<back   Jemsite > Toolbox: Setup, Repairs and Mods > Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods

Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:33 PM
(a)

Re: Guitar refinishing

Looking good, that's going to be a sweet and unique looking axe man
Old 02-06-2013, 07:43 PM

From this.....

To this....

(Just having fun)

It was painful to take a pretty decent looking finish job and block sand it to this!!!! Seems like such a step backwards, but this step makes the difference between an OK paint job and something really nice. Blocking insures that it will be a glass like finish when its done. There are just a few little pecks I need to dress with a scotch bright.

Then:

-re-route the covered cavities and remove any glue that dripped inside
-remove dust with sticky cloth
-degrease with acetone
-hang and shoot clear
-finish sand
-buff

sell for a billion dollars with the time I have in this....I would still be loosing money!!!!

~JH
Old 02-08-2013, 07:27 PM

Just a few seconds after shooting the clear. Not that I am proud of it but I shot it outside with my air line running through the garage window and then carefully took it inside and hung it on the garage door track.

It looks in the pic like the clear is a little orange peeled. It should lay down after it start setting up. I am going to sand with 600 and buff so it wont matter anyway....

When its done and assembled I will use my big camera to take some finish shots. I have used my GS3 phone to take all the pics and it is IMPOSSIBLE to get a decent shot. NO pic I have posted is how the guitar really looks in person. The CF plays tricks with light and is difficult to get an accurate shot.

~JH
Old 02-08-2013, 08:01 PM

I'm so jealous. That is beautiful. I'm sure it will be a pleasure to play.
Old 02-09-2013, 01:53 AM

love this thread !
unbelievable work...you are extremely talented...
Old 02-09-2013, 10:11 AM
(a)

Nice work man... the edges where the two pieces meet even look great. Looking forward to the next update
Old 02-09-2013, 04:37 PM
(a)

Good work skills going on here what did you clear this with ?
Nothing wrong with spraying out-doors , I do it all the time in summer , its my only option.
Old 02-09-2013, 08:00 PM

Thanks for all the nice comments guys!!!!

Quote:
what did you clear this with ?
I used SW Planet Color urethane clear same as:
http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/334/PCCCQK1/10002/-1

except I buy it in gallon and not quart. BTW: a quart would do a poopload of guitars!!!

I have used a bunch of paints....PPG, Dupont, SW and Sikkens. The SW Planet Color paints are bundled and IMO are great for the hobbyist. (*plus they have a ton of wild colors/finishes)
-The fact is that I dont paint enough to remember what each paint 'likes', the Planet Color stuff is laid out so I dont have to spend a bunch of time experimenting till I get it shooting right.

I have a place to paint....but being lazy and in a hurry...ya know.
I avoided pissing off the wife for the most part but bringing in the body to cure still stunk up the bathroom (hung on shower rod) like a paint shop!!!!

-Still needs about 24 more hours before it comes off the hanger...

~JH
Old 02-11-2013, 10:57 PM

I took this last pic with mixing cut to show the reflections. I still find it near impossible to get any pictures that look the way it does in person.

I was able to do some final assembly today!!!! This means that I am almost done; so far it was about 3 weeks longer then I expected it to be to get here. In truth the carbon fiber was a 'fix' for the neck pocket cracks. By nature of carbon it should provide a significant increase in structural integrity vs just trying to 'glue the crack shut'.

Just need to solder the jack and string it up. Should be ready to play in a day or two.
I never considered it but the carbon fiber may change the guitars tone. I am interested to see if I can see any difference after its playing. Even though carbon fiber is light the guitar feels a little heavier.

~JH
Old 02-12-2013, 01:25 AM

Reviews: 120

That is so awesome, man I'd love a carbon fibre covered guitar. It's brilliant
Old 02-12-2013, 11:47 AM

Im in awe every time I look at it. that is so fine.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:38 PM
(a)

Sweet JH...puts those fake carbon wraps to shame bro
Old 03-25-2013, 06:35 PM

I also try and help people on the Peavey Guitar forum. As I worked for the Peavey guitar R&D/final assembly division through the 90s I have some insight on Peavey guitars that most dont know. That being said a guy asked about refinishing guitars and I mentioned that CF was easy and fun. (*well....in truth it is a little time consuming but its NOT hard and IS fun)
Heres a dude that is 100% sure he knows WTF he is talking about and that I didnt do it. A prime example how sometimes its just better to listen then to speak.

http://forums.peavey.com/viewtopic.p...ca25ec50a3649d

Quote:
WOW! Thats amazing!

That said, thats not a DIY job, thats definitely vacuum bagging, pro mold having material.... The difference between that and a DIY job is astronomical and you know it.

I got to admit I laughed about this all weekend. I replied with a simple 'Was DIY and was not bagged'. I was hoping this chowder monkey would call me on it and say it wasnt in fact DIY!

I have a sneaking suspicion that he was able to do a little 'research' and found it was DIY and that he made one of the biggest tool comments of all time. I still have my fingers crossed that he will reply.

The funniest part is that my race team crew got a laugh out of this and now finishes everything they say with 'AND YOU KNOW IT!!!!' <a bunch of damn comedians....OK, I think its funny too!

~JH
Old 03-25-2013, 06:47 PM

Reviews: 120

Gotta love the Internet and all the haters out there.

Now please please please can I have that guitar???
Old 08-30-2013, 10:28 PM

hope mine turns out that nice.

Tags
do or do not, there is no try.

Show/Hide Posting Rules