<back   Jemsite > Toolbox: Setup, Repairs and Mods > Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods

Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

Old 11-13-2003, 03:22 PM

Reviews: 14

proper place to install top strap button on a Seagull S6

I just bought a Seagull S6 Acoustic and I don't want to tie my strap to the neck. It's already got the bottom button. Where is the correct place to install the top strap button?

thanks

Robbie
Old 11-13-2003, 05:18 PM

Those necks are bolted on. The only glue they use is on the fretboard. Anything can change, but that's how I've always seen them, and I've re-set a few of their necks over time. In a traditionally made guitar I like the button installed on the back of the body, right behind the neck heel. I usually drill a larger hole in the back itself, and the smaller pilot in the dovetail. Then the screw "floats" in the back, which is fragile, but threads the heel block. Seagulls have a bolt down there towards the end of the neck heel. That means you can't use too long of a screw because it will bottom out at the bolt.

Because of the shorter screw I'd say put it in my second favorite place-the neck heel. I'd go with a screw that has about 1/2" (3/4" at the most) protruding on the other side of the strap button. There's no wood to put it to the side of the neck. You'd have to be so close to the neck that you can't get your strap in there. Some guys put it on the underside of the neck heel, like where your palm would hit if you were playing up high. I don't like it there for that reason alone, but structurally its fine.

I hope this helps, but what kind of an idiot writes two paragraphs on a strap button anyway?
Old 11-13-2003, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankfalbo
I hope this helps, but what kind of an idiot writes two paragraphs on a strap button anyway?
An idiot with a great deal of experience and wisdom to share! Thanks for the thorough explanation, Frank!
Old 11-13-2003, 07:06 PM

Reviews: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankfalbo
Those necks are bolted on. The only glue they use is on the fretboard. Anything can change, but that's how I've always seen them, and I've re-set a few of their necks over time. In a traditionally made guitar I like the button installed on the back of the body, right behind the neck heel. I usually drill a larger hole in the back itself, and the smaller pilot in the dovetail. Then the screw "floats" in the back, which is fragile, but threads the heel block. Seagulls have a bolt down there towards the end of the neck heel. That means you can't use too long of a screw because it will bottom out at the bolt.

Because of the shorter screw I'd say put it in my second favorite place-the neck heel. I'd go with a screw that has about 1/2" (3/4" at the most) protruding on the other side of the strap button. There's no wood to put it to the side of the neck. You'd have to be so close to the neck that you can't get your strap in there. Some guys put it on the underside of the neck heel, like where your palm would hit if you were playing up high. I don't like it there for that reason alone, but structurally its fine.

thanks for the info.

Can you, or anybody, give me a "visual" representation of the two choices?
Old 03-22-2010, 12:37 PM

Re: proper place to install top strap button on a Seagull S6

You can get the exact Instructions at:

www dot seagullguitars dot com / strap%20pin%20installation dot pdf

Tags
strap button

Show/Hide Posting Rules