removed all strings from my floating trem (oops) (newbie alert) - Jemsite
<back   Jemsite > Toolbox: Setup, Repairs and Mods > Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

Old 02-18-2015, 01:24 PM

removed all strings from my floating trem (oops) (newbie alert)

I went to change strings on my first ever floating trem guitar, I put a block under the trem because I read it somewhere. But what I didn't read was that I SHOULD NOT take off all the strings. And no matter how much adjusting I do to this thing I can't tune it. Please help
Old 02-18-2015, 01:41 PM
(a)

Reviews: 2

Re: removed all strings from my floating trem (oops) (newbie alert)

There's nothing wrong with taking off all of the strings. The trick is to get the right balance between your string tension and spring tension in the back.

What kind of guitar are you working with?

Old 02-18-2015, 02:21 PM
Banned

This should be moved to Tech section.

Old 02-18-2015, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by panix View Post
This should be moved to Tech section.
Done.
Old 02-18-2015, 04:12 PM

Ok.. I'm not the most experienced guy on floating trems, only been using them about a year. I have found a method that is simple and works great for me. I did something similar to what you did initially... trying to tune like a solid bridge guitar and the tremolo ended up doing a nose dive!

First - You need to get the tremolo level, if you don't know what it looks like when level... tell us what kind you have or hit google for a picture. You will need to know "level" for good stability. Then put your fine tuners in the middle of their position.

Second - Using small blocks of wood... or a screwdriver handle... or anything really (a pkg of wood shims is cheap and works great), you need to remove the cover on the back of the guitar and expose the tremolo springs and "block" (where they attach). Using blocks of wood (or whatever) in front and back of the tremolo block, set the tremolo so it is level on the front of the guitar. The tremolo block will usually be pretty close to a right angle to the strings.

Third - Now proceed to tune the guitar as you normally would - to E or Eb or whatever. With the tremolo "blocked" it will stay level. (stretch your strings good or it will go out of tune easily until they settle in)

4th - remove the blocks that are keeping the tremolo level... it will probably go out of tune - sharp or flat. Now just adjust the spring "claw", usually 2 screws. If the strings went sharp, unscrew them little by little (if you turn 1 screw a quarter turn, then do the same to the other), until you are back in tune. If they went flat, then tighten the screws until back in tune.

This will get you just about perfect... then lock your nut... and use the fine tuners to tweak it until perfect! I use the same process if I am going to change tunings... like from E to Eb or drop D.

Check tremolo level after the process is done and make sure it is still set up right.

More info here... http://www.jemsite.com/tech-setup-a-questions

Last edited by FireEagle; 02-18-2015 at 04:20 PM..
Old 02-19-2015, 11:45 AM

I always remove all strings, it gives me a chance to clean the fretboard and other places where the strings usually make it difficult, what i do is to put something under the trem to fix it with the correct angle, then remove the strings, clean the guitar and put the new strings, one thing i found out is that do not try to do a pull up with the bar with the strings removed or your trem might pop out.

Tags
edge 3 , floating trem , floyd rose , ibanez , tremelo

Show/Hide Posting Rules