Neck making "popping" sound? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-18-2003, 07:40 PM Thread Starter

Neck making "popping" sound?

On my JPM100 P1, when I dive bomb with the trem the guitar makes a "popping" sound somewhere around the nut. It will make the same noise again when I pull up on the bar. Does anyone have any idea how to fix this?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-18-2003, 08:00 PM
Vendor

Sounds like a creaky neck pocket. Make sure the neck bolts are tight, if they are you might want to "insulate" the sides of the pocket with strips of paper. First thing to do though is isolate exactly where the pop is coming from. You could have an extra groove worn in a stud that's causing the pop, something I've seen before.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-19-2003, 03:50 AM

I believe I have the creaky neck pocket problem. The first time I dive when I pick up my guitar I hear the little "click" kind of sound. It doesn't do it again while I'm playing that session. When I pick up my guitar the next day, once again, it will make the sound the first time I use the bar. So is this neck pocket creaking anything to worry about, does it affect the playability or tuning stability? I can deal with the single creak if it has no real effect on the actual playability aspects. I've had tuning stability issues with the bridge on my UV777BK since I got in '98. I recently came upon the tutorials at Rich's site and have corrected my flat knife edges and epoxied in the loose anchors. The last thing I need to do is track down that creak and replace the V posts with new cut posts. My guitar now at least has two reliable zeros so I can count on keeping it in tune by always returning it to the same zero every time.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-19-2003, 03:01 PM

I've had the same problem with my JS1000. It popped only the first time when you began playing after a while. The cause was the too narrow space between the side of the neck at the body, and the body was too. This has also caused some little crack on the body.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-20-2003, 04:04 PM

I had the exact same problem with my Jackson. I was able to insulate the gaps in the neck joint with pieces of cut up picks. Pieces of paper work just as well. You just need to moe your neck around a little and figure out where the gaps are, then fill them up. You may have to remove the guitars neck, or you may just be able to slide the filler right into the gap.

Tags
neck bolts , neck joint

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode