<back   Jemsite > Toolbox: Setup, Repairs and Mods > Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods

Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

Old 10-19-2001, 07:30 PM

Fret buzz with standard action? - How much? My 7V sounds buz

2mm low E, 12th fret.
Picked heavy 1.14mm pick. Buzzes... A LOT.

How much buzz is expected if set up with standard action.
Something is terribly wrong and I have a hole in my chest because of it.

Honestly, my 555 is far outplaying my 7V in terms of action and buzz.

HOW MUCH BUZZ IS EXPECTED WITH STANDARD IBANEZ BOOK ACTION?
Old 10-20-2001, 05:25 PM

Fret buzz with standard action?

The guitars basically have no set up at all from the factory.. if I were you, I'd *just take it to a tech to get the bridge lubricated, rebalanced, and set up.
Old 10-20-2001, 06:11 PM

Yeah people have been saying that. I am comparing it to JS Clone 2s JS1000BP. It's a J-Custom and the action is LOW without buzz. Let's hope Long &amp; McQuade has some good techs...
Old 10-20-2001, 07:50 PM

Has anyone here that has a 7VWH brought theirs to a tech to have it customed? Did it work out to your satisfaction?

Could you get 2mm Low E(not fretted) with minimal to no buzz (when fretted)?
Old 10-21-2001, 02:27 AM

Eep.. I have bad experience with Long &amp; McQuade.

I spent a lot of time trying to get my JEM7VWH's action right. I was able to get it low, but with lots of buzz. After a few weeks of tweaking, I gave in and went to a tech. $50 later, my JEM plays FAR better than I had it working, with lower action and less buzz. Still not as low as my strat (which has FREAKISHLY low action with zero buzz) but very low.

I'd say it would be a good thing to at least know of a good tech in town. Check out a bunch, look at their shops, ask them questions. There are a three big players here in Calgary, Miles Jones at Fretworks, Judy Threet, and Jim Mozell at Axe Music. Miles Jones is a waste of your time and money.

I nearly shelled out $6000 to take a course from him, learning to repair and build guitars. After about 2 hours at his shop asking some questions, I was sure that I didn't want anything to do with the guy; beside the fact that his shirt was hanging out of his fly the whole time, he seemed to be scrambling to do something in the back before he let me into the shop, and when he did let me back, he spoke very strangely and slowly, and there were many sticks of freshly lit incense. Didn't exactly give me the most positive impression of the guy I was going to trust my expensive instruments to. Later on he showed me his photo album, and guitar after guitar, he admitted to screwing them up. "Oh yeah, this one I ****ed up the bridge real badly," "This one is a Tom Song guitar that I actually built and sold under the Song Guitars name.." etc etc. His shop was filthy, poorly lit, his tools were makeshift, and when I was there for just over 2 hours, there wasn't another customer in sight in the middle of a business day. I believe he makes his money from his training courses, not his guitar repair business. So it was a no brainer, I wasn't going to have anything to do with him.

Judy Threet is a delightful woman who's very good at what she does; I've seen a natural finish flying V she repaired which had a section about 3"x4" ripped out of the lower horn, and she repaired it so you could never tell it happened. Unfortunetly, she decided to start her own acoustic guitar building business a while ago and doesn't do that kind of thing anymore.

Jim Mozell is a great guy. He's always happy to answer questions, polite, and gives good estimates on times and costs. His work is top notch, his shop is clean, well lit, and there always seems to be at least two other customers there waiting to talk to him, but he won't rush his appointment with me to get through customers.

So I've rambled a lot.. What's my point? Finding a good tech is like finding a good mechanic. To really make sure your guitar is in the best hands, you need to meet the tech, and make sure he/she is competent, trustworthy, and gets more out of working with guitars than just a few bucks. Don't expect a high performance tuning when you drop off your car at Minute Muffler.
Old 10-21-2001, 11:16 AM

Thanks a whole lot Kremlin. That's excellent advice. Miles Jones... LOL!!!!!

Well I still do need to know how low you guys get your Low E over the 12th fret in mm.

Dang production models... they practically require a tech.
So tech jobs cost around $50?

L&amp;M isn't an Ibanez dealer for tech?
Old 10-21-2001, 09:27 PM

Ok here's some questions I really need to know from some experienced people here on jemsite.

#1 Truss rod: How far for optimal low action? Mine is all the way out... almost completely loose.

#2 Action: How high is your action over the 12th fret Low E without pressing the string in mm?

#3 What is the lowest you've had your action with buzzing?

#4 If SSV designed the JEM for high action, what can I do to get it to the 2mm mark (12th fret, Low E, no string pressure) without buzzing?
Old 10-21-2001, 10:07 PM
(a)
Vendor

Quote:
Quote: from YngVaiTriani on 9:27 pm on Oct. 21, 2001

#4 If SSV designed the JEM for high action, what can I do to get it to the 2mm mark (12th fret, Low E, no string pressure) without buzzing?
Somehow you always make bad assumptions, I never said it was *designed* with high action! It's set-up with high action at the factory, to SSV's spec, is what I said.

I once had a friend trade in a 7v I had sold and set-up for him. The action was now about .75-1mm low, .5 high at the 12th. Of course he was proud of the setup, at how low it was. So low you couldn't hear the buzz, the strings were completely choked. He loved it like this, but it had absolutely no tone whatsoever. (which in a way is a unique tone of it's own, just not for me)
Old 10-21-2001, 11:08 PM

Well alright then. They're set up like that.
I really need these questions answered by experiened JEM people so I can further assess my situation. This is totally unacceptable on a 7V that's barely been played. Buzzes like crazy even when higher than 2mm 12th fret Low E. I'm ready to whip it through a window.
Old 10-21-2001, 11:23 PM
(a)
Administrator

Reviews: 1

Quote:
#1 Truss rod: How far for optimal low action? Mine is all the way out... almost completely loose.
just lenough to stop buzzing from frets 1 thru 7-9 or so

Quote:
#2 Action: How high is your action over the 12th fret Low E without pressing the string in mm?
i don't measure when doing setups, but if you pick lightly the low-E can be pretty low. The setup guide (GUITARS) has some real measurements taken from a VWH of mine setup w/ ultra-low but very playable action.

Quote:
#3 What is the lowest you've had your action with buzzing?
depends on how hard you pick.

Quote:
the JEM is designed as a very playable superstrat. You can have very low action if you don't have a heavy picking hand and forgo some pull-up on the trem. The more pullup you want, the higher the action you'll need to some degree. Subtle buzzing is normal, as long as note clarity does not suffer. Good luck... glen
Old 10-21-2001, 11:43 PM

Well i'm a hard picker I must admit. I'm into the whole shred thing. I also strike the notes like SRV did. Really giving the notes a good *whack* when doing those mean diminished blues improv licks.

But... when I set the action to the 2mm area and test pick the Low E very lightly it still buzzes. It's gotten to the point where it is coming through the amp and really affecting my tone.

As for pulling up on the trem, i've never experienced any choking or anything of the sort. I guess I raise it by a 4th at times (when doing the Satch-esque cross hand squeals).

Right now it's just light picking buzzing an unacceptable amount. Well thanks for the info Glen.

Still gotta hear more measurements from others.
Old 10-21-2001, 11:45 PM

Oh BTW Glen, about the truss rod; it's loosened all the way and frets 2-9 are the biggest buzzers.

That's a real pickle eh?
Thanks for the input.
Old 10-21-2001, 11:55 PM

As someone who works on guitars, day in and day out, all I can say is this:

Take it to a Tech!

Guitars are, in simplified terms, just wood and metal. Wood is not as exact as metal, and most of your problems probably stem from either neck angle, truss rod relief, or high frets.. It's very hard to tell without seeing the guitar in person.

Kremlin's list above looks well thought out, and informative.. Don't take it back to where you got it if the tech there is bad. No matter if it's the Ibanez dealer or not.

I can say that the RG570 I just got, which I set-up the other night, has a height of 1/16 of an inch off the 12th fret on the low E.. I don't have a mm ruler handy to check that measurement, and I can't remember the formula to change inches to metric..

The key here is I pick very light. My coworker picks medium-heavy, and all my guitars buzz like hell for him. Sometimes you might have to make compromises, like I can't pull up on the trem of my guitars very far without fretting out from the low action.

So, I'll say it again, take it to a tech. No two peices of wood are exactly the same, so what might work for one guitar, might not work for another..

My $.02..
Old 10-22-2001, 12:03 AM
(a)
Vendor

The 9th fret buzz is where the board is flattening out after the bow, I'd straighten the neck more. In fact I'd straighten it till straight and check it for level frets, which is probably where a tech would start right after setup adjustments if the buzz persisted. *If 2 is buzzing the nut is either still too low, 2 is a high fret, or your neck has a backbow from 2 to 0. Has anybody sighted the neck adjusted *straight* to check it?

And better yet, take it to that tech and have him sort it out!
Old 10-22-2001, 12:09 AM

Rich - you gave me an idea. I just wanna do everything I can before I have the $ to get a tech to do this for me.

Straightening the neck ... that's so crazy it's logical. I never felt comfortable with the truss fully loosened.

Toshiro - Very true. I'll have to expect some highness because I really attack those strings.

Thanks Rich and Toshiro.

Tags
acoustic guitar, bridge angle, fret buzz, fret level, fret leveling, high frets, ibanez dealer, neck angle, production model, truss rod

Show/Hide Posting Rules