<back   Jemsite > Toolbox: Setup, Repairs and Mods > Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods

Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

Old 07-01-2011, 11:04 PM

How to get a Candy apple red finish?

I want to restore a 540r to its original candy apple red (with a very glossy tinted finish) and the guitar is now silver, the next stage is where im stuck, ive never mixed paint before and I keep reading different opinions on how to apply the red, can I just use a can of plain red paint over the silver to get the desired effect and just use more red to get it darker, or do I need to use the clear coat with a little red technique? and how do I get the tinted finish?
Old 07-02-2011, 06:06 AM

Re: How to get a Candy apple red finish?

First off I dont paint guitars but I have painted cars on a car especially with a candy color the final color is much effected by what you paint it over we used to spray candy apple red over a gold base coat for that really nice dark red. But with wood and newer paints i dont know if that is still relevant. Lots of builders and modders here Im sure someone will chime in with a better answer. good luck
Old 07-02-2011, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corpraider69 View Post
First off I dont paint guitars but I have painted cars on a car especially with a candy color the final color is much effected by what you paint it over we used to spray candy apple red over a gold base coat for that really nice dark red. But with wood and newer paints i dont know if that is still relevant. Lots of builders and modders here Im sure someone will chime in with a better answer. good luck
Thanks, im after a very dark red almost black candy apple so any advice appreciated. Im unsure If I should use transparent cherry red spray coated with tinted black laqeure or spray some black over the silver and then the red.

Like the colour below but much darker.

shiney_car.jpg
Old 07-02-2011, 10:06 AM
(a)

Quote:
Originally Posted by corpraider69 View Post
I was going to say, I believe candy apple reds are typically shot over a gold base.

If you wanted to try this on the cheap, you could use Krylon metallic gold paint and then shoot the anodized red over the top:

http://www.krylon.com/products/xmetals/
Old 07-03-2011, 09:15 PM
Banned

Reviews: 11

Since the base is silver, you can spray a candy coat over it.

You can NOT use plain red paint. It wont work like you want, you need translucent paint. Are you using a spray can or an actual spray rig to do this?

Spray paint, get some "X-metal" paint in red, you can paint it really thin and it will darken to your liking. Heck, Id almost do a light coat of purple as the initial layer to get your maroon color you want.

Silver is a great base for candy. White, Silver, Gold, bright yellow, etc are great bases. I've seen bright greens used for blue candy's. Comes out great.

edit: Do NOT spray black on it!!! You're just asking for trouble. Just keep adding layers until you get the darkness you want.\

edit 2 : this is house of kolors "Kandy Apple Red" Over their "Flake Silver" base.

Old 07-03-2011, 09:30 PM

Thanks yea im using just spray cans. So adding more layers wont just make it go from candy apple to plain red? what if the red isnt dark enough for the tone im after?

Maybe gold is a better base for a very dark red?
Old 07-04-2011, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxpenguin View Post
Since the base is silver, you can spray a candy coat over it.

You can NOT use plain red paint. It wont work like you want, you need translucent paint. Are you using a spray can or an actual spray rig to do this?

Spray paint, get some "X-metal" paint in red, you can paint it really thin and it will darken to your liking. Heck, Id almost do a light coat of purple as the initial layer to get your maroon color you want.

Silver is a great base for candy. White, Silver, Gold, bright yellow, etc are great bases. I've seen bright greens used for blue candy's. Comes out great.

: Do NOT spray black on it!!! You're just asking for trouble. Just keep adding layers until you get the darkness you want.\

edit 2 : this is house of kolors "Kandy Apple Red" Over their "Flake Silver" base.

That is absolutely gorgeous paintwork thx Linux
Old 07-04-2011, 04:40 AM

I will be doing a candy job on my next project using exactly what 'Ride' and 'linux' suggested,its good stuff.
Old 07-04-2011, 08:34 AM

http://www.manchesterguitartech.co.u...uer-faqs/#car:

The “recipe” is:
White primer
Inca Silver (or gold) metallic
Clear Red
Clear Gloss,

There it is nice and simple for you
Old 07-04-2011, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryann View Post
http://www.manchesterguitartech.co.u...uer-faqs/#car:

The “recipe” is:
White primer
Inca Silver (or gold) metallic
Clear Red
Clear Gloss,

There it is nice and simple for you
Thanks useful link but what about getting a very dark (almost black) candy apple red? It says use a gold base for dark red but im talking more black than red.

Last edited by fuzzdemon; 07-04-2011 at 08:54 AM.
Old 07-04-2011, 08:59 AM

You'd probably just want to spray the red on until you get it to your preferred darkness
Old 07-04-2011, 09:27 AM

Thanks I will do the gold metallic over the silver then the red, I will skip the purple layer to save on cost and hope the gold does the trick.
Im probably wrong but I would have thought a layer of clear black over the silver then the red on top would give the desired effect.
Old 07-04-2011, 09:45 AM

You don't need silver AND gold, just use gold for the darker finish you want
Old 07-04-2011, 10:06 AM
(a)

Silver and red base coats will give totally different effects in a candy finish.
Old 07-04-2011, 09:08 PM
Banned

Reviews: 11

The whole point of candy is to see through to the base layer. Gold = darker, Silver = lighter. More coats = darker. One light coat over gold wont be as dark as 4 or 5 coats over silver, it just depends on what you have and what you want. You already have a finished silver, Id just stick with that.

Clear black will tint the base coat, you dont want it to tint, you want the color to tint. Hard to explain, and it sounds weird, but its not going to give the same effect.

Tags
paint candy apple red

Show/Hide Posting Rules