<back   Jemsite > Toolbox: Setup, Repairs and Mods > Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods

Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

Old 09-05-2008, 02:48 AM

Floating Trem setup for Drop D

I am going to setup a Rg Giger 1 for drop D with a floating Trem so I can play via style songs like Bad Horsie. Can anyone give me some advice on what this is going to take and prehaps help me avoid to time consuming mistakes?
Old 09-05-2008, 09:45 AM

Re: Floating Trem setup for Drop D

Depending on the string guage you use, you may want to go with 2 springs instead of 3. In any case, you will need to fuss with the claw adjustment. Best way to avoid spending too much time on that is to cut a small block of wood(unless you have a Tremel-No) that fits under the back of the bridge so it is blobked in the correct level or nuetral position, string up and tune the guitar as desired, lock the nut, remove the block(the whole guitar will go sharp) and back out the claw until the guitar is back at the correct pitch(fine tune and minor adjustments from there)
Old 09-10-2008, 11:49 PM

OK I have messed with this for several days because I wanted to figure it out, but I am at my end, everytime I try tuning up the guitar the bridge keep getting higher and higher until it looks like I am dive bombing the thingand even then I am still a whole step flat. I have tried tuning the string in different orders, I have tried strongest springs I could find (I have 3) with the trem I cannot add anymore than that.

It is probally an easy solution but I cannot figure out what to do from here. I just want the trem to be able to pull up 1/2 step while in drop d tuning. I do not intend on using this guitar for any other tunings so once it is setup then I am good to go.

I am using 56 to 11 gauge strings with an Ibanez giger RG series 1 I am not sure what series the tremolo is but is in the stock issued trem for this guitar.
Old 09-11-2008, 08:42 AM
(a)

put in a 4th spring and see how it goes
Old 09-11-2008, 09:41 AM

You're not getting enough spring tension to balance your string tension. You have to either increase your spring tension (adjust your trem claw screws, add more springs, or use stronger springs), or you have to decrease your string tension (use a lighter gauge of string).

There isn't much else you can do -- physics won't make an exception for a guitar set-up.

Did you try tightening your trem claw?
Old 09-12-2008, 03:37 AM

I have tightened the claw all the way on both sides. I cannot add springs due the construction of the trem unit only allows for 3. I have also redone the spring so they all clip to the mid 3 clips of the claw to add more tension. I will try and find some stiffer springs and use a set of 10's for the A to high E strings instead of the 11's. I have nearly 20 guitars and have never had one do this to this degree. The freakin trem look perpendicular to the body and I still am not at standard tuning.
Old 09-12-2008, 03:39 AM
(a)
Vendor

Use the block lock holes for additional springs.

Tags
drop d

Show/Hide Posting Rules