<back   Jemsite > Toolbox: Setup, Repairs and Mods > Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods

Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

Old 01-14-2012, 05:53 PM

MAJOR fret buzz!!!

Okay guys, i just got my ibanez rg350dxz, and it feels like it would feel amazing, BUT it has MAJOR fret buzz! I'm talking fret buzz on EVERY string on almost EVERY fret! The buzzing stops towards the 14th fret, but everything before that buzzes. I've adjusted the bridge and the height of the strings to what it says to on the ibanez website, but it is still buzzing like crazy. I think it is the neck, my hunch is that the neck has really dramatic back bow, but i've never had any experience with this stuff so im not sure, am i right? I was thinking of loosening the truss rod to see if that fixes it, but as i've never done anything like this I'm kinda nervous to do it.

The guitar is brand new. What do you guys think I should do? what would you do? shall I try it myself? Or shall I just take it to the guitar shop in my area and have him do it for 30.00?

PLEASE can someone help me???

Thanks for any help guys, really appreciate it.

Last edited by \Dom/; 01-14-2012 at 05:58 PM.
Old 01-14-2012, 06:17 PM
(a)
Vendor

Re: MAJOR fret buzz!!!

http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/truss.htm
Old 01-14-2012, 07:41 PM

May have been left sitting in the cold and wet while it was shipped ?

It shouldnt be that bad , my guess is it was bashed in transit ?

If it is brand new isnt this an issue for the supplier or shipping insurance ?
Old 01-15-2012, 12:32 AM

Could be simple as a high fret. It's an issue on my MH 1000. Mine's not that bad though.
Old 01-15-2012, 12:34 AM

Reviews: 2

you'll have to adjust the neck.
Unless, the locking nut is loose. It really can scare the hell out of you.
If it's something with the neck, i think you need to loosen the truss rod a bit.
Sorry if it isn't much help, but I can't help beyond this, mainly cuz I haven't ever done it myself. It must suck to have neck problems on a literally BRAND NEW guitar.
Old 01-15-2012, 05:05 AM

okay so I read the article thing that Rich posted, and it says something about the neck bowing up by the nut. I just got a straight edge and checked where my neck starts to bend, and it's straight up until the fourth fret, where it bends backwards quite a lot. Do you think the truss rod will fix this, or is my neck pretty much useless? I want a perfectly straight neck with low action, and right now i'm thinking that's not going to happen.
Old 01-15-2012, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by \Dom/ View Post
Do you think the truss rod will fix this,
Just try it and you'll find out! Without the guitar in our hands it's pretty much impossible to say.

So just try it! The truss rod is for usage, so use it.

Turn the truss rod 90 max at once! Watch the neck and string height. If it get's worse, turn the other way around!

Tune. Play. Repeat, if necessary, until the fret buzz is gone. Then check string height again. If too high --> adjust.

It's a step-by-step procedure. Be patient until you reach the perfect (for you!) balance between string height, neck bow and playability. DON'T DO IT IN BIG STEPS!! Just minor adjustments at a time!

If you don't dare to do it yourself, have a tech do it and invest the money. But this is just so easy to do, even for beginners. Go for it! Don't use extensive force to turn the trussrod. If it won't turn with 3 fingers & thumb, try it the other way around. If it won't turn at all, send the guitar back.
Old 01-15-2012, 06:21 AM

If a neck is bent its serious and long term, and will probably recurr even if its fixed.

some neck problems like sharp frets and buzz on one fret are worth fixing because they a re quick and easy and wont come back,

but if the neck really is bent or is bending badly in cold weather its a long term problem and not really worth fixing at current prices.

I still think it has been bashed in transit, the danger is you half fix it, someone says its OK, then in 6 months the neck bends or breaks when its knocked again and you cant do anything.

I may be wrong on this, its not really possible to give a sensible opinion without seeing it, but I would want to contact the supplier and say its damaged.
Old 01-15-2012, 06:25 AM

Reviews: 2

yeah, you should definitely go after the shipping guys, after all, it's YOU who has to suffer because THEY couldn't keep your guitar undamaged in transit.
I say this, under the assumption that it was damaged while being shipped, which would make it the shipping guy's fault.
Old 01-15-2012, 07:15 AM

right, I've tried adjusting the truss rod and the bridge etc. but nothing is working, even when the action is MEGA high, i still get fret buzz -.- so what I'm gonna do is take it to my local guitar shop guy, see if he can set it up right and hope to god that he can, but if not, them shipping guys are gonna have hell to pay!!!!!! but yeah, thanks to everyone who gave advice I actually learnt quite a lot from this, so thanks! I'll be back when I get my guitar back from the guy to let you know how it goes and what he did.
Old 01-15-2012, 07:28 AM

btw, there is a danger in taking it to the tech,

they might say he caused the damage so its not under warranty.

My first call would be to the supplier, if they are happy to accept a return and replacement that would be the best solution, and it shouldnt cost you anything.

The tech might be too enthusiastic to get an easy 50, set it up so its playable but long term you still have a suspect neck and you are down 50.
Old 01-15-2012, 07:33 AM

ahh, good point! Thanks! Man what would I do without this forum!? Thanks dude!
Old 01-15-2012, 07:38 AM
(a)
Vendor

Unless it was cracked or broken shippers have absolutely nothing to do with your issue. The cold does, cold puts necks into backbow. If you've loosened the truss until it's into normal relief and it's got consitent buzz through the neck then it is probably not the neck but most likely action too low for the way you pick.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:03 AM

Try loosening the truss rod all the way. Not so much to remove the nut but close. Then tighten it until you just barely feel resistance. Check the neck with a straight edge, tune it up, and then check with a straight edge again. Try a larger gauge set of strings to put more tension on the neck. The cheaper Ibanez guitars usually ship out with the nut set WAY high. This causes all kinds of set up issues because the strings will not be parallel with the fretboard.

Entry level guitars are always iffy about set up and can be a real monster to fix. Take it to a good tech and see what he says and be prepared to throw down some cash.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:09 AM

okay so it turns out that even if it was the shippers fault I wouldn't be able to return it because I've taken the plastic covering thing off the pickups!! seriously is it just me or is that ridiculous?! so the guitar is not returnable.

I don't know what to do to be honest. I know a few people who have this guitar, I asked them about there's and they said they too had set up problems, not nessecarily fret buzz but the same kinda stuff, but once they got it sorted it was brilliant. I think I'm gonna have to pay to get it set up by someone who knows what they're doing (i know the guy and he wouldn't rip me off, and he'll be honest about what he thinks) and if he can't sort it out I don't know what I'll do.

Just a quick question.. I set up the neck and bridge exactly how it says to on the ibanez website, but the buzz continued, could it be that the nut is too low?

Tags
buzz, fret, intonation, neck, rg350

Show/Hide Posting Rules