Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Maple Fret Board Cleaning

134K views 79 replies 51 participants last post by  3bolt79 
#1 · (Edited)
A lot of people ask me how I clean my maple necks and I am going to tell you.
First I don't mind a dirty neck at all but what I mind is someone else's dirt. So after buying a used JEM777DY with a dirty neck I looked around the house to see what I could find to clean it with.

I tried regular bleach, soap, alcohol, peroxide; window cleaner, mineral spirits etc. and most had no effect. I kept in mind that I didn't want to kill the wood or fret wire so I looked for something I had that would be a natural cleaner that removes grease, grease and oil is what's soaked in the wood fibers. I'm sure a few of you have worked in fast food, I did in my teen years and remember using a product called Simple Green. This stuff is what I clean my boards with.

Not only does it clean the board but I also can clean your fret wire and doesn't corrode them.

I use Simple Green with an Oral-B electric tooth brush and blue shop paper towels to wipe. Blue shop towels are also good for applying Tong Oil too as they don't leave lint.

Just to show you with a quick clean on this old RG550 neck.

This neck isn't as bad as some others I have done but the dirtier it is the more you have to repeat passes.

More to come...

See less See more
#67 ·
Hello
so i have a prestige model 3250MZ fluorescent orange with a maple neck and fretboard.
now i have read all about cleaning maple fretboard methods and i have used lighter fluid which cleaned the fretboard great , but i am looking to have a more slinkier and faster slide and glide , so can i use stuff like jim dunlop system 65 kit? or GHS fast fret?
note that the guitar is finished but i don't know exactly what type of finish they used.

#73 ·
Simple Green's active detergent ingredient is sodium triphosphate, which is commonly found (amongst many other uses) as an additive in toothpaste--it acts as a whitening agent by helping break down stains.

So basically you're using toothpaste and a toothbrush 8)

#75 ·
I have a 1989 Fender HM strat with a finished maple neck. The original owner didnt Keep his nails trimmed. And so some of the finish is off and there are divots in the fret board, also a lot of dirt. I read this entire thread, and I’m thinking lighter flui. If I ever refret it, I will have the board sanded back to the appropriate radius, and refinished. Or I will refret it myself after I’ve had more practice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.