How to set trem arm to STAY WHERE I WANT? - Page 2 - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 03:47 PM

Re: How to set trem arm to STAY WHERE I WANT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
What are you risking, $5 in bushings most people would just replace anyway?
Your fingertips, if you don't have the common sense to use a pair of tweezers or pliers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 03:57 PM

Quote:
What are you risking, $5 in bushings most people would just replace anyway?
I will somehow end up setting the guitar on fire, even though it will be across the room at the time.
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 04:00 PM

You didn't distort them enough. Trust me, they will be tight, even if your holder is worn. The only way it would be loose with new bushings is if the holder is worn, or greased.
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post
Your fingertips, if you don't have the common sense to use a pair of tweezers or pliers!

That would mean you were dumb enough to remove them from the bar [or you liked holding the bar where it's in the flame?]
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Or you can just do what the pros do. Hold the bushings over a flame until they distort. Repeat as necessary until they need to be replaced.
This is exactly what I've been doing for years.

No idea where or when I learned this, but most likely learned it from your website.

Another option: buy the ultralight (carbon fiber) bar. I have one, and that thing is so feather-light that it'll stay wherever you want it. I love mine.
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 12:33 PM

Quote:
That would mean you were dumb enough to remove them from the bar [or you liked holding the bar where it's in the flame?]
No clue. I just use the Floyd push-in arms.
post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 06:18 AM

I've found the tolerances in the bars themselves are not that precise. Some bars have a tighter fit than others.
I also use the heated bushing method. First of all - TAKE THE BUSHES OFF THE BAR! Heating the bar itself will weaken it. Heat the bushes over a gas flame for 5-10 seconds, cool them down, see how they fit and repeat if necessary. If you can see the shape of the bushes distorting then you've probably overheated them and the arm will no longer fit. Make sure you've got a bag of spares before you start!
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawbonelid View Post
I've found the tolerances in the bars themselves are not that precise. Some bars have a tighter fit than others.
I also use the heated bushing method. First of all - TAKE THE BUSHES OFF THE BAR! Heating the bar itself will weaken it. Heat the bushes over a gas flame for 5-10 seconds, cool them down, see how they fit and repeat if necessary. If you can see the shape of the bushes distorting then you've probably overheated them and the arm will no longer fit. Make sure you've got a bag of spares before you start!
I didn't ever remove them from bar, just heat, wait a bit, and stick bar again in tremolo. Works like charm.
peromucho7 is online  
post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 10:38 AM

Exactly, never take the bushings off the bar to distort them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode