JS 1200 restring and intonation - 2 questions - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-10-2008, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Barrie, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 130
JS 1200 restring and intonation - 2 questions

1. When you restring, do you put the string heads at the headstock or in the holders at the
bridge, and which one offers better tuning stability?

2. My Edge pro bridge is blocked with a Tremol-No. I'm not going to stretch the strings as
much as I would if the bridge were floating, but I still stretch them. Should I wait until
after they are stretched before I adjust the intonation, or should I do it prior? I'm going
from 10's back to 9's if it makes a difference
Valhalla is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-11-2008, 06:55 AM
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Italia
Posts: 4,725
Re: JS 1200 restring and intonation - 2 questions

they say it's good to stretch before intonate. i think Rich does so, he may explain why it's better. i started doing so as i noticed stretched strings provide a more stable and even signal for the tuner to read the pitch.

as for the stringing method, i'm from the "string-ball at the peg" school. it surely provide better stability as you can't pull further when the ball rocks against the peg. it's almost a locking tuner. also, colored D'Addario string-balls look nice
nuno is offline  
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-11-2008, 11:17 AM
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Mountain Home Village, CA
Posts: 82
Re: JS 1200 restring and intonation - 2 questions

1. Either position is fine, it will not effect stability in a double locking trem. Meaning if you lock the guitar at the nut and at the bridge, then it does not matter. I string my guitar with the ball ends at the neck because it takes fewer winds to get them up to tension and it doesnt leave any sharp string ends.

2. You should always stretch new strings, period! This will keep them from going out of tune, which would hinder you from playing/intonating.
eruji is offline  
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-11-2008, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Barrie, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 130
Re: JS 1200 restring and intonation - 2 questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by eruji View Post
2. You should always stretch new strings, period! This will keep them from going out of tune, which would hinder you from playing/intonating.
The question I asked was: "Should I wait until after they are stretched before I adjust the intonation, or should I do it prior?"
Valhalla is offline  
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-11-2008, 12:44 PM
 
Rich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 23,639
Re: JS 1200 restring and intonation - 2 questions

Stretching thins the gauge. a .013 may end up a .01275 after full stretching. Intonation point depends on gauge and pitch. Of course you stretch first.
Rich is offline  
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-11-2008, 12:47 PM
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Mountain Home Village, CA
Posts: 82
Re: JS 1200 restring and intonation - 2 questions

I thought my answer addressed that question..

let me clarify.. The first thing you should do when you put new strings on is stretch them out. So yes, you SHOULD stretch them before you intonate.

Why? isnt it obvious? Checking intonation is checking the tuning at multiple spots on your neck. How can you reliably check the tuning if the guitar is going out of tune. Stretching the strings out will help to speed up the process of a new string stretching and moving out of tune on its own.

Also if you are moving from 10 to 9's you will most likely have to adjust your trem angle which involves tightening or loosening your trem claw. In your case loosening the claw tension to make up for the thinner gauged strings.
eruji is offline  
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-11-2008, 12:54 PM
 
Rich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 23,639
Re: JS 1200 restring and intonation - 2 questions

Ball ends at the tuners makes for a positive lock when stretching and eliminates the sharp ends, which was the original reason I started doing it. The side benefit is it reduces the windings needed so it reduces unwanted string twist, especially on the unwound strings. The best feature is, it looks cool.
Rich is offline  
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-11-2008, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Barrie, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 130
Re: JS 1200 restring and intonation - 2 questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Ball ends at the tuners makes for a positive lock when stretching and eliminates the sharp ends, which was the original reason I started doing it. The side benefit is it reduces the windings needed so it reduces unwanted string twist, especially on the unwound strings. The best feature is, it looks cool.
Yeah, I have got laid a bunch since doing it that way too. haha. How do you deal with the the string when trying to bend it around the post? The A and low E strings are quite thick and tough near the ball end.
Valhalla is offline  
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-11-2008, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Barrie, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 130
Re: JS 1200 restring and intonation - 2 questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by eruji View Post
I thought my answer addressed that question..

let me clarify.. The first thing you should do when you put new strings on is stretch them out. So yes, you SHOULD stretch them before you intonate.

Why? isnt it obvious? Checking intonation is checking the tuning at multiple spots on your neck. How can you reliably check the tuning if the guitar is going out of tune. Stretching the strings out will help to speed up the process of a new string stretching and moving out of tune on its own.

Also if you are moving from 10 to 9's you will most likely have to adjust your trem angle which involves tightening or loosening your trem claw. In your case loosening the claw tension to make up for the thinner gauged strings.
Well, since the bridge is blocked securely and permanently with a Tremol-no, as I previously stated, then the tuning is going to be much more stable even without stretching, as the bridge is not floating. Thus, the answer is not so obvious. Also, there is no need to adjust the trem angle, as again, the bridge is not floating.
Valhalla is offline  
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-11-2008, 02:14 PM
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Moncton NB, Canada
Posts: 206
Re: JS 1200 restring and intonation - 2 questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhalla View Post
Well, since the bridge is blocked securely and permanently with a Tremol-no, as I previously stated, then the tuning is going to be much more stable even without stretching, as the bridge is not floating. Thus, the answer is not so obvious. Also, there is no need to adjust the trem angle, as again, the bridge is not floating.
Stretching strings is not just for floating bridge guitars, you don't need to stretch more on floating guitars, You stretch strings for every guitar that has strings, even if it has a tremol-no.
70Seven is offline  
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-11-2008, 02:30 PM
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 2,513
Re: JS 1200 restring and intonation - 2 questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhalla View Post
Yeah, I have got laid a bunch since doing it that way too. haha. How do you deal with the the string when trying to bend it around the post? The A and low E strings are quite thick and tough near the ball end.

The E and A strings wrap around the post fine for me. Never had a problem with the twisted end. Just wind as normal. It is not as hard to wind them as you may think. And they do look cooler in my opinion. Particularly compared with guitars with a ton of string sticking out.
moebius is offline  
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-11-2008, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Barrie, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 130
Re: JS 1200 restring and intonation - 2 questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Seven View Post
Stretching strings is not just for floating bridge guitars, you don't need to stretch more on floating guitars, You stretch strings for every guitar that has strings, even if it has a tremol-no.
This concept I understand. I know I have to stretch the strings regardless of whether the bridge is blocked or not. This is not in question. I have owned both hardtail and floating bridge guitars, and the fact is, you do need to stretch the strings more with a floating bridge to maintain tuning stability. The simple act of playing the strings on a floating bridge guitar raises the bridge up and down, and thus you have to stretch the strings more than you would a hardtail. I'm not trying to be crass, but I am speaking from experience...
Valhalla is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Couple of questions for Rich - JS 1200 Valhalla Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods 1 07-25-2008 01:25 AM
7620 as 6-string baritone? or restring my RG570? jerrye777 Other 7+ string Guitars 15 07-21-2008 01:25 PM
How long do you guys take to restring? klp2332 Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods 51 06-26-2007 07:33 AM
restring floyd rose question SandmaN211 Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods 3 08-24-2006 03:04 AM
action rising everytime i restring... Swirly Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods 5 09-15-2003 02:32 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome