<back   Jemsite > Toolbox: Setup, Repairs and Mods > Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods

Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

Old 08-06-2011, 09:34 PM

Reviews: 1

JS1000 pickup issue - coil split?

Hey, I recently bought a used, year-2010 model JS1000. During shipment the push/pull of the tone pot (which controls the coil split) broke so I immediately brought it to a shop to get fixed and get to get a complete setup. I just got the guitar back yesterday and and it seems to work, but there is something about it that doesn't seem quite right.

When I have the tone knob down so it is in humbucker mode and on the bridge pickup it sounds muddy on the lower strings, almost as if the neck pickup were selected, but not quite. It makes playing power chords and even single notes sound almost like a strat on the neck position. Is the Dimarzio FRED really this bassy? When I pull on on the push/pull to put it in single coil mode it doesn't really sound single coily at all, it actually sounds like what I would think it should sound like in humbucker mode - it sounds much better on the lower strings for playing power chords, playing rock and metal, etc. I should also note that when I turn the tone knob all the way back it produces a lot of noise through the amp - also annoying.

Perhaps I should post a video to I can demonstrate what I'm hearing. I've never had a guitar with coil split before, or with these pickups, but something tells me it shouldn't sound quite so bass heavy when on the bridge position in humbucker mode. Is it possible the tech that fixed the broken pot made a mistake of some sort, or is replacing the pot a pretty straightforward deal that shouldn't have gone wrong?

Thanks!

Last edited by KingV911; 08-06-2011 at 09:38 PM. Reason: fix mistake
Old 08-07-2011, 05:15 AM

Re: JS1000 pickup issue - coil split?

No the FRED isn't bass heavy, I had a JS1000 for a while check my old YouTube videos my channel is guitarnoize to see how mine sounded. The FRED is one of my favourite humbuckers very rich and articulate with strong mids. It sounds like they screwed your wiring?

Here's one example of the humbucker tone

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOh4qVvMJUc&sns=em

I thought the coil split was great too very similar to a single coil
Old 08-07-2011, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarnoize View Post
No the FRED isn't bass heavy, I had a JS1000 for a while check my old YouTube videos my channel is guitarnoize to see how mine sounded. The FRED is one of my favourite humbuckers very rich and articulate with strong mids. It sounds like they screwed your wiring?

Here's one example of the humbucker tone

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOh4qVvMJUc&sns=em

I thought the coil split was great too very similar to a single coil
I watched your video (nice playing btw) and your guitar sounds like what mine does when the tone knob is pulled up into single coil mode. Must be a wiring thing, but I don't see how the tech wouldn't have noticed himself when he tested it out. I hate going back and questioning their work because they always take it as an insult!
Old 08-07-2011, 01:31 PM

Another thing: When in single coil mode (tone knob pulled up) the tone control itself doesn't make a difference - is that normal? What I mean is the tone knob has no effect on the treble like it normally would. It works in humbucker mode but not in single coil mode.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:29 PM
(a)

Reviews: 18

The tone should work when the coil tap is engaged. Where did you take your guitar to get it fixed? I'd bring them a wiring diagram of the JS1000 and tell the tech to wire it to factory specs.

Jimmy
Old 08-07-2011, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb4674 View Post
The tone should work when the coil tap is engaged. Where did you take your guitar to get it fixed? I'd bring them a wiring diagram of the JS1000 and tell the tech to wire it to factory specs.

Jimmy
Jimmy, I brought it to a local guitar shop. Unfortunately I live in somewhat rural WI and do not have a trusted tech that I know to go to.

Do you know where I can get the wiring diagram?

Thanks.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:40 PM
Banned

Reviews: 11

pictures.... please.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxpenguin View Post
pictures.... please.

From me? If so, what would you like.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingV911 View Post
From me? If so, what would you like.

just a couple good shots of the wiring. We may be able to see something wrong with the wiring.
Old 08-07-2011, 11:08 PM

Quote:
just a couple good shots of the wiring. We may be able to see something wrong with the wiring.
Hopefully these pics are good. Also, I paid for a complete setup with the guitar - I've never had an Edge trem before but the bridge doesn't look right at all, the shaft at the end that you loosen to unlock the strings is aimed downward into the body (see pic), that's not right is it?

Pictures here: http://s751.photobucket.com/albums/xx160/KingV911/Pots/

Last edited by KingV911; 08-07-2011 at 11:13 PM. Reason: fix mistake
Old 08-07-2011, 11:12 PM
Banned

gah! can you upload on imageshack.us or something else? photobucket never works for me Sorry!!!
Old 08-07-2011, 11:15 PM

Quote:
gah! can you upload on imageshack.us or something else? photobucket never works for me Sorry!!!
Can you please try again? I moved the pictures into a different album probably when you were looking and killed the links. If not, please say so and I will try the ones you recommended.
Old 08-07-2011, 11:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingV911 View Post
Can you please try again? I moved the pictures into a different album probably when you were looking and killed the links. If not, please say so and I will try the ones you recommended.
edit: the tremolo is set up properly. the knife edges are supposed to be parallel to the body, which they are.

edit 2: figured it out. Have to direct link them.

things I can see wrong

1) he used a ceramic capacitor. why? I dont know. It "should" work fine if he used the right size, but its not how it its "supposed" to be, should be a polyester one.
2) looking at that capacitor, it should say "331" on it, check that for me.
3) can you get a better picture of the tone knob? Sorry! Thats where your problem will be, but none of the pictures are good enough to see anything "wrong". I need a front shot of it please.

Last edited by linuxpenguin; 08-07-2011 at 11:30 PM.
Old 08-07-2011, 11:26 PM

Quote:
how bout this, just direct link the images here

edit: the tremolo is set up properly. the knife edges are supposed to be parallel to the body, which they are.

This good? Also, the knife edges do look pretty parallel but it seems wrong because to remove a string I'd have to push the trem down with the whamy bar just to loosen it as it is too deep in the body. I thought they were supposed to point out backwards to where they are accessible?

Old 08-07-2011, 11:42 PM

Quote:

edit 2: figured it out. Have to direct link them.

things I can see wrong

1) he used a ceramic capacitor. why? I dont know. It "should" work fine if he used the right size, but its not how it its "supposed" to be, should be a polyester one.
2) looking at that capacitor, it should say "331" on it, check that for me.
3) can you get a better picture of the tone knob? Sorry! Thats where your problem will be, but none of the pictures are good enough to see anything "wrong". I need a front shot of it please.
I don't know my way around the inside of a guitar unfortunately so I don't even know what the capacitor should look like, however there is a little hanging off the tone pot that says, "223K". Does that make any sense?

By front shot, do you mean the actual front of the guitar?

Tags
pickups, push/pull, wiring

Show/Hide Posting Rules