<back   Jemsite > Toolbox: Setup, Repairs and Mods > Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods

Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

View Poll Results: did this help?
yes 8 40.00%
no 12 60.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-28-2010, 01:34 PM

Re: HOW DO I SWIRL PAINT A GUITAR BODY

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyboy mills View Post
This ones gonna have a maple board with pyramid inlays, pink pickups (covers) and green vol/ tone and switch tip with a clear scratch plate. I will post pictures as soon as she is complete. Thanks guys. ooohh yeah I think I might have to tidy up my workshop a little bit. lmao
Did you use anything for water? I used dishwasher's water softener witch helped pretty good.
Old 10-28-2010, 01:41 PM

Reviews: 2

I did put borax in the water, as I will still be doing the odd 'Humbrol' enamel swirl.
Old 10-28-2010, 03:07 PM

Quote:
I did put borax in the water, as I will still be doing the odd 'Humbrol' enamel swirl.
Borax is ok, Humbrol swirls take too much effort. Thnx for sharing tho. If your water is "hard", softener could be the only savior. Important thing is to wait couple hours before dipping...

After looking et your latest swirl i will use borax too, it's just so good.
Old 11-24-2010, 06:12 PM

i experimented with spray paint the other day on a small scale and it was working great but when i put in a guitar sized swirl tank(40 gallon garbage can) it skinned over in a matter of seconds , anyone know how to stop it from skinning
Old 11-30-2010, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by empire0895 View Post
i experimented with spray paint the other day on a small scale and it was working great but when i put in a guitar sized swirl tank(40 gallon garbage can) it skinned over in a matter of seconds , anyone know how to stop it from skinning
I can solve this problem for you......... dont use crappy rattle can paint. lmao
Old 04-26-2011, 08:48 PM

Not sure what the paint/primer on the body would have to do with the swirl paint skinning over. I'm having the same problem with Magic Marble and I haven't dipped anything in it yet. It skins immediately. I'm not using any Borax and my water temp is in the 70's F.
Old 02-03-2012, 03:23 PM

Old thread I know! Sorry, what I need to know is say if I want to try with Testors enamel, does it need to be thinned? If so, how much? And does it require Borax? I`m just curious to try a swirl for fun.

Thanks!
Chops.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:21 PM

From my experience Testors enamel is already too thin. Every test we did looked OK but we never quite got the pop we were looking for with it.

Here is a picture of one of our test pieces.

And here is a picture of one of our pieces after switching to a different type of paint.
Old 05-21-2012, 02:18 PM

Reviews: 1

could someone please tell me what lacquer could i use on my swirled ibanez,i live in britain and ive used humbrol enamols in the little tins using the borax method its come out sweet but i dont want to spray any old crap on to it thats gona react with it,i no i need to do a few misty coats and then add thicker coats later, i was suggested one but it was in the u s,would plasticote or simerler do it,any help would be greatly apprieciated,cheers.
Old 11-12-2012, 03:02 AM

Hey guys, this might be somewhere in this thread, however, I saw it on youtube and thought it was interesting. It's swirling with fingernail polish and it actually doesn't look half bad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtjQi...ure=watch-vrec

And this is similar to some of Alan's designs.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RusA...eature=related

Last edited by Gojira; 11-12-2012 at 03:08 AM.
Old 11-17-2012, 12:20 PM

Twits

Last edited by Angel LaHash; 11-18-2012 at 02:02 PM.
Old 11-18-2012, 01:28 PM

Big Tub, big enough to submerge a guitar body with plenty of room to move the guitar left and right, so you can get a bit of movement.
A decent stick to swirl your paint when its on the water surface.
Magic marble, you can get this off the web 'great art' website UK based company.
you dont need borax in the water when using this marble paint.

I would practise using a bucket of water and some pieces of wood. prime the wood and then spray paint it white.

There is NO SECRET to doing this, all you need is a good eye and a decent amount of grey matter between your ears.

I would also watch some videos of other peoples efforts on youtube.

Good luck
Old 11-18-2012, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Big Tub, big enough to submerge a guitar body with plenty of room to move the guitar left and right, so you can get a bit of movement.
A decent stick to swirl your paint when its on the water surface.
Magic marble, you can get this off the web 'great art' website UK based company.
you dont need borax in the water when using this marble paint.

I would practise using a bucket of water and some pieces of wood. prime the wood and then spray paint it white.

There is NO SECRET to doing this, all you need is a good eye and a decent amount of grey matter between your ears.

I would also watch some videos of other peoples efforts on youtube.

Good luck
well the borax one changing it so the paint of some makes can stay on top of the water and not dry off quick.. so you need a right compound of water (i dont know who you dealers is but i wouldnt want to get the wrong amout with some other white powder ..glad you aint a chemist)
then you got the temp of the water.. this will make an effect on the borax and the warmer i believe it mixes with the water better .. dont want it too hot or the paint will dry off ... WELL thank god your an EXPERT ..
then there is knowing what happens to the paint when you add it .. too little or too much paint or borax and it can look like a Face lift gone wrong.
then there is the slow paddle .. making sure you get all the paint over bother sides..

Jonnie boy.. comments are a waste of TIME
to play fetch with a dog.. im not here for drag queen bitchyness
if you want that sort of thing .. nip down to brighton
Old 11-18-2012, 02:03 PM

Reviews: 120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel LaHash View Post
well the borax one changing it so the paint of some makes can stay on top of the water and not dry off quick.. so you need a right compound of water (i dont know who you dealers is but i wouldnt want to get the wrong amout with some other white powder ..glad you aint a chemist)
then you got the temp of the water.. this will make an effect on the borax and the warmer i believe it mixes with the water better .. dont want it too hot or the paint will dry off ... WELL thank god your an EXPERT ..
then there is knowing what happens to the paint when you add it .. too little or too much paint or borax and it can look like a Face lift gone wrong.
then there is the slow paddle .. making sure you get all the paint over bother sides..

Jonnie boy.. comments are a waste of TIME
to play fetch with a dog.. im not here for drag queen bitchyness
if you want that sort of thing .. nip down to brighton
WTF??? What are you on about??? Plenty of helpful comments on here. It's a forum, not an instruction manual, so get over the other stuff. Your cryptic comments and general insults aren't really needed. It's not the right way to introduce yourself to a community.
Old 11-18-2012, 02:18 PM

WTF you on about
CRYPTIC .. were is it CRYPTIC
and what bit is INSULTING to you i would like to know
as for the COMMUNITY half of it is DEAD.. i was only intrested in people who started this chat not the other comments
a Forum a place of debate

Tags
how to, jem, paint, swirl, swirling

Show/Hide Posting Rules