<back   Jemsite > Toolbox: Setup, Repairs and Mods > Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods

Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

Old 09-05-2001, 02:48 PM

Floyd Rose help... - strings feel REALLY tight...

Hey guys ! I have a Dillion 7-string with *a Floyd on it, and ever since i've had it, it's felt like the strings are REALLY tight. As in it's really hard to bend a note up a full step. I've changed strings a couple times to no real effect, so it must be in the trem. It has 4 springs in the back , is that normal? Remember, it is a 7 string. Also, whenever i push the bar down for a REALLY deep divebomb, i can hear the springs creak a bit. Is that normal ? I will say one thing, though, it stays in tune like you wouldn't beleive ! WAAAAAAY better than my friends $2600 Wolfgang...and it's a $300 guitar! Hahaha! Anyway, help would be appreciated! Thanks, Ben
Old 09-05-2001, 03:25 PM
(a)
Administrator

Reviews: 1

Floyd Rose help...

make sure the trem springs are not rubbing on the cavity anywhere. Seems like it's just stiff and this is not unexpected from an OFR variety 7-string bridge. The string tension makes for a tighter tremolo. Try lighter gauge strings for more comfort and easy bending, as the tremolo will not effect that... glen
Old 09-05-2001, 06:29 PM

Floyd Rose help...

Try taking one of the springs out so you just have three springs in the back.
Old 09-05-2001, 11:08 PM

Floyd Rose help...

Quote:
Quote: from Jupiter on 1:48 pm on Sep. 5, 2001
Also, whenever i push the bar down for a REALLY deep divebomb, i can hear the springs creak a bit. Is that normal ?
Hi Ben and welcome to the Jemsite forum!

Some people have been known to take cotton balls and put them inbetween their trem springs to quiet them up a bit. The amount of creaking vary's depending on the springs themsleves and also the age of them........
Old 09-06-2001, 07:19 AM

Floyd Rose help...

Take a spring out! You'll find everything bends a lot better. 3 springs seems to work fine!

How old is the guitsr? If it's new then it might just be that the springs ar a bit stiff...Use some cotton wool, this did seem to alleviate the problem when my bcrich was doing that (when it was new).
Old 09-14-2001, 02:13 PM

Floyd Rose help...

Hey guys, sorry i took so long to reply... * * * * * * * These all sound like good suggestions. I think taking a spring out would probably do the trick for me. But is it okay to run 3 springs on a seven string? Does anybody else here do that ? I bought the guitar in February of this year, and have used the trem quite a bit. MAN , you all wouldn't beleive how well these things stay in tune ! Buy one to at least modify, or use as a backup or something ! Anyway, back to the springs...do i just yank a spring out, or do i have to take the strings off to remove tension from the springs? I suppose i would change the formation of the springs, too. * Thanks for putting up with *my stupid guiatr tech questions , guys ! -+ben+- * *
Old 09-14-2001, 03:37 PM

Reviews: 3

Floyd Rose help...

My old UV ran 3 springs just fine... some people have problems with it though so you'll have to experiment.

As far as your high string tension (causing the stiffness)... there are tons of causes...

Here are some of the obvious ones to check
-Truss rod relief (a pefectly straight neck or an upward bow will cause heavy string tension... you want a slight bow for easy bending)
-Trem angle (maybe angle it forward a little - IE so the fine tuners are further away from the body rather than closer)
-Spring tension "trem play" - Dropping down to 3 springs will allow your trem to move more freely

I've amounted a ton of other theories on string tension but a lot are just for seriously anal-retentive fine tuning, and probably won't help you... stuff along the lines of pickup height, neck joint angle/height, string composition... etc... Try the above, possibly with the help of a local guitar tech... and you should be good to go.

Also, the cotton ball idea should work for silencing your trem, unless you want to route the cavity a little deeper...
Old 09-15-2001, 08:55 AM

Floyd Rose help...

both of my seven stringers have 3 springs with no problem, if it is a new guiatr it will probably loosen up anyway but 3 springs is plenty, take one out !
Old 09-18-2001, 10:25 PM

Floyd Rose help...

Only use 4 or more springs if you are using heavier strings. 3 springs is all you'll need for 9's.

Tags
gauge strings, guitar tech, neck joint, pickup height, straight neck, string bridge, string tension, trem springs, truss rod

Show/Hide Posting Rules