<back   Jemsite > Toolbox: Setup, Repairs and Mods > Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods

Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 08-08-2011, 12:46 AM
KingV911  is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Eau Claire, WI
Posts: 41  -  iTrader: (0)
Reviews: 1

Re: JS1000 pickup issue - coil split?


Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxpenguin View Post
edit: the tremolo is set up properly. the knife edges are supposed to be parallel to the body, which they are.

edit 2: figured it out. Have to direct link them.

things I can see wrong

1) he used a ceramic capacitor. why? I dont know. It "should" work fine if he used the right size, but its not how it its "supposed" to be, should be a polyester one.
2) looking at that capacitor, it should say "331" on it, check that for me.
3) can you get a better picture of the tone knob? Sorry! Thats where your problem will be, but none of the pictures are good enough to see anything "wrong". I need a front shot of it please.
Actual TONE knob...

quote
  #17  
Old 08-08-2011, 12:58 AM
KingV911  is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Eau Claire, WI
Posts: 41  -  iTrader: (0)
Reviews: 1

Re: JS1000 pickup issue - coil split?


Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxpenguin View Post
edit: the tremolo is set up properly. the knife edges are supposed to be parallel to the body, which they are.

edit 2: figured it out. Have to direct link them.

things I can see wrong

1) he used a ceramic capacitor. why? I dont know. It "should" work fine if he used the right size, but its not how it its "supposed" to be, should be a polyester one.
2) looking at that capacitor, it should say "331" on it, check that for me.
3) can you get a better picture of the tone knob? Sorry! Thats where your problem will be, but none of the pictures are good enough to see anything "wrong". I need a front shot of it please.
here are some more pics from in and around the tone pot...





quote
  #18  
Old 08-08-2011, 02:06 AM
linuxpenguin  is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: baton rouge
Posts: 3,922  -  iTrader: (5)
Reviews: 11

Re: JS1000 pickup issue - coil split?


Quote:
Originally Posted by KingV911 View Post
Actual TONE knob...


hardy hardy har I should have been more specific

the brown-round thing thats attached to your volume pot, thats a capacitor, but its the "Wrong" type. There should be a 3 digit code on there similar to the 223k on the one on your tone pot. But again, as long as its the right size, that really shouldnt be much of anything.

Ill go over the other pictures tomorrow and see if I can see anything overtly incorrect. so far the only things that annoy me are where its very obvious something was soldered at places, and now its not. (i.e. the two pins on the bottom of the tone pot coil tap switch should NOT have had anything soldered to it, and it looks like something was soldered to the bottom of the switch as well, and now its removed)

edit: everything considered, it just really seems like a ground issue.

edit 2: Do me a favor. Get a some tape and some wire. Take the wire, expose the ends and connect the bottom of the tone and volume pots. Im not seeing a ground wire connecting the two.

Last edited by linuxpenguin; 08-08-2011 at 02:17 AM.
quote
  #19  
Old 08-08-2011, 02:22 AM
jbouxa  is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: burlington wi.
Posts: 321  -  iTrader: (0)
Reviews: 11

Re: JS1000 pickup issue - coil split?


Quote:
Originally Posted by KingV911 View Post
Jimmy, I brought it to a local guitar shop. Unfortunately I live in somewhat rural WI and do not have a trusted tech that I know to go to.

Do you know where I can get the wiring diagram?

Thanks.
bring it down to me sometime, we could probably figure it out, only about a 2 1/2 hour drive lol
quote
  #20  
Old 08-08-2011, 02:22 AM
linuxpenguin  is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: baton rouge
Posts: 3,922  -  iTrader: (5)
Reviews: 11

Re: JS1000 pickup issue - coil split?


heres an image of what Im talkin about.




the blue circle is the weird cap, but that wiring is FAR too clean for it to not be factory. I've just never seen a ceramic capacitor from the factory is all, Im no expert in that matter though, just looked odd to me.
quote
  #21  
Old 08-08-2011, 12:55 PM
KingV911  is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Eau Claire, WI
Posts: 41  -  iTrader: (0)
Reviews: 1

Re: JS1000 pickup issue - coil split?


Quote:
Originally Posted by jbouxa View Post
bring it down to me sometime, we could probably figure it out, only about a 2 1/2 hour drive lol
HA! I actually go to school in La Crosse which is a 1 1/2 hour drive everyday so that isn't much of a stretch. La Crosse is home to Dave's Guitar Shop, which is a great place, and if I don't get this issue figured out by the time Fall semester starts I'll probably just bring my guitar down there and have them deal with it.
quote
  #22  
Old 08-08-2011, 12:56 PM
KingV911  is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Eau Claire, WI
Posts: 41  -  iTrader: (0)
Reviews: 1

Re: JS1000 pickup issue - coil split?


Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxpenguin View Post
hardy hardy har I should have been more specific

the brown-round thing thats attached to your volume pot, thats a capacitor, but its the "Wrong" type. There should be a 3 digit code on there similar to the 223k on the one on your tone pot. But again, as long as its the right size, that really shouldnt be much of anything.

Ill go over the other pictures tomorrow and see if I can see anything overtly incorrect. so far the only things that annoy me are where its very obvious something was soldered at places, and now its not. (i.e. the two pins on the bottom of the tone pot coil tap switch should NOT have had anything soldered to it, and it looks like something was soldered to the bottom of the switch as well, and now its removed)

edit: everything considered, it just really seems like a ground issue.

edit 2: Do me a favor. Get a some tape and some wire. Take the wire, expose the ends and connect the bottom of the tone and volume pots. Im not seeing a ground wire connecting the two.

I just want to know what I should say when I bring it back to where I got it fixed. Since I don't really know this stuff it is hard for me to tell the tech he did it wrong without insulting him.
quote
  #23  
Old 08-08-2011, 02:29 PM
linuxpenguin  is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: baton rouge
Posts: 3,922  -  iTrader: (5)
Reviews: 11

Re: JS1000 pickup issue - coil split?


Quote:
Originally Posted by KingV911 View Post
I just want to know what I should say when I bring it back to where I got it fixed. Since I don't really know this stuff it is hard for me to tell the tech he did it wrong without insulting him.
Did you try runnin that wire across? Not gonna hurt my feelings if it didnt work Bottom line, it should be his OWN pride in his work that should get it fixed; as you're not really insulting him by telling him you paid for a service that didnt happen. Who knows, the switch may have been damaged or something? That said is your JS a 2010/2011 model? (the edge trem)
quote
  #24  
Old 08-08-2011, 02:40 PM
KingV911  is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Eau Claire, WI
Posts: 41  -  iTrader: (0)
Reviews: 1

Re: JS1000 pickup issue - coil split?


Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxpenguin View Post
Did you try runnin that wire across? Not gonna hurt my feelings if it didnt work Bottom line, it should be his OWN pride in his work that should get it fixed; as you're not really insulting him by telling him you paid for a service that didnt happen. Who knows, the switch may have been damaged or something? That said is your JS a 2010/2011 model? (the edge trem)
I don't have any wire around to try that. Based on the serial number it is a 2010 model.

In regards to the guitar tech, he doesn't even live around here. I bring the guitar to a shop and then he comes by once a week and brings the guitars to his main guitar shop over an hour away to do repairs, so I don't even get to talk to him face to face - which would obviously be helpful in demonstrating my problems. Everything is done through a middleman who really isn't a tech of any kind.
quote
  #25  
Old 08-08-2011, 06:11 PM
linuxpenguin  is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: baton rouge
Posts: 3,922  -  iTrader: (5)
Reviews: 11
Question

Re: JS1000 pickup issue - coil split?


Quote:
Originally Posted by KingV911 View Post
I don't have any wire around to try that. Based on the serial number it is a 2010 model.

In regards to the guitar tech, he doesn't even live around here. I bring the guitar to a shop and then he comes by once a week and brings the guitars to his main guitar shop over an hour away to do repairs, so I don't even get to talk to him face to face - which would obviously be helpful in demonstrating my problems. Everything is done through a middleman who really isn't a tech of any kind.



You can use any wire really. Use a peice of tin foil even.

I hear ya on the middle man, but your guitar is too young to be having these problems lol.
quote
  #26  
Old 08-08-2011, 06:36 PM
KingV911  is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Eau Claire, WI
Posts: 41  -  iTrader: (0)
Reviews: 1

Re: JS1000 pickup issue - coil split?


Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxpenguin View Post
You can use any wire really. Use a peice of tin foil even.

I hear ya on the middle man, but your guitar is too young to be having these problems lol.

I tried it with tinfoil and it didn't change anything, unfortunately. I suppose I'll be bringing it back tomorrow. I don't know if I should ask them to do work on it again or ask for a refund and take it elsewhere.
quote
  #27  
Old 08-08-2011, 10:23 PM
linuxpenguin  is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: baton rouge
Posts: 3,922  -  iTrader: (5)
Reviews: 11

Re: JS1000 pickup issue - coil split?


Quote:
Originally Posted by KingV911 View Post
I tried it with tinfoil and it didn't change anything, unfortunately. I suppose I'll be bringing it back tomorrow. I don't know if I should ask them to do work on it again or ask for a refund and take it elsewhere.
ok. Id ask them when the tech will be coming in, and you should really speak with him directly. Take the guitar in and show them how its not working after you paid to have it "fixed". They should be accomodating. If not, you need to get your money back.

People make mistakes, but its what they do to fix them that shows what kind of business they are.
quote
  #28  
Old 08-09-2011, 10:32 AM
(a)
jb4674  is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Fairfax, VA - USA
Posts: 4,580  -  iTrader: (0)
Reviews: 18

Re: JS1000 pickup issue - coil split?


You can look at the diagram here:

http://www.ibanez.com/support/wiringdiagrams

do a search for the year 2000 JS1000 (looked under 2008 and there were only Art guitars listed).

I hope this helps.

Jimmy
quote
  #29  
Old 08-09-2011, 01:53 PM
KingV911  is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Eau Claire, WI
Posts: 41  -  iTrader: (0)
Reviews: 1

Re: JS1000 pickup issue - coil split?


Quote:
Originally Posted by jb4674 View Post
You can look at the diagram here:

http://www.ibanez.com/support/wiringdiagrams

do a search for the year 2000 JS1000 (looked under 2008 and there were only Art guitars listed).

I hope this helps.

Jimmy
Thanks a lot. I printed off a copy to bring in to the tech.
quote
  #30  
Old 08-09-2011, 01:54 PM
KingV911  is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Eau Claire, WI
Posts: 41  -  iTrader: (0)
Reviews: 1

Re: JS1000 pickup issue - coil split?


Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxpenguin View Post
ok. Id ask them when the tech will be coming in, and you should really speak with him directly. Take the guitar in and show them how its not working after you paid to have it "fixed". They should be accomodating. If not, you need to get your money back.

People make mistakes, but its what they do to fix them that shows what kind of business they are.
Is it true that the TONE knob should still function as a treble regulator even when in single coil mode? Mine isn't. Only works when in humbucker mode.
quote
Reply

Tags
pickups, push/pull, wiring

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Show/Hide Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Show/Hide Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Coil split with HSH??? rub_800 Pickups & wiring 12 03-31-2011 01:30 AM
Coil split with 5 way instead of parallel? got?tone Pickups & wiring 3 01-28-2011 05:29 AM
Coil Split a K-7 Vaibanez Pickups & wiring 1 04-08-2009 10:56 AM
Evo 2...coil split Rayniac Pickups & wiring 0 11-28-2006 10:43 AM
JPM with Coil Split? phienix Pickups & wiring 0 09-03-2004 01:58 PM

Sitemap:1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
(c) jemsite.com
Powered by