<back   Jemsite > Toolbox: Setup, Repairs and Mods > Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods

Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

Old 08-11-2007, 08:19 PM

Reviews: 14

How Check To See If A Guitar Has A Broken Truss Rod?

Hello. I'm curious to know if their are any straight forward, simple ways to tell if your truss rod is broken (I said from 'a guitar you acquired' in the title because I'm not talking about snapping it when you're making an adjustment). Does the rod move loosely in the neck or anything like that?

I recently bought a Jackson USA SLS and I'm setting it up but I've turned the truss rod quiet a lot (a lot for a truss rod that is - it hasn't been turned all the way around or anything) and it's not really doing a whole lot to straighten the neck. The rod is nice and tight (feels like other truss rods I've adjusted), it feels fine while turning it, I KNOW I didn't do anything to it so that's not the issue. Oh, and I've certainly never forced anything.

I'm only asking so I can be aware of how much turning may be required - the neck was pretty bowed forward, so maybe the rod simply needs more turning than usual. It is less bowed now than before so that should indicate a working truss rod.

How far can a truss rod go (around) before you know somethings up? Thanks!
Old 08-12-2007, 12:21 AM

Reviews: 2

Re: How Check To See If A Guitar Has A Broken Truss Rod?

usually the truss rod if broken will almost "free wheel" as you turn ....meaning it doesn't feel like it's tight cuz it isn't you may have wood compression; wood at the end of the rod where you adjust the nut is compressed makeing alot of your effort useless. unscrew the truss rod nut and add a washer from a drums tension rod (works 90% of the time)

If that doesn't work take it to your local shop
Old 08-12-2007, 05:40 PM

It sounds like yours is fine. My guess is that it didn't have much (if any) tension to start with (which is why it was bowed so much), and you are starting to take that up. You said it was starting to take out the bow, and you haven't really turned it that far yet. Keep going and see how it goes -- just take it slow and easy. If you get to the point of making multiple turns with no effect -- particularly if it turns freely -- then you can worry about a broken rod.
Old 08-12-2007, 06:56 PM

Reviews: 14

Okay, now I know the truss rod is fine. After turning the rod only a little each day it has finally gotten to the point where there is some genuine resistance and the neck is straightening a lot better than before.

In other words the rod just must have been loose as a mofo when I got it.

Tags
truss rod, truss rod nut, truss rods

Show/Hide Posting Rules