Jem77 DY Maple restore - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-27-2008, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
HDS

Jem77 DY Maple restore

As some of you may have seen my restore of my own Jem DY maple neck, BigShred sent me a pm to ask if I would give it a go on his. I said sure. What I got in the mail from him was one of the worst nasty necks I have seen (Im sure there have been worse but I havent seen it).

Here's some shots of his neck before the restore started.

Gak!

After a few hours with her you can see the change, now this is without any mega sanding to remove the grime. I did light sanding to only remove the discolored tung oil so it will have a uniform look.

After a few hours of letting her set and dry we start to see even more improvement.

She looking good but still not where I want her to be, still some light shadowing to remove.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-27-2008, 11:10 PM

Re: Jem77 DY Maple restore

Wade, your PM inbox is gonna get so hammered now LOL. Next year you'll be driving a Porsche haha.

This guy is seriously amazing. Thanks, dude.
post #3 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-27-2008, 11:13 PM Thread Starter
HDS

LOL I dont know about a Porsche, maybe a Lam

Na, I dont plan on getting rich from this, the wife already gives me the evil eye for spending more time on guitar repair then her.
post #4 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 12:00 AM

Reviews: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDS View Post
LOL I dont know about a Porsche, maybe a Lam

Na, I dont plan on getting rich from this, the wife already gives me the evil eye for spending more time on guitar repair then her.
Well i mean i'm a guitar freak as much as the next guy, but sex comes waaay before guitars and a little bit after drugs too. Joking. Well serious about the joke, but joking about the dope.

Anyways, you do some good work. I myself restore fretboards too, only i've never really done any maples that bad. I did a 79 anniversary Fender one, and it had some light surface crud. So i removed most of it by using a razor blade and scratching lightly across the surface in a horizontal motion to make sure i didn't cut in. That also levels it quite well without removing that much wood. Then some light sanding with 800 grit and finish it off with some 0000 wool all over, on frets too to give them that lightly brushed surface.

Anyways can't wait to see the end, it should look great. Also, why is there pink paint under the nut clamp ? Was did an old SK ?
post #5 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fender868 View Post
Anyways can't wait to see the end, it should look great. Also, why is there pink paint under the nut clamp ? Was did an old SK ?
I think Ibanez had originally painted it for one then repainted it with desert yellow. I was surprised when I saw it too.
post #6 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 01:39 AM

Awesome job!
post #7 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 09:21 AM Thread Starter
HDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fender868 View Post
Well i mean i'm a guitar freak as much as the next guy, but sex comes waaay before guitars and a little bit after drugs too. Joking.
Na not before sex Just the sitting on the sofa watching tv part =)
post #8 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-01-2008, 09:41 PM

Are you going to be refinishing the fretboard? If not it's just going to get grimey again real fast.
post #9 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-02-2008, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyGuitar View Post
Are you going to be refinishing the fretboard? If not it's just going to get grimey again real fast.
He's finishing it off with tung oil.
post #10 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-02-2008, 06:34 PM

It's a nice job if you're looking for that brand new clean effect. I would personaly be gutted if somebody did that to my DY. It's taken ages to get that mojo look on my neck and I want to keep mine that way.

Last edited by Eggy; 02-09-2008 at 08:08 PM.
post #11 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-02-2008, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggy View Post
It's a nice job if you're looking for that brand new clean effect. I would personaly be gutted if somebody did that to my DY. It's taken ages to get that mojo look on my neck and I want to keep mine that way.
+1.341
post #12 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-02-2008, 08:51 PM

That neck looks much better after a good cleaning. Just a personal preference, but the clean look is the way to go.
Old 02-02-2008, 09:16 PM
BigShred
This message has been deleted by jemsite. Reason: inappropriate post
Old 02-02-2008, 09:19 PM
CosmicDebris
This message has been deleted by jemsite. Reason: inappropriate post
post #13 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-03-2008, 06:46 PM

Looking good !! What did you use to clean up the neck ??
post #14 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-04-2008, 10:09 AM Thread Starter
HDS

Now you know I cant tell ya that

As for "Mojo", you can put holes in your guitar and it will make you play faster.
I for one dont fall for the mojo talk, just another way for people to over charge for a nasty dirty guitar.

Last edited by HDS; 02-04-2008 at 10:33 AM.
post #15 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-04-2008, 05:13 PM

Tung oil really isn't much of a sealer. Use Minwax Wipe On Poly to give the fretboard a sealed, lacquered look again. Works realy well when applied carefully and correctly.

Tags
maple neck , playing guitar , tung oil

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode