RG2570E Paintjob Help!!! - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-20-2016, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

RG2570E Paintjob Help!!!

Hey ther guys!
So i had an RG2570E for a while now so i decided to paint it because i have corrosive sweat and it would make the guitar body slowly turn yellow , so i took it upon me to have a little project with my favourite guitar!After carefully sanding down the guitar body i proceeded to paint the guitar , the result came out amazing! i gave it a bit of a swirly vibe to it,after i was done and i was admiring my work , i would have used varnish and later on i'd pass it with a high gloss to have that glowing finish ,but soon a small disaster came so my project came to a pause...i applied the varnish ,and after lettting it set for a bit , it just came off like , the half of the guitar just peeled off and now 1/4 of my guitar has varnish on it , and the rest is the solid colour,is there a chance to remove it? or what do you suggest i should do??,i'll leave some pictures of the guitar right now attached to the post so you can see it
Thanks for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-20-2016, 07:11 PM

Re: RG2570E Paintjob Help!!!

It sounds like the varnish had a negative reaction to the paint you used. I can only see one picture in the thread so im not sure what the damage is like....however you may need to sand everything down and repaint it and either use a different product for the clear coat or bring it to somebody else for the clear coat.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-20-2016, 07:27 PM Thread Starter

So there is no way for me to remove the varnish? Nothing else? Just remove it?
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

Bump,still strugling to figure out what to do!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-22-2016, 01:49 AM
Vendor

I'm only seeing the one pic and not clear as to what happened. When you say it pealed off, you mean the varnish and your paint job, revealing only the factory finish?

Sounds like a prep problem...

1. What grit did you sand the original paint down to?
2. What type of paint did you use for your graphic?

Lets start there...
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-22-2016, 03:46 AM Thread Starter

I think the paint was acrylic and the varnish wasn't so what i was thinking was could i sand it down with ultra fine grit sandpaper and remove the varnish without ruining the paint.. I'll try that today... Thanks for your help! I'll update the post later today, what do you think about the paint though
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-22-2016, 05:11 AM

First few layers should be just mist!

Then leave to dry between every layer .

When you build enough thick layer of varnish, then you can spray harder.

If you need to test varnish, test it into spring cavity to see reaction.
peromucho7 is online  
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-22-2016, 09:17 AM
Vendor

If your paint is coming off - then the problem is with your surface prep of the guitar. It doesn't have a good surface to adhere to.

Tags
ibanez rg , rg 2570e

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode