Ibanez JEM Forum banner

New strat build project

15K views 117 replies 16 participants last post by  LonePhantom 
#1 · (Edited)
I've been thinking for some time that I need a Strat of some sort. Problem was that I wasn't entirely a fan of the specs of a lot of the neck on any Strats that I might have been able to afford. I decided in the end that I was just going to have to build one to my specs, and hope it's all good. This is the concept I came up with:

Plan is to have two different pickgaurds. One with the standard 3 single coil traditional strat setup, and one with just a humbucker and volume knob. That way I can just switch between them to suit what I feel like playing at the time.

Anyway I ordered a neck from the Warmoth showcase a couple of weeks back, and it arrived yesterday. Specs are as follows:

Stratocaster®,
25-1/2 in. scale
22 frets
Vintage Modern right handed
Standard thin neck shape
1 piece maple/ maple fretboard
10-16″ compound radius fretboard
SS6150 stainless steel frets,
1 11/16″ nut width
GraphTech Black TUSQ XL nut
Gotoh/Grover (13/32″, 11/32″) Tuner Ream
Abalone face dots inlay

I'm going to finish it myself, using a spray on polyurethane that I've used before with great success.

With regards to the body I decided I'm going to compromise and get a Squier Classic Vibe body off the 'bay. I'd love a Warmoth one, but the cost of it painted is just a bit too much for me, and it would be months before I'd finish this. By all accounts the Classic Vibes are nice guitars, and the body is alder, which is what I want. It should do the job nicely. Now I'm just trying to find a nice 6 hole bridge in black to go with everything.

More to come...

See less See more
#3 ·
sounds like a nice build. I put together a warmoth/squier build (body/neck) once, and the squire neck didn't fit into the warmoth body. Took a little sanding to get it to go. Just a heads up. This was in the 90's, though. Who knows what it's like now! Keep us posted. I'd try the gotoh vintage trem that has the locking saddles and ovalized holes to prevent binding. It's the one on the Ibanez Andy Timmon's sig.

A

#10 ·
I was going to ask the same thing. won't it be a PITA to swap the guard over (especially after the first couple of times :razz:)? I would imagine it would eventually be left for months on end with one guard or the other, but that's probably just me. :grin:

why not have the coil tap but also angle the humbucker so that you get the strat staggered pup effect? might have to cut your own guard, but I imagine you won't lose too much sleep routing anything extra out of a Squier body.

#12 ·
That's right, this'll be for pickup reviews. The humbucker guard will have a push pull to go from series to parallel.

( And coil tap is what you do to singles to lower the output to vintage specs on higher output singles. Humbuckers are split ;) )

Two coats on the neck today. I'll use some steel wool to get the poly off the frets when it's done.

Just about have enough to order the Classic Vibe body soon. Can't wait to put this together.

#18 ·
Sprayed third coat on the neck this morning before coming to work. Went to hang it up in my studio to dry today, and it fell off the hook!!!! Needless to say a bunch of profanities left my mouth as I quickly picked it up and hung it back up. I think it's all ok, but it might have some fluff and dust from the carpet that I'll have to sand off now. :(

#20 ·
Phantom,

Could you please give a little review of the neck-feel when you've got it all together? I'm just wondering how you will like the slightly thicker dimensions and compound radius feel. I used to have several warmoth "standard thin" necks but they've all gone to relatives and for sale.

Thanks!

A

#24 · (Edited)
No, no bridge yet. I did look at the Super-Vee stuff. I contacted them about reviews but heard nothin back. I may have something else lined up though, just waiting to hear back. I want a black bridge anyway, and the Super-Vees aren't available in black.

Thanks heaps for your offers of assistance, as always my friend. :)

#32 ·
8 or 9 coats of polyurethane lacquer on the neck. The back feels great. A few imperfections and runs to sand out on top, but hopefully enough poly for it to be all good once sanded. Still need to get myself a body. Anyone got a white Squier or Mexican strat alder body?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.