How to set trem arm to STAY WHERE I WANT? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 10:14 PM Thread Starter

How to set trem arm to STAY WHERE I WANT?

I've searhed and cant seem to find anything that really is working for me. I put in new "bushings" (those plastic pieces)

I did have SOME luck taking some thing plastic from a sandwich plastic bag but it only sort of works part time.

I'd love to be able to move it at any position and it STAY.

Can one of you experts point me in the right direction?

Thanks for any help! I really appreciate it. In the meantime, i'll keep searching.

BTW, this is one the Ibanez 7V WHT. Steves standard model. Boufght it new a couple of years ago and love it! Its just the arm loosely moves about and it drive me nuts. haha

Last edited by mrchims; 01-12-2017 at 10:16 PM. Reason: forgot to mention
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 08:25 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Re: How to set trem arm to STAY WHERE I WANT?

What is needed is more pressure between the two white plastic bushings and the arm holder. i found using (clear or any color) nail polish will do the trick to increase the diameter of the arm bushing area thus expanding the bushings which will keep the arm in place. Make sure the arm holder is tight however as the tight bar can cause it to loosen.

remove the two white bushings then apply a thin coat of nail polish around the cutouts on the bar where the bushing go. Not too thick or*when you*put the plastic bushings on it will be too thick and won't insert into the arm holder. Wont last forever but is*not permanent either.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 11:44 AM

I take saran wrap, the clear cling wrap, it's a little thinner than a sandwich bag and I tear off a piece and I put it over the hole and then I stick bar in so it kind of surrounds the trem bar, I turn the bar a few times to get it to kind of wrap around and that for me makes it so I can turn it anywhere and it stays put.
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 12:55 PM

I'm sure I've heard of some folk using plumbers tape, otherwise known as teflon tape or PTFE tape. It's very cheap and handy to have around the house too!
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 01:24 PM

IMO, that's the biggest weakness of the edge design. Awesome with fresh bushings, but as they wear the arm gets very loose.

It's not a very clean replacement, but you CAN get an OFR "push-in" style arm on an Edge, which uses a softer rubber collar and an allen key to apply pressure.

http://www.floydrose.com/catalog/upg...h-in-style-arm
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 01:27 PM

Or you can just do what the pros do. Hold the bushings over a flame until they distort. Repeat as necessary until they need to be replaced.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Or you can just do what the pros do. Hold the bushings over a flame until they distort. Repeat as necessary until they need to be replaced.
:rofl: Really? I'd never heard that one.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 01:45 PM

It's been keeping Steves bar where he wants it for years, and if it's good enough for touring pros it should be good enough for everybody.

Unless you like the "my bar is so tight I can barely move it", then I highly recommend OCD's method except I use D'Addario string packs [cellophane works great but makes too much crinkly noise].
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 01:57 PM

I like the clear wrap because it bunches up as you spin the bar around and that's what holds it in place. The excess that sticks out I just rip off. I haven't tried the string bags because honestly since I have been using saran wrap I haven't had a need for anything else. Every now and then the wrap wears and I just reapply. I use those computer keyboard cleaners to blow out any excess wrap so it doesn't build up in there.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 01:59 PM

That's the only thing I miss about my JS100 is that that had a screw on bar so you could always just tighten it to the point where it would stay in place but could move. If I had my own signature line, it would be with the screw on kind of bar that can be tightened or loosened to one's preference.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
They don't get melted on there to the point where you can't get them off?
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 02:12 PM

uhh, no
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 02:16 PM

Sounds risky to me. I'm sticking with Saran wrap. Am I dating myself by saying Saran wrap? Do they still have Saran wrap? I need a Crystal Pepsi. Nah just kidding that tastes awful.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 02:46 PM

What are you risking, $5 in bushings most people would just replace anyway?
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the help you all! I like the nail polish idea... I tried the burning method but it didnt really expand the bushings enough. And I have several new sets of these bushings and even putting new ones on doesnt really work. The bar(s) (I have 2 regualr ones and an ultra lite one) still move freely.

Thanks again. And i'll try the saran wrap as well!

Love this site! Always so helpful!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode