<back   Jemsite > Toolbox: Setup, Repairs and Mods > Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods

Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

Old 06-28-2001, 12:08 AM

My Peavey Classic 30 died on me - oh and I have a gig in two

Going to make this quick and to the point...........

.......Practicing for an important gig last night when all of a sudden my amp starts crackling and buzzing for no reason. If you don't already know my Peavey Classic 30 is all tube, and thats exactly where I started looking after it happened. First I tried making sure none of them were coming loose, but that wasn't it. Then our Bass player told me one of my tubes were glowing brighter than the others so maybe it was my transformer(power regulator) don't know what it's called! Anyway now everytime I turn the amp on it makes this horrible noise like the amp is going to explode!! Anyone have an idea?? Thx!!!
Old 06-28-2001, 11:10 AM

My Peavey Classic 30 died on me

Scott, if you're getting ANY noise at all it's probably not your transformer (or so I've heard). I'd stop trying to power-up the amp and get it to a qualified tech. Have you ever replaced the tubes in it?
Old 06-29-2001, 01:52 AM

Yeah I've only changed one so far but that was months ago! the one I bought to replaced it had dirty connectors and no writing on it, but it came in a Sovtek box and said EL84! What about the part or my amp that regulates the power between all the tubes. You know make sure all the tubes have equal power?? Also sounds like there is a nut loose inside! Oh and one more thing. It's hard to find a qualified technician cause my Peavey is American made and not Japanese!
Old 06-29-2001, 09:48 AM
deleted username

Scott-
First off, pull the chassis and find that roaming nut. *That can short out things QUICKLY. *Get it the hellout of there and locate where it belongs (it didn't just 'beam' there from the Enterprise). *Check for "brown spots" on the board inside. *This will show you if the wandering nut caused any arc's or shorts during it's adventures inside.

Next, check ALL the tubes...preamp and power sections. *Make sure they all glow. *This is a quick check and not a true "testing" of the tubes, but....sometimes folks miss the simplest things (I know I have! "oh- the parking brake is on?"). *Your amp tech should have equipment for testing tubes. *If he doesn't, move on.

American or Japanese or Turkish or Austrailian, a good tube amp tech shouldn't have difficulty diagnosing the trouble. *See if you can find a good tech to help you out.

In the future, I'd reccommend getting your tubes elsewhere. *www.TubeStore.com ships internationally. *Nice folks there with a good selection of quality product.

In the meantime, if you can't repair the amp in time, consider renting one. *I know in the USA there are many audio eqiupment rental houses that will rent you an amp for a night. *Check at the local music store too. *It may cost a few bucks, but at least you have an amp for the gig.
Old 06-29-2001, 12:23 PM

Scott, take it to a tech and let him find the loose part and have him test everything out. I wouldn't suggest poking around inside a tube amp unless you know what you're doing. *DANGER, Will Robinson* *

* *Also, it's generally considered a bad idea to replace just one power tube. They are supposed to be replaced in matched sets and then the amp bias set. *Although your Peavey may not need biasing and it may not even be possible on that amp. Just get thee to a tech and find out.
Old 06-30-2001, 10:02 AM

Thanks Jeff I really appreciate the help!! Scott.
Old 07-01-2001, 12:17 PM

Sure man, although I really wasn't much help. LOL .... Keep me posted; I'm interested to hear what the story is with your amp. I hope it's not something too expensive!

Tags
local music store, music store, peavey classic, tube amp

Show/Hide Posting Rules