<back   Jemsite > Toolbox: Setup, Repairs and Mods > Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods

Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

Old 02-05-2004, 08:03 PM

in need of a quick fix y'all

hello, i need some advice, something along the lines of a relatively simple and painless proceedure i can do on my guitar to stop me from throwing it out the window, it buzzes terribly on the lower strings, won't stay in tune and is horribly intonated any advice would be welcome
thanx
Old 02-05-2004, 09:26 PM

Pay for a setup lol.
Old 02-06-2004, 04:29 PM

too ashamed, i'd hate to take it into any where, cause of the body and the "i hate this guitar" which is scrawled on the back of the body, also i have a volume knob blocking the lo-pro, not very pro i know, but i just can't be arsed with spending money on the thing, or getting it set up because i know it will just be as turd in terms of feel and everything, plus the frets are crap. its an rg550 by the way. i wonder if there is anyway i can fill in the trem route and install a hardtail , because i don't really use the trem anymore at all. and that might help with the tuning and intonating.
Old 02-06-2004, 06:14 PM

Quote:
i wonder if there is anyway i can fill in the trem route and install a hardtail , because i don't really use the trem anymore at all. and that might help with the tuning and intonating.
Hi, I think this would help..

http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/tht1.htm

That site is great!..

cheers
Old 02-07-2004, 12:15 AM

Sometimes a pro setup will work wonders man... I understand you think it's a turd, and will remain a turd after the setup (a polished turd?). But sometimes it's the little things that make it okay...

On the other hand, if you don't wanna put any money into it, it obviously isn't that big a deal to you. Being ashamed to take it in and have it set up is kinda something I don't get. Not everyone knows how to do it, so they have it done by someone...no big deal...
Old 02-07-2004, 12:50 AM

Not trying to be mean or anything, but:

Sell the guitar and buy something with features you do like, instead of destroying an RG.

So far, just from reading all the posts about it: You don't like the neck, you don't like the bridge, you don't like the frets. As far as I can tell, you just don't like RGs at all. Though, you'll have a he|| of a time getting rid of it with 'I hate this guitar' scratched into the back(makes me shudder to even think about it)..
:P
I mean, I'm not gonna go out and buy a strat or a les paul and expect it to play like my RGs. You wouldn't leave your house wearing pants 3 sizes too large, or 2 sizes too small.. If you're uncomfortable playing a guitar, you'd be much better off selling it and buying something you would be comfortable playing.

You've got the bridge blocked with a volume knob? Can it move? Is it plastic? This is probably half the problem right there.. Are you still locking the nut? Locking nuts aren't very good used as a regular nut, they weren't designed to let the string glide over them, and it will bind on the surface.

If you're worried about being ashamed of what you've done to the guitar, don't be. Techs see a lot of thrashed stuff in their life-times.

Take it in, or do it yourself, but block that bridge off properly with wood. Both ways if you don't use it at all. Use the lock nut and fine-tuners. Adjust the neck based on the tech info on Projectguitar or here on Jemsite, raise the action slightly if you still get buzzing.. Set your intonation with the best tuner you can get, or have it done on a strobe tuner. Talk to the tech if you take it in, explain what problems you're having, and give him an idea how hard you pick(this is very important for action adjustments, believe me)...

That's all the advice I can give, and by that I mean you're using a guitar out-side what it's designed for.. IMO, I wouldn't look into filling the trem cavity on a guitar you don't like in the first place.[/i]
Old 02-13-2004, 06:48 PM

voiiiiiid
Old 02-13-2004, 06:49 PM

thanx for all your advice! im ok with the guitar sometimes, i guess ive just grown out of it. I had to laugh though:
"Sell the guitar and buy something with features you do like, instead of destroying an RG."

you should see it, the only way that guitar is going to be sold is if i become famous and they want to put that thing on display, its become a work of art, burnt then repainted with my girlfriends nailvarnish and so on, i dont mind it, but ideally ill get somehing that really plays well for me anyway.
Old 02-13-2004, 07:08 PM

hello again, sorry to bring this thread back up, but i just have one more question, i think ill fill the trem in and put a non trem bridge on (thanx for the link)! what type of bridge will suit me best, will anything like the fender spaced bridges do? thanx

Tags
les paul, lock nut, locking nut, locking nuts, lower strings, strobe tuner

Show/Hide Posting Rules