<back   Jemsite > Toolbox: Setup, Repairs and Mods > Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods

Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

Old 06-02-2007, 05:00 AM
(a)

Recommended trems

Hi All...

I have 2 RG bodies a 570 and a 620...

Which trem or trems would you / should I fit into them?

The reason I ask is that I'm a little confused as to which trems to get / fit.

I get told loads of different bits of info such as 'don't touch Edge III's' or 'stay away from TRS's' etc but without much hard detail as to why I should!

I believe, correct me please if I'm wrong, that TRS's a the cheaper Korean trems so I can understand people advising me against them but that's about it.

Is there 'anything wrong' with Edge III's or the speedloader trems?

Sorry for the noob style question but you guys seem pretty straight ahead guys who know the stuff!

Cheers
Karl
Old 06-02-2007, 10:33 AM

Re: Recommended trems

Put in the trems that they originally used -- Ibanez Edge, or Lo-Pro Edge. This way there's no work to be done, just plop it straight in.

There's nothing wrong with a TRS, as long as it's not the inferior TRS II (regular or Lo). TRS in fact is a pretty decent trem, if only a little ugly. It is made by Takeuchi for Ibanez and made in Japan from good quality hard steel. The TRS II bridges are made in Korea and not as hard, they wear a lot faster, plus suffer from stability problems.

Last edited by Dee; 06-02-2007 at 10:49 AM. Reason: Corrected spelling...
Old 06-02-2007, 10:35 AM

There's nothing wrong with the Edge IIIs. That's just crap spewed, most of the time by morons who are just regurgitating what they've heard online, ususally by another moron. I have an Edge III, and have had ZERO problem with it, and I beat on it. I might have to check the tuning, once in a while, during a set, and usually it's still in, but other than that, it's solid (I do alot of reverse dives and regular dives, so, yeah, the trem and strings are getting put through the course).
I will say this: Some people are put of by the slip-in trem arm. I have NEVER lost the trem arm by it coming out of the socket. Once, the retainer got a little bit loose (I like an arm that stay where you put it). I merely tightened it, ever so slightly, and all was well, again. That could be chalked up to the unit settling in, though, as it was in the first 9 months of decent use. The unit IS lighter than, say, the Edge trem, which is my all-time favorite trem unit. However, I haven't had any problems with failed parts, stripped threads, cracked saddles or blocks, etc..

Now, for the other unit, you mentioned, the speedloader trems. If you are talking about the generic ones, like they sell on Evilbay, they are single-locking, and thus will not hold tune as well as a double-locking trem (in theory, at least), because, now there is a place for slack-storage of the strings. I say "In Theory", because I had Kahler trems on my Charvels and one of my strats, which are single-locking, and had no tuning problems with them, either, and they had behind-the-nut locking nuts, to boot. Additionally, I have not had the opportunity to try one of those "speedloader" trems out, but I'd be willing to bet they don't stay in, all that well. If I was on a budget, and wasn't playing regular gigs, maybe just bedroom playing, I might think about one on a guitar, till I could afford something else, but for a main guitar, on stage, I'll stay with my Edge III or something else.

I'd stay clear of the TRS IIs. I had an Ibanez that had one on it, for about a day, till I could take it back. Wouldn't stay in tune to save it's life! I hear the TRS is better, but like I said, that just what I hear.

Just my 2 cents....
Old 06-02-2007, 11:18 AM

i have an edge iii as well, if it's set up right it's a great trem. For your application get a Gotoh Licensed from UniversalJEMs or an OFR with some locking studs. Ibanez trems are ****ing expensive
Old 06-02-2007, 11:58 AM
(a)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racerx2k View Post
There's nothing wrong with the Edge IIIs. That's just crap spewed, most of the time by morons who are just regurgitating what they've heard online, ususally by another moron. I have an Edge III, and have had ZERO problem with it, and I beat on it. I might have to check the tuning, once in a while, during a set, and usually it's still in, but other than that, it's solid (I do alot of reverse dives and regular dives, so, yeah, the trem and strings are getting put through the course).
I will say this: Some people are put of by the slip-in trem arm. I have NEVER lost the trem arm by it coming out of the socket. Once, the retainer got a little bit loose (I like an arm that stay where you put it). I merely tightened it, ever so slightly, and all was well, again. That could be chalked up to the unit settling in, though, as it was in the first 9 months of decent use. The unit IS lighter than, say, the Edge trem, which is my all-time favorite trem unit. However, I haven't had any problems with failed parts, stripped threads, cracked saddles or blocks, etc..

Now, for the other unit, you mentioned, the speedloader trems. If you are talking about the generic ones, like they sell on Evilbay, they are single-locking, and thus will not hold tune as well as a double-locking trem (in theory, at least), because, now there is a place for slack-storage of the strings. I say "In Theory", because I had Kahler trems on my Charvels and one of my strats, which are single-locking, and had no tuning problems with them, either, and they had behind-the-nut locking nuts, to boot. Additionally, I have not had the opportunity to try one of those "speedloader" trems out, but I'd be willing to bet they don't stay in, all that well. If I was on a budget, and wasn't playing regular gigs, maybe just bedroom playing, I might think about one on a guitar, till I could afford something else, but for a main guitar, on stage, I'll stay with my Edge III or something else.

I'd stay clear of the TRS IIs. I had an Ibanez that had one on it, for about a day, till I could take it back. Wouldn't stay in tune to save it's life! I hear the TRS is better, but like I said, that just what I hear.

Just my 2 cents....
Thanks alot mate. Just the sort of advice I was looking for.

Cheers
Karl
Old 06-02-2007, 12:37 PM

well all the edge 3's I've worked with annoy me and aren't they a different size than the edge and lo-pro so only the edge and lo-pro will work for those bodies. Right? Cause if it is routed for the edge then only lo-pro's and edge's will fit and edge pro too if i remember right but I prefer edge over edge pro and they are like the same price
Old 06-02-2007, 02:31 PM

I was mostly answering his question about the trems in question, and not so much commenting on which ones will fit without mods, just to clarify. If the Gotoh fits (which I'm not certain if it does or not) I'd go for that. They are great trems. Very well built, and stay in tune, nicely.
As for the Edge and Lo-Pro Edge. If they are the ones that fit, I wouldn't hesitate to drop one in, especially the Edge. They, IMHO, are THEE best trems ever. I lke them ever more than the OFRs. If you can get a nice one for a decent price, on, say, Evilbay, snatch it up. You won't regret it.
Old 06-03-2007, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee View Post
Put in the trems that they originally used -- Ibanez Edge, or Lo-Pro Edge. This way there's no work to be done, just plop it straight in.

There's nothing wrong with a TRS, as long as it's not the inferior TRS II (regular or Lo). TRS in fact is a pretty decent trem, if only a little ugly. It is made by Takeuchi for Ibanez and made in Japan from good quality hard steel. The TRS II bridges are made in Korea and not as hard, they wear a lot faster, plus suffer from stability problems.

Glad to hear that, I have a TRS in my RG470.
Old 06-10-2007, 07:54 PM

The worst thing about the TRS is the cheesy studs. Those can be upgraded to solve that problem, but I still prefer the Edge LoPro myself(which is not a difficult mod for a 470-IF you are good with a router). I would like to try an Edge III mod as it looks a lot like the old LoPro(just made in Korea).

Tags
edge trem, ibanez trem, kahler trem, locking nut, locking nuts, locking stud, locking studs, pro edge, trem arm

Show/Hide Posting Rules