Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Ibanez Jem 7VWH setup issues

7K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Meolas 
#1 ·
Hey,
I've recently bought an Ibanez Jem 7VWH. Since I'm a new entry in the electric guitar world, I would like to refer to some problems I've encountered so far.

Problem A:
When I play for ie 1-2 hours continuously I notice that the high (treble) E or/and the B and/or the G string are getting slightly detuned when i use pretty much the tremolo arm. I'm not sure if this is logical due to the double locking system. So, I had my guitar set up. The technician told me that the factor that caused this detuning problem is the high elasticity of the three tremolo springs. He suggested me to replace them with more stiffer onces. So I did. The detuning problem has been minimized to lower levels, though it still exists!!

Do you think that the tremolo angle causes the detuning problem? The technician corrected it but i'm not sure if it's 100% ok. Do you have any reference photos of the correct position of the tremolo angle?

Issue B
Which is the best string action in order to get the maximum playbility and sustain? ( are there any reference measurements?)

Which is the best pickup height in order to get the highest outpout as well as the best sustain?

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Problem A: What model year is your VWH?? The proper trem angle depends on which Edge trem you have. Also, what gauge strings are you using?? If they are 009's then you shouldn't have had to mess with the springs unless they are way old.

Give us some pics and we'll get ya fixed up;)

Lastly, NO guitar stays in constant perfect pitch forever and ever!! Steel stretches and the high E, B and G are usually the first to go;)

IF you bought it new, leave the pups at factory level. If you bought it new, I'd recomend leaving the pups at factory setting. One of the biggest mistakes people make is raising the pups up to right under the strings;) They don't need to be that close

#4 ·
It's a 2008 model, the temolo is the low pro edge tremolo, and i'm using 009-0042. The problem is that i can't leave the setup at factory settings since I've already had my guitar setup by a "technician".... That's why i'am asking for some reference measurements..

#5 ·
It's a 2008 model, the temolo is the low pro edge tremolo, and i'm using 009-0042. The problem is that i can't leave the setup at factory settings since I've already had my guitar setup by a "technician".... That's why i'am asking for some reference measurements..
Edit/Delete Message

I'll post some pics ASAP

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.