<back   Jemsite > Toolbox: Setup, Repairs and Mods > Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods

Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

Old 12-06-2012, 06:47 PM

Reviews: 7

Painting and Clear questions on S series..

Hi guys. I've got so many plans for this used S series jap guitar I just put in layaway. The only thing I don't like about the guitar is the COLOR!.. maybe the pickups, but I can change those out easily enough.. I'm just considering this. If it's too hard from what everyone on here says, I'll leave it to an expert, or buy a new neck and body from online and try it there.. I just want a quality Ibanez Jap guitar with a cool color..for fun and giggles.. :-)
So, here's my questions.

To paint this black guitar some eye popping Ibanez Road Flare Orange or Some Bright Green, do I need to sand to the bare wood? If not, just scuff up the clear?
What spray can paint do you folks that have tried this recommend? I'm going to practice on an old strat body first though! I'm also going to paint the headstock I think to match!
What is a good can of clear coat brand that is easily available and works good? I don't care if it takes time to dry, and setup, as long as it's easily available and really works. I want something I can hopefully get at the hardware or big box hardware store, or car auto parts store?
Any advice in advance would be great!
Thanks
Tim
Old 12-07-2012, 02:01 AM

Re: Painting and Clear questions on S series..

It is not too hard if your NOT doing swirl (dna).
All modern guitars are painted in acrilic car paint.not enamael.
So first take it all apart so there is just the body.
Get some wet and dry sand paper about 800 grit.
Sand it all over with the paper and dipping it in clean water so the finish goes dull.
Fix any chips or cracks with filler or filler/undercoat spray can, when dry sand that bit back smooth/flush with the finish.
Next..you can undercoat the whole body with an acrillic car spray undercoat can...then you will have to sand the whole body back smooth again...but it may help your new colour be more even.
Choose your new colour from you local auto shop car paint spray can selection....it in best to buy too cans too make sure you dont run out hafe way through. Plus buy a large can of clear auto paint. It is best to buy a good brand paint. Buy a tac cloth for getting dust off the guitar before and durring painting.

We spray the colour on lite at first and try to avoid runs as you will needstop to sand them smooth before starting again. you will need to spray about 6 full coats of colour before spraying the clear. ..about 6 coats of clear.
Once youve got all the paint on leave it to dry as long as possible...at lease a few day in the sun so the thinners can evaporate and the paint will become hard.
Now we sand down the body with 800 grit wet and dry ...dipping the sandpaper in water as we go....about every few rubs stop and wip the area with a dry cloth and look closely and you will see the ruffness wearing down...be careful not to go through the clear ...happens most on the edges...once smooth stop...do this untill all the bodie is smooth. Now use 1200 grit wet and dry and repeat the above.
And if you want to polish by hand sand with 1600..and 2000 wet and dry.
to polish by hand use car products for hand buffing.
Watch lot of you tube vids on car repares painting....if you need more details feel free to message me.
Old 12-07-2012, 03:15 AM

Wow Paul. I really appreciate it. Great detail.

I'm not sure I'll do it if it's that much work..hehe.. Hell, it might be easier to pay someone..LOL..

It's just that this guitar would look so good with a different paint job. I mean it's not bad now, but it's just plain black. It has a chip on the lower horn. The chip is in the clear and to the paint, but not in the wood. What's weird is that I swear the clear must be 3/16'' thick. I couldn't believe how thick it was! Anyway, I'm so glad you said to use a filler.. I could do so there for sure..
It also has some rash on the back..

I was hoping to paint it one of the really bright colors like you could buy back in the 80's, or one of the sparkle colors I think it's called? Looks like it has metal flakes in the paint.. I want to paint it a green..or orange, etc,. Then I can change out the pups and have a real reason to buy the colored ones by Dimarzio.. hehe..

I have a friend that own's a body repair shop. I might have him paint it, but would I need to strip it for him first? Does the heat booth or whatever it's called make the job faster as far as drying the paint and then the clear?

Thanks man. I'll probably message you.. after this if I have more questions. Again, I really appreciate it man..
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul72 View Post
It is not too hard if your NOT doing swirl (dna).
All modern guitars are painted in acrilic car paint.not enamael.
So first take it all apart so there is just the body.
Get some wet and dry sand paper about 800 grit.
Sand it all over with the paper and dipping it in clean water so the finish goes dull.
Fix any chips or cracks with filler or filler/undercoat spray can, when dry sand that bit back smooth/flush with the finish.
Next..you can undercoat the whole body with an acrillic car spray undercoat can...then you will have to sand the whole body back smooth again...but it may help your new colour be more even.
Choose your new colour from you local auto shop car paint spray can selection....it in best to buy too cans too make sure you dont run out hafe way through. Plus buy a large can of clear auto paint. It is best to buy a good brand paint. Buy a tac cloth for getting dust off the guitar before and durring painting.

We spray the colour on lite at first and try to avoid runs as you will needstop to sand them smooth before starting again. you will need to spray about 6 full coats of colour before spraying the clear. ..about 6 coats of clear.
Once youve got all the paint on leave it to dry as long as possible...at lease a few day in the sun so the thinners can evaporate and the paint will become hard.
Now we sand down the body with 800 grit wet and dry ...dipping the sandpaper in water as we go....about every few rubs stop and wip the area with a dry cloth and look closely and you will see the ruffness wearing down...be careful not to go through the clear ...happens most on the edges...once smooth stop...do this untill all the bodie is smooth. Now use 1200 grit wet and dry and repeat the above.
And if you want to polish by hand sand with 1600..and 2000 wet and dry.
to polish by hand use car products for hand buffing.
Watch lot of you tube vids on car repares painting....if you need more details feel free to message me.
Old 12-07-2012, 03:17 AM

Oh, almost forgot. After painting, adding the clear, and then doing all the wet dry sanding, is it ok after drying to use a buffing machine on the body to get that killer wet look?
Tim
Old 12-07-2012, 04:48 AM

Another really good idea I have done when I was not happy with the paint on one of my guitars is....Set it on fire like steve Vai's universe.
Looks very cool .
Strip down the guitar and mask up the neck joint.... spray colours you would want on it...
When its burn the colours mix in weird ways....looks cool as. Dont let it fully burn as you want some paint on there...lol.
Rub it with scura pad to get the loose stuff off.
You can clear coat it with Enamal spray paint..but it takes at least 3 or 4 days to get dry enough. I didnt cleap coat ...it looks duller but still looks good.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:51 AM

Thanks man. I think I've seen the guitar steve vai did that with on the video "For the love of God", but you're going to think I'm nuts, but I thought it looked awful.. LOL..
Thanks man. I'll message you later..
Tim
Old 12-17-2012, 12:03 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

I've always used Krylon base coats and--Krylon Triple Thick Clear Glaze.
That stuff is amazing!
Old 12-18-2012, 06:52 AM

Thanks Alaska. That's readily available here in Indiana.. Have you used it to paint a guitar body?
Tim
Old 12-18-2012, 01:24 PM

Reviews: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy View Post
Oh, almost forgot. After painting, adding the clear, and then doing all the wet dry sanding, is it ok after drying to use a buffing machine on the body to get that killer wet look?
Tim
This works well, but it's hard to get into the cutaways at times. You also need to be sure the paint has cured -- this can take a month depending on what you use.
Old 12-18-2012, 01:44 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy View Post
Thanks Alaska. That's readily available here in Indiana.. Have you used it to paint a guitar body?
Tim
Yes--it's all I use!
Look for my custom RG-550 Space Invaders thread.
You'll like it!
Bubble gum purple with triple-thick glaze and a reflective Ibanez decal that looks like it glows

Found it:
http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f21/rg...space+invaders
Old 12-18-2012, 02:02 PM

Thanks Phil. If I paint this thing, I'm going to do it right. I have a friend that owns a Body Shop. I guess I need to talk to him about painting it. He told me one time he'd only charge me 25 bucks to paint and I bought the paint. He has a
booth or something? They also can heat up the thing?
Is that the way to go?
Thanks
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philboski View Post
This works well, but it's hard to get into the cutaways at times. You also need to be sure the paint has cured -- this can take a month depending on what you use.
Old 12-23-2012, 12:43 AM

The booth is a paint booth to pump fresh air in and pull the fumes out!! and it can heat up to 180 degrees depending on the booth! it's called a baking cycle, shops use it so they can speed up the drying of the clear coat! they will usually paint and once there done spraying clear will turn on the heat to the booth! so instead of taking an hour or two to dry it takes 15 to 30 minutes. Now remember curing and drying are to different things curing clear coat can last up to a year, also is you use automotive clear you do not want to wax for about 3 to 6 months as it could trap the escaping solavant and cause bubbles in the paint and clear! also maybe he would let you paint it in the booth with him? maybe get some experience!
hope i helped some

Tags
painting guitar, s series painting

Show/Hide Posting Rules