Edge3 Replacement Tremolo - Page 7 - Jemsite
<back   Jemsite > Toolbox: Setup, Repairs and Mods > Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

Old 06-13-2009, 03:51 PM

Re: Edge3 Replacement Tremolo

I think I need top mount nut, since screws are turned from the pad, fingerboard area, my guitar is rgt42 from 07, if I'm wrong tell me. What about bridge's radius, any design for shims or tips to share to correct the 10" radius?
Old 06-13-2009, 05:24 PM

Thought only the Prestige guitars got the top mount? There's no screws through the neck? If it's got a top mount, Gotoh makes both versions, just get the top-mount one.

You can't shim the radius on a locking nut. You can shim it until the E strings are the right height, but all the rest of the strings will be high at the nut. Would probably seriously mess with the tuning at the first fret, and make it harder to play.

Again, I would leave the stock over using a 10" radius OFR nut.
Old 06-13-2009, 08:15 PM

O thanks man, I didn't know what top/rear mount meant, I thought you could turn the screws form the top or from the back of the neck. So its rear mount, screws going through the neck. I suppose i'll shim the bridge and get the gotoh nut. Any place that ships to other countries and handles gotoh (I found that guitar parts depot does not ship to other countries)
Which bridge should I get, gotoh or OFR? I prefer OFR but gotoh is cheaper and it has the brass block to improve sustain.

Old 06-13-2009, 08:55 PM

I would just get the Gotoh trem, as they are the same quality as an OFR for cheaper. I only got the OFR because I found a deal on a slightly used one.

As for international shipping, I would check the e(vil)bay, I've seen a couple sellers on there with Gotoh stuff. Any Allparts dealer should be able to get you Gotoh hardware as well.
Old 06-14-2009, 03:34 PM

Thanks, I'll see which one I can get cheaper, maybe gotoh would be, but shipping could result in a more expensive trem. Don't know, thanks for your help buds.
Old 06-16-2009, 01:36 AM

Ok, after lots of research about dealers I found that only a few people ship to Mexico, there are not many gotoh sellers in evil bay and the prices vary.
From the pages i got info the original floyd was 180-199 in black, silver a little bit cheaper. Evil bay original floyd prices go over 220 to 240, 270, 290 and even 320. I do not know the reason, but I think that I'll stick with $180 black OFR and ask a friend living in the US to send a gotoh, stick with edge 3 nut or ask a luthier if he can modify OFR nut
Old 07-14-2009, 04:01 AM

Alright, so let me just clarify things then:

If I bought an Edge-Pro to replace the Edge III in my RG4EX1, would there be any real work involved?

Thanks.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:40 AM

Reviews: 21

I put a lo-pro edge trem into a Xiphos about a year ago, or now I think about it perhaps a little longer, but it wouldn't directly drop in.

The underside was fine, the trem fit down into the cavity without issue, the problem came with the back ridges of the trem. It needed a body route with a dremmel to take off a bit of wood at the back so the trem physically fit around the edges.

Otherwise, not too difficult.
It's for sale as it goes.
Old 07-17-2009, 02:23 AM

To Hunter Wingate: If your guitar has Edge 3 and you bought an Edge Pro I assume you shouldn't have to route anything, direct replacement.
Old 07-17-2009, 02:24 AM

To d1m3b4g2: How much for that Xiphos? Which color is it? Would you ship to Mexico? Send me a PM
Old 07-17-2009, 05:09 PM

Alright, sweet, thanks.
Old 07-27-2009, 05:22 AM

No problem man
Old 08-06-2009, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaireau189 View Post
@Yanic: nuno's pics earlier in this thread suggest that upbendings should be no problem with an OFR in an Edge III cavity. At any rate, I wouldn't route anything before I hold the thing in my hands and see whether there is actually a problem.

Has anyone experience with drilling out the Edge III anchor holes to fit in the larger Edge Pro inserts? I'd like to know how risky this business is, before I decide whether I want to try it. What diameter should the holes be, so that the new inserts fit tightly? Many thanks!
yes i did that mod to my crapy 350 dx

here is the way that this mod
1-remove the plastick thing from the ancours-and then remove the screws
2-put in the orginals studs to the anchours and try to force to get it out from studs(hould the studs with a pense or something strog)..because its the only safe way to get them
3-if it(second step) does not work---find one of the anchours is near the back tremolo cavity.i explain this because you have to drill with a 2 mm drill from back of the ancour.and with a small screw driver and litle hammer you have to hammer and get the one of the anchour out..if it goes litle far to away you will able to to get it out easyly
4-you have to drill the anchour post with a litle bit small diameter drill and then litle finish work with a sanding papper inside the holes
5-take in the new anchours in side the holes an then litle force with a hammer and dont forget to take a piece of rubber on the new anchour...
6-same job to the other anchour and wallaaaaa----

one of my friend asked if anybody paint the trems???
no due no way forget about it because there is no paint on it.there is special hot electrolise cover on it.so it can not paintanyway if you that 3-4 days later it will worn out
Old 08-10-2009, 04:58 PM

hey .. i have an ibanez rg 370b with edge pro II ..can anyone tell me if any other tem would fit into my guitar without any routing ?
another thing i have a jackson rx10d copy guitar with a licensed floyd rose ..i read somewhere that an original floyd rose would fit any licensed floyd rose ...would like to know if its true ?
thanx
Old 08-11-2009, 01:57 AM

livfstdieyoung: I think that you can change your edge pro II for a Schaller, but I do not know about which other bridges could fit without mods. About the Jackson I cant really know, maybe other user can help you, but no, OFR does not always fit every licensed model that easy

Tags
base plate , floyd rose , floyd rose pro , ibanez dealer , lopro trem , neck shim , pro edge , schaller trem , string lock

Show/Hide Posting Rules