floyd rose pro , ibanez dealer , lopro trem , neck shim , pro edge , schaller trem , string lock

Show/Hide Posting Rules