<back   Jemsite > Toolbox: Setup, Repairs and Mods > Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods

Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

Old 01-11-2013, 07:37 AM

Re: Guitar refinishing

+1 for "Hotnuts"

I put a sticker over my logo and cleared over it.
I think going for a custom look is way better than the stock "shwoosh".

Last edited by draven.bmx; 01-11-2013 at 07:42 AM.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:46 PM

Quote:
+1 for "Hotnuts"

I put a sticker over my logo and cleared over it.
I think going for a custom look is way better than the stock "shwoosh".

I have some more logos coming, still dont know what I am going to do.
Funny how I have part of me wanting to do something 'Ibanez' looking....because....its an Ibanez guitar AND I can.
The other side of the coin is that I have lived my life doing things outside the box so why not!

BTW:

The Hotnuts has significant meaning to me. (*and is the H in JH)

For anyone that doesnt know what 'blocking' is (*I have mentioned it a few times) this is an example.

This is also a blocking failure.....

Typically I would not block a sealing coat; there just isnt enough build but the coat went on pretty thick so decided to do a light blocking. Ideally you would not see any textured or shiny areas. You can clearly see the recess cut out area (for the arm) is almost untouched. This is because the angle allows the polymer to run off and become thin. If this area was blocked it would of burned through into the carbon fiber....or color coat.

In the lower left you can see a 'blurry yellow' object. This object is a propane torch. Note on the upper horn it looks 'whitish', this is in fact bubbles in the polymer and the flame makes the finish instantly turn clear. This is the degas process.....just dont get it hot, cause it will burn and likely catch on fire. A heat gun would work good for this too.

Pics after degas. I believe I should have a successful blocking after this coat.....maybe it will take another.

~JH
Old 01-11-2013, 08:45 PM

Reviews: 120

Awesome!
Old 01-11-2013, 09:43 PM

Reviews: 37

looks awesome. what is the clear epoxy called you put over the cf.
also if you dont cf the pick guard you mad a big mistake cause that white is ugly and a cf pickguard will be awesome.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:11 AM

I use the 'ultra glo' from Tap Plastics but it is the same exact product as envirotex lite.

http://www.tapplastics.com/product/f...mer_coating/31

http://eti-usa.com/envirotex-lite/

BTW:
This polymer would be IDEAL for people wanting to do a fabric wrap top....or metal leaf or sand or gold plated diamonds or coins or.....

Because of the build and self leveling it could do some really cool things that no one has ever thought of with any light textured surface.

Also....

I am not crazy about the white pick guard. I dont know if I would do CF as I think it needs contrast. I have something crazy in mind.

~JH
Old 01-12-2013, 12:43 AM

Reviews: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewsfury View Post
looks awesome. what is the clear epoxy called you put over the cf.
also if you dont cf the pick guard you mad a big mistake cause that white is ugly and a cf pickguard will be awesome.
I think it might look off with a CF pickguard. A mirrored pickguard might be the way to go.
Old 01-12-2013, 01:29 AM

Nah, matching carbon fibre pickguard would be the bomb! DOO ITT!!!!
Old 01-12-2013, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
Nah, matching carbon fibre pickguard would be the bomb! DOO ITT!!!!
+1 THIS.
Old 01-12-2013, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldrecordholder View Post
I use the 'ultra glo' from Tap Plastics but it is the same exact product as envirotex lite.

http://www.tapplastics.com/product/f...mer_coating/31

http://eti-usa.com/envirotex-lite/

BTW:
This polymer would be IDEAL for people wanting to do a fabric wrap top....or metal leaf or sand or gold plated diamonds or coins or.....

Because of the build and self leveling it could do some really cool things that no one has ever thought of with any light textured surface.

Also....

I am not crazy about the white pick guard. I dont know if I would do CF as I think it needs contrast. I have something crazy in mind.

~JH
Yeah i needed it for a fabric finish.i also got another idea in mind.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldrecordholder View Post
Clear pickguard with the CF on the body. It would look kinda futuristic. Totally awesome with the CF and all the wiring and such under the pickguard.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:56 AM

Actually that's a cool idea as well. As long as the wiring looks really neat it'd look awesome.

Carbon fibre on carbon fibre would still be off the hook though.

Would you make CF pickguards for others?
Old 01-13-2013, 03:34 PM
(a)

I'm curious: why did you opt for the CF cloth and not vinyl? Was it for aesthetic or practical reasons (or both)? I'm curious about the pros/cons... again for my own project.
Old 01-13-2013, 04:20 PM

The OP stated that he didn't like the look of the fake CF vinyl stuff. The real deal looks so much better. I agree. If I had the skills to work with it I'd make a carbon fibre covered guitar too.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:35 PM
(a)

This is turning out cool... looking forward to the "how to clear coat" part...
Old 01-13-2013, 06:41 PM

Quote:
The OP stated that he didn't like the look of the fake CF vinyl stuff. The real deal looks so much better. I agree. If I had the skills to work with it I'd make a carbon fibre covered guitar too.
Real CF:

Pros-
Electrically conductive = 100% shielded
Changes reflections when moved = has almost a holographic effect in the light. There is no 'accidentally mistaking' real and fake CF.
Dramatically increases structural rigidity...like around cracking neck pockets
Increase the value of your guitar
Deflects bullets
Women will chase you like an Axe commercial.

Cons-
Requires time and love to put on and more expensive

Vinyl:

Pros-

Is cheap (ok, saves you money)
Easy to put on

Cons-

Looks cheap
Gets damaged easily (dings or windex)
People will think you are hiding something nasty (damage) under it = lower value of guitar
Causes you to get your ass kicked in clubs and by your friends
Ladies will hate you
(*not confirmed but I hear) Your 'man parts' will shrivel up and fall off.

IMO (Ok, heres where I am going to sound like a dick). Fake CF is a way for big muffler honda guys to put on the hoods of their car to try and emulate the look without spending the money to buy (or make) a real CF part. To me it is the pure essence of being a poser in every way and I have sworn a blood oath to destroy anyone who uses this product. If it means personally carrying their vehicles or guitars up Mt Doom to cast them into the lake of fire, thats what I am going to do.

That being said a buddy wrapped his entire Isuzu Trooper with it and it looked pretty cool.

There are tons of cool things you can do stylistically with your guitar. Please....for the love of all things holy dont put fake vinyl on anything.

Quote:
Would you make CF pickguards for others?
Lets just say that I have a bunch of irons in the fire....and....I even feel guilty about doing this guitar! Days are getting longer....meaning we have crossed over and the clock is ticking till the big show in August. <crazy inside info no one will understand. LOL~

But I will help the poop out of anyone who wants to do one themselves!!!!

~JH

Tags
do or do not, there is no try.

Show/Hide Posting Rules