<back   Jemsite > Toolbox: Setup, Repairs and Mods > Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods

Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

Old 02-10-2001, 10:08 PM

refinishing and new inlays and binding - how do i get a jewe

ok..I've read all about how to refinish a guitar in past discussions so i think i've got that down but i've been thinking about giving one of my 7620s a jewel blue finish and i was wondering how i could do this...ya know ...give it that weird effect where it fades from purple to blue depending on the lighting.

also i was wondering how i could get rid of the dot inlays if at all possible and give it a lightning bolt effect all the way down the neck, and how do i bind the neck and headstock and body?

any advice would be greatly appreciated

(Edited by diablo at 10:10 pm on Feb. 10, 2001)
Old 02-10-2001, 11:30 PM

refinishing and new inlays and binding

If i remember correctly, jewel blue wasn't really an interference finish. It was more of a really deep pearl blue. Not quite metallic, not really a candy-apple finish either. But beautiful nonetheless. I always loved jewel blue on the Radius model guitars.

If you're thinking of one of those interference/"flip-flop"/prismatic paints, be prepared for a big shock. Those paints cost hundreds of dollars for just tiny amounts. And they probably have to be applied by a pro with good technique and good equipment to get acceptable results.

Getting rid of the dot inlays is mainly a matter of drilling out the dots on a drill press and then filling the holes with rosewood plugs. Any inlay job really needs to be done in conjunction with a refret, because the inlays need to be sanded flush with the fretboard, and that's really difficult to do with the frets in place.

Same goes for binding. You have to remove the frets, rout channels for the binding, glue the binding in, then sand and scrape it flush with the fretboard and edges of the neck, then you have to re-install the frets and quite likely refinish the headstock.

As you can see, inlay work and binding are much easier to execute when done while the guitar is being made, rather than trying to retrofit those things onto a finished instrument.
Old 02-11-2001, 01:27 AM

thanks darren ...i planned on refinishing the headstock anyway also jewel blue and to cover up where it says rg series and put diablo there instead, i wasn't quite hoping for so much work or to spend so mucj money on the paint but i think its more than worth it.Maybe I'll see what the price a professional would charge....i'll try to maybe get a pic up if i ever get around to doing it.This should be a nice fun project.Any other advice is welcome.

(Edited by diablo at 1:30 am on Feb. 11, 2001)
Old 02-11-2001, 12:29 PM

For what it would cost you in shop time for the binding, inlay re-filling, custom inlay and headstock refinishing, (and all the associated costs like re-fretting the neck) it might be more cost-effective to just have a new custom neck made from scratch.

(Edited by darren wilson at 12:31 pm on Feb. 11, 2001)
Old 02-11-2001, 10:03 PM

I'd get a one made but what about the ibanez logo on the headstock???Also have u seen a jewel blue finish in person?Cuz i think you're talking about a finish that changes about every second but a jewel blue doesn't change at all suddenly but it gives off slightly different shades of deep purple and cerulean blue when lighting changes. I also don't really plan on having someone else do it. I like to work on my own guitar when possible. I have a guitar i call old fart that i'm gonna use to get the feel on before i go to work on this.
Old 02-14-2001, 03:30 PM

Reviews: 2

A guitar called "old fart." That's great, ive never heard that term applied to a guitar. I just use my "****ty guitar." But I guess they smell about the same. :biggrin:
Old 02-14-2001, 05:34 PM

Uh... if you're planning on refinishing the headstock Jewel Blue anyway, what were you planning on doing with the Ibanez logo? Painting around it?

I've seen Jewel Blue many times... it's actually one of my favourite Ibanez colours, so i know it's not a flip-flop/interference finish. It's just a really deep blue that looks awesome on a 540R.
Old 02-14-2001, 07:49 PM

Reviews: 5

I agree that it's a great color. *I'd love to see Ibanez bring this color back on the RG-770. *Jewel Blue Finish with maple fretboard and matching blue sharkteeth
Old 02-15-2001, 05:16 PM

yeah darren i basically did plan on painting around it.i'm just goin'g to sheild the logo and the check behind.And i know its gonna take some work but it doesn't bother me too mnuch cuz i bought it used as a piece of crap

Tags
darren wilson, dot inlay, dot inlays, maple fret, maple fretboard

Show/Hide Posting Rules