Ibanez JEM Forum banner

New strat build project

15K views 117 replies 16 participants last post by  LonePhantom 
#1 · (Edited)
I've been thinking for some time that I need a Strat of some sort. Problem was that I wasn't entirely a fan of the specs of a lot of the neck on any Strats that I might have been able to afford. I decided in the end that I was just going to have to build one to my specs, and hope it's all good. This is the concept I came up with:

Plan is to have two different pickgaurds. One with the standard 3 single coil traditional strat setup, and one with just a humbucker and volume knob. That way I can just switch between them to suit what I feel like playing at the time.

Anyway I ordered a neck from the Warmoth showcase a couple of weeks back, and it arrived yesterday. Specs are as follows:

Stratocaster®,
25-1/2 in. scale
22 frets
Vintage Modern right handed
Standard thin neck shape
1 piece maple/ maple fretboard
10-16″ compound radius fretboard
SS6150 stainless steel frets,
1 11/16″ nut width
GraphTech Black TUSQ XL nut
Gotoh/Grover (13/32″, 11/32″) Tuner Ream
Abalone face dots inlay

I'm going to finish it myself, using a spray on polyurethane that I've used before with great success.

With regards to the body I decided I'm going to compromise and get a Squier Classic Vibe body off the 'bay. I'd love a Warmoth one, but the cost of it painted is just a bit too much for me, and it would be months before I'd finish this. By all accounts the Classic Vibes are nice guitars, and the body is alder, which is what I want. It should do the job nicely. Now I'm just trying to find a nice 6 hole bridge in black to go with everything.

More to come...

See less See more
#107 ·
Hantug Guitars (they did my bridge) have the two other production runs of my bridge available on e-Bay if anyone wants to try them out. One with brass saddles and baseplate with titanium block, one with titanium saddles and block, and brass baseplate. If anyone was interested in checking them out, and have import/MIM 2-1/16" screw spacing on their Strat then these will drop right in.

#109 ·
I'm sure they can make something for you. He had made some Hipshot Style ones earlier in the year out of titanium. Contact him through eBay and ask. He may have something already made up.

I read earlier today that the SuperVees aren't quite as nice as they could be, considering the cost of the units.

#116 ·
Picked up the bridge and my YJM loaded pickguard this morning. Bridge is installed now. Only issue is intonating the low E. I think I'll need to cut the saddle spring to adjust it enough as its too sharp right now when checking the intonation at the 12th and 19th frets.

Great bridge though. The brass saddles are in now, and the tone is nice and articulate. Sustain seems pretty good too. Tuning stability isn't too bad so far either. Just need to stretch the springs properly.

Pictures up soon.

#117 · (Edited)

Here's the bridge with the brass saddles in.

Great tone, much fuller than the cheap Wilkinson one, more clarity and just general better tone.

And here's a real rough and basic rhythm demo between the two bridges. I'll try and do the same sample with the Ti saddles in place later. You can hear that the Hantug brass saddles, baseplate and Ti sustain block is much warmer and tonally more complex. I can't wait to try the Ti saddles.
http://www.lonephantom.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/rhythmComparisonWilkinsonVsHantugBrassTi.mp3

#118 ·
Not much happening here, although there's been a bit with the guitar. Just installed the Ti saddles over the weekend. Once again another improvement in the tone. It took up where the brass saddles were, and added another level of clarity to the tone, not quite as warm, but still fantastic. I added another sample with the same simple chords and riff using the Ti saddles. You can here it here: http://www.lonephantom.com/wp-conte...risonWilkinsonVsHantugBrassTiVsHantugTiTi.mp3

I'll try and finish my write up with a part 5 on my blog. This is one awesome playing axe.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.