FrankenRG version 2. Claro Walnut Topped RG - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 09:56 AM Thread Starter

FrankenRG version 2. Claro Walnut Topped RG

Hello Jemsite,

I've been working this summer on this project a few hours a week. A RG2ex2 that I hollowed out, added a figured walnut top, and routed for a wilkinson gotoh tremolo. Here are the progress pics, and the picture as it stands now with everything but the final finishing and electronics. The body lost about 300 grams of mass with the hollowing and tremolo routing.

Removal of body binding, finish, and 4mm removed for the top:

gluing the first half of the top:

the second half:

bending for the arm contour (thanks to andyt's method of clamps/wetrags/time:

more bending:

filled the binding channel with JBweld and routed it kinda flush:

on the table with most of the routing and sanding done, and the bridge on just to check alignment of everything, no flash:

It plays pretty well, and I love the feel of the wilkinson tremolo. It was a little bit of a gamble, but the reviews were good. I'm trying to pore fill this walnut now with z-poxy, and that's proving to be a pain. Hopefully I'll be able to do the spraying before it gets too cold.

Enjoy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 09:58 AM

Re: FrankenRG version 2. Claro Walnut Topped RG

WOW!! super cool! I saw the 1st pic and was like, " where is this going"??
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 12:49 PM

Reviews: 17

Is that filler in the side?

Looks awesome, great inspiration
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 04:58 PM

Reviews: 4

Awwe man, that is cool!!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 07:13 PM

Reviews: 13

your guitar has crop circles in it. I bet it sounds cool, cuz this is otherworldly technology lmao
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 01:25 AM

Reviews: 34

cool stuff
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 09:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedabob View Post
Is that filler in the side?

Looks awesome, great inspiration
'tis jb weld epoxy for filler. I couldn't get the bend to stick with wood glue, so I went for the gap filling power of epoxy. I put it in a syringe and filled the whole binding channel at the same time. I'll be painting over the ugly grey line eventually.

Also, of note. Titebond III is not a great glue for guitars, cause it sands poorly. There were some spots in the binding channel that had gobs of the titebond, and I had to scrape those out with a razor and replace it with epoxy. What a pain.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

Update on the guitar. No new pictures, but I've put in a stewmac golden age pickup and shielded/wired it with master volume, master tone. Tone is fine, what I'm really loving is the quality of the tremolo action. The bar feel is similar to my friends original edge, it has some decent flutter, and here's the best part, even when floating, it tolerates double stops without making the other strings going noticeably out of tune. I don't know how it accomplishes this, but it's not nearly as pronounced as my floyds. I usually block off my floyds and make them dive only, but with the wilkinson, 9-42s, and 2 springs in the straight configuration, it's very stable.

Anyways, thought y'all like to know. The trem is great with locking tuners and a little oil on the nut.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-03-2012, 09:36 AM Thread Starter

All done! I love it. Pickups are dimarzio cruiser (awesome), area 61 (pretty similar to cruiser), then stewmac golden age vintage. I like the trem, and the weight reduction is good. Also, I'm enjoying the fingerboard scalloping. Makes playing most thing a little easier. Kinda fun knowing the whole thing cost about $400 USD. Nice walnut eh? the figure really came out when I grain filled it.

Shout-out to Andyt for the forearm contour bending technique. Worked like a charm. It's finished with 2 coats of z-poxy for grain filling, then 6 coats of minwax fast drying poly on the top, and 3 coats of krylon fusion for the sides and back (black). I got the ibanez decal from best-decal.com.

I'm a strat-kinda guy, but I never cared for their looks, small frets, fat necks, square neck heels, or pickguards. This is my 'response' to the superstrat Looks kindof like a 24-fret S series with a walnut top and a strat style trem (this gotoh unit does have locking studs, though

shots:

Last edited by andrewgosline; 08-03-2012 at 09:44 AM.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-03-2012, 10:10 AM

body style reminds me of the red one Paul Gilbert used to play. that is a great looking axe. I love it when a plan comes together! great job my friend!
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-03-2012, 10:17 AM Thread Starter

That's true, I also did something a little paul gilbert-esque by putting the controls way down and out of the way. Another thing I dislike about strats, and even some stock ibanez guitars is how close the switch and volume knob are to the hand moving-strum-ish area. I always knock the switch and knob
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-03-2012, 10:22 AM

very nice ! I would try something like this myself, not glue the rounded shoulder properly and it would probably pop back up at some point, lol.
Looks great though.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-03-2012, 03:55 PM

looks great...and I thought les pauls has some swiss cheese

Tags
hollow body , ibanez rg , refinishing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode