Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Ibanez LO TRS trem on RG 470 (Japan)

7K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Erol 
#1 ·
Hello,

I have 2 questions

I've bought an OFR and I want to replace it in my RG470. The dimensions are okay. I want to use the studs for the OFR, and not the studs for the TRS.

I want to know if the thread/bushings (I don't know if I'm using the correct term) are glued in or if they're just "hammered" in and if I will have to enlarge them for the OFR studs

and how would I go about doing this?? (can I pull it out like a hammer pulls out a nail?)

I had to pick a nut that came with the OFR knowing it was the incorrect size. Where can I get a good quality locking nut that will fit my Wizard II neck?
Nut width: 43mm
Radius: 400

thanks for your help!

See less See more
#2 ·
The bushings are just hammered in. BUT you'll risk pulling a chunk of the guitar's finish off, since finishing the guitar is usually done after installing the bushings in the factory. (I learned the hard way, lol)
So make sure to cut them free of paint with a sharp knife or something like that. After that you should be able to pull them out like a nail.

Don't know about the dimensions of the new bushings, but I think someone else should be able to shed some light on this.

#4 · (Edited)
thanks for the help guys

I chipped away as much paint as I could... i think i even enlarged the "entrance" lol
oh well

i'll give it a try once I get a hammer

about the nut: the original is gone. I used to over tighten the bolts and I stripped the threadding and I had to replace the nut. Un fortunately back then (this was like 1999, 2000) i didn't know about all these different dimensions and such... so I've been using an incorrect nut that was just toothin but it worked. Now I want to use the OFR nut. Even though the radius isn't the same its worked for the other guitar. But the OFR nut isn't flush with the neck, it's shifted towards the high e. I suppose I could re install the old one but I guess I wanted as many OFR parts as possible.

I want to sell the OFR nut (probably will have little luck) to fund the purchase of a correct nut size.

thanks!

QUestion: this may be trivial, but how far do I hammer in the new studs? as low as they'll go? Screw in the posts to the bottom, hammer it in (with rubber hammer) as low as it goes?

EDIT: Removed the old studs, just have to enlarge the hole to 10mm Diameter

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.