<back   Jemsite > Toolbox: Setup, Repairs and Mods > Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods

Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

Old 01-22-2013, 10:44 PM

Re: RG350ex project

Would you look at that, pickguard fits like a glove.

She is complete
It's been the longest month of my life, but it was worth every second, and every penny ( $555.80 to be exact )

Sounds amazing, and I was hoping it would during the 5 hour soldering session I had
Old 01-22-2013, 11:58 PM

Reviews: 1

looks great
Old 01-24-2013, 07:31 PM
(a)

Looks good man, but for that kind of money you could have bought a Prestige with a solid trem and had cash left over for the EVO....
Old 01-24-2013, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Looks good man, but for that kind of money you could have bought a Prestige with a solid trem and had cash left over for the EVO...

The other day I purchased a new metal lathe to make a billet pulley for the supercharger on my truck.

I could of purchased the pulley for 150$.....the lathe....well, lets just say it was more.

Sometimes the journey is better then the destination; at least that is what I keep telling myself!!!!!

~JH
Old 01-24-2013, 10:30 PM
(a)

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldrecordholder View Post
The other day I purchased a new metal lathe to make a billet pulley for the supercharger on my truck.

I could of purchased the pulley for 150$.....the lathe....well, lets just say it was more.

Sometimes the journey is better then the destination; at least that is what I keep telling myself!!!!!

~JH
Yeah I know...I spent a lot of money working on cheap guitars at first too, but he could have had the same exact journey for the same price and had a better quality guitar in the end. Sometimes it pays to research and think things through a little more right...

Besides you're a handy MF'er you'll be making a lot more "stuff" with that lathe
Old 01-30-2013, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swirltop View Post
Looks good man, but for that kind of money you could have bought a Prestige with a solid trem and had cash left over for the EVO....
What JH said, it's all about the journey there. I completely get where you are coming from, but do the Prestiges come with shark tooth inlays, or white binding on the neck? And personally, I like the Edge 3, it just takes a bit of time to set up, nbd.

Back to the guitar. I've run into 2 big problems so far.
1. I wired the killswitch wrong, TWICE! It's an old Sanwa button that I used in a Fender I had, I just can't remember how I wired it..

2. The finish over the headstock and sticker cracked and is peeling off
I'll probably just end up peeling it all off, and cleaning it up.

So that's the plan for tomorrow, rewiring the killswitch and cleaning up the headstock. No pics of it's current state as it's past my bedtime
Old 01-30-2013, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldrecordholder View Post

~JH
Also, let's see a pic of that truck of yours
Old 01-31-2013, 07:52 AM
(a)

Quote:
Originally Posted by draven.bmx View Post
What JH said, it's all about the journey there. I completely get where you are coming from, but do the Prestiges come with shark tooth inlays, or white binding on the neck? And personally, I like the Edge 3, it just takes a bit of time to set up, nbd.

Back to the guitar. I've run into 2 big problems so far.
1. I wired the killswitch wrong, TWICE! It's an old Sanwa button that I used in a Fender I had, I just can't remember how I wired it..

2. The finish over the headstock and sticker cracked and is peeling off
I'll probably just end up peeling it all off, and cleaning it up.

So that's the plan for tomorrow, rewiring the killswitch and cleaning up the headstock. No pics of it's current state as it's past my bedtime
With the kill switch just interrupt the hot wire going to the output jack and you're all set.

Your clearcoat... When you redo it you need to scuff up the factory clear with 800-1000 grit then wash it with degreaser or alcohol before you lay anything else on top. If you really want a professional look get some Spraymax 2k clear for it. It's a real 2 part urethane in a spray can; it will cost you about $30 with shipping but it will look and last 1000% better than anything else you can get in a can...

And yes Prestiges do come with shark tooth inlays and bound necks. I actually just picked one up specifically for the neck to use on my Jem swirl project. It's bound with ghost shark tooth inlays

But I completely get what you are saying about the project man, and I did not mean to come off as a jerk or anything. Hell, my first project was on a box of strat parts I picked up for $100 so you're already ahead of me
Old 01-31-2013, 11:34 AM

Reviews: 37

best way to do a kill switch is send the hot wire to from jack to ground on pot.
if you simply break hot you get a loud pop.
if you ground out the hot you get silence.
you need a switch that is normaly open then when you close the circuit pushing it in you ground the jack to pot.

http://media.photobucket.com/image/w...hDiagram-1.jpg

Last edited by andrewsfury; 01-31-2013 at 11:43 AM.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:06 PM
(a)

IDK That's how I did my killswitch... never got any loud pops

Edit: I had to go check it after that. I did wire it to the pot like in the diagram AF posted...That's the way to do it

Last edited by Swirltop; 01-31-2013 at 01:26 PM. Reason: I was wrong...unbelievable I know :)
Old 01-31-2013, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swirltop View Post
IDK That's how I did my killswitch... never got any loud pops

Edit: I had to go check it after that. I did wire it to the pot like in the diagram AF posted...That's the way to do it
lol. yeah i knew it would pop the otherway.
if you break hot its like pulling the cable in and out over and over.
verybad for tube amp.

sorry for yesterday swirltop had a bad day watching newborns.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:41 PM

Wow, looks good.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:33 PM
(a)

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewsfury View Post
lol. yeah i knew it would pop the otherway.
if you break hot its like pulling the cable in and out over and over.
verybad for tube amp.

sorry for yesterday swirltop had a bad day watching newborns.
No big deal man... I would have been a little testy if I had a tornado coming and babies to take care of as well... no harm done, just glad you guys all made it through the storm safe!
Old 01-31-2013, 08:34 PM

Well today was rough, to say the least. I finally managed to get the killswitch under control.
Turns out, I used to wire it from the jack, hot to one side, ground to the other, and then through to the volume and ground.
But I went ahead and did what Andrew said, and it seems to work a bit better. Not as much popping, but there is still a very faint pop every once in a while.
My main concern was not being able to do it WITH the coil tap, but that wasn't even touched .

The headstock got cleaned up as well, a few finish scratches, but nothing that noticeable.

(yes, I like to put the strings on backwards )

I'd say it came out pretty darn good, especially for costing about $600
Old 01-31-2013, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by draven.bmx View Post
Well today was rough, to say the least. I finally managed to get the killswitch under control.
Turns out, I used to wire it from the jack, hot to one side, ground to the other, and then through to the volume and ground.
But I went ahead and did what Andrew said, and it seems to work a bit better. Not as much popping, but there is still a very faint pop every once in a while.
My main concern was not being able to do it WITH the coil tap, but that wasn't even touched .

The headstock got cleaned up as well, a few finish scratches, but nothing that noticeable.

(yes, I like to put the strings on backwards )

I'd say it came out pretty darn good, especially for costing about $600
nice.
i do my strings the same way.
diadarrios look the best with the colored balls though.
who needs blueballs anyway, lol.

glad the switch worked out for you.

Tags
build, project, rg350ex

Show/Hide Posting Rules