<back   Jemsite > Toolbox: Setup, Repairs and Mods > Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods

Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 02-01-2013, 05:26 PM
(a)
Swirltop  is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 2,333  -  iTrader: (12)

Re: RG570 to Jem Project


Took a few pics of a mockup today after blocking the clear with 1000 grit...

I used one can of Spraymax 2K urethane clear coat... This stuff is awesome, rock hard after 2 days instead of weeks or months with other spray can clears. It lays down and builds really nice and considering you can wet sand and buff it right away it's definitely worth it... It's really smooth and slick right now, feels like a bowling ball







quote
  #17  
Old 02-01-2013, 07:22 PM
worldrecordholder  is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Portland Oregon
Posts: 140  -  iTrader: (0)

Re: RG570 to Jem Project


Typically I am not a fan of 'swirl' guitars; its a personal preference deal....they just look too 60's 'happy'.

I must admit that I prefer the more ominous, darker color tones you have got going on here.

Looks great.

~JH
quote
  #18  
Old 02-01-2013, 07:41 PM
(a)
Swirltop  is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 2,333  -  iTrader: (12)

Re: RG570 to Jem Project


Quote:
Originally Posted by worldrecordholder View Post
Typically I am not a fan of 'swirl' guitars; its a personal preference deal....they just look too 60's 'happy'.

I must admit that I prefer the more ominous, darker color tones you have got going on here.

Looks great.

~JH
LOL...too 60's happy. Yeah I know exactly what you mean, I don't really care for those types either. I'm working at trying to develop my own style when it comes to swirling; I think I'm getting closer...

Thanks
quote
  #19  
Old 02-13-2013, 10:58 PM
(a)
Swirltop  is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 2,333  -  iTrader: (12)

Re: RG570 to Jem Project


I finally got a new foam pad in so I tried it out a little tonight on just the top... You can see the pictures on the opposite wall in the reflection

quote
  #20  
Old 02-13-2013, 11:16 PM
(a)
RGTFanatic  is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: New Lenox, IL-USA
Posts: 8,229  -  iTrader: (17)
Reviews: 2

Re: RG570 to Jem Project


Dude, This is SUCH a bad-a$$ swirl.

It's "mean and nasty" vs. "cosmic beauty". One of the best swirls ever IMO.

I'd pay for a swirl just like it!!! Can't wait to see it finished...........
__________________

quote
  #21  
Old 02-14-2013, 02:48 AM
(a)
Wolfram  is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,390  -  iTrader: (0)
Reviews: 13

Re: RG570 to Jem Project


You made doing that swirl look a lot easier than it actually is to do.

-Wolfram
quote
  #22  
Old 02-14-2013, 05:03 AM
(a)
Zoot  is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Yorkshire,UK
Posts: 1,528  -  iTrader: (27)

Re: RG570 to Jem Project


I missed all this . Great work and I like the swirl , it reminds me of firework wrappers.
Carry on
quote
  #23  
Old 02-14-2013, 05:31 AM
63Blazer  is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Northern California
Posts: 1,671  -  iTrader: (0)

Re: RG570 to Jem Project


That is a huge undertaking.

I also had a stock guitar and changed body shape and paint job. It was fun but I didn't take it to the professional level you did. Many congrats!
quote
  #24  
Old 02-14-2013, 09:40 AM
(a)
Swirltop  is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 2,333  -  iTrader: (12)

Re: RG570 to Jem Project


Wow guys thank you for the compliments
quote
  #25  
Old 02-14-2013, 10:23 AM
ohaple  is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: behind you
Posts: 156  -  iTrader: (0)

Re: RG570 to Jem Project


I love this project. Let me first say. I'm never really impressed with swirls. I just don't like the style. This really appeals to me though. Doesn't look like a swirl, looks more like someone spilled radioactive waste on your black jem. great job. I like the back too...
quote
  #26  
Old 02-14-2013, 11:30 AM
63Blazer  is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Northern California
Posts: 1,671  -  iTrader: (0)

Re: RG570 to Jem Project


Quote:
Originally Posted by ohaple View Post
I love this project. Let me first say. I'm never really impressed with swirls. I just don't like the style. This really appeals to me though. Doesn't look like a swirl, looks more like someone spilled radioactive waste on your black jem. great job. I like the back too...
This is like a "goth" Jem or the anti-Jem and really a much better swirl than all the other Ibanezes I have seen. Even fewer bright colors in volume in the soup would be better. Mostly black with just a hint of those other colors would be amazing.

I wonder if Ibanez is taking notice here.
quote
  #27  
Old 02-14-2013, 02:27 PM
(a)
Swirltop  is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 2,333  -  iTrader: (12)

Re: RG570 to Jem Project


Quote:
Originally Posted by 63Blazer View Post
This is like a "goth" Jem or the anti-Jem and really a much better swirl than all the other Ibanezes I have seen. Even fewer bright colors in volume in the soup would be better. Mostly black with just a hint of those other colors would be amazing.

I wonder if Ibanez is taking notice here.
The anti-Jem I like it... Everyone seems to name their swirls so I'm using that one!!! That's some pretty high praise and I wouldn't go as far as saying that this is better than anyone else's, but thank you for the compliments man

Hey Ohaple I'm glad you made it over here! Thanks man
quote
  #28  
Old 02-14-2013, 02:59 PM
63Blazer  is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Northern California
Posts: 1,671  -  iTrader: (0)

Re: RG570 to Jem Project


Quote:
Originally Posted by Swirltop View Post
The anti-Jem I like it... Everyone seems to name their swirls so I'm using that one!!! That's some pretty high praise and I wouldn't go as far as saying that this is better than anyone else's, but thank you for the compliments man

Hey Ohaple I'm glad you made it over here! Thanks man

Also that dark Jem you have would be great for a horror flick and it out-horrors any ESP thing Kirk Hammett has in his arsenal. A black, silver, and red swirl would probably be great for djent bands.

I can't understand why Ibanez has not taken the swirl thing bigger! Again, congrats on the most menacing looking Jem in the universe.

Last edited by 63Blazer; 02-14-2013 at 05:37 PM.
quote
  #29  
Old 02-14-2013, 03:06 PM
(a)
Demogorgos  is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Madrid, Spain
Posts: 1,194  -  iTrader: (0)
Exclamation

Re: RG570 to Jem Project


Absolutely lovely! But...

Before I can give my "Me Gusta Seal of Approval" there is an important question that has to be asked:

Will you use the neck I see in the pictures, or will you have a neck with some inlays (DP/Vine)?

Regards,

JP
quote
  #30  
Old 02-14-2013, 04:29 PM
ohaple  is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: behind you
Posts: 156  -  iTrader: (0)

Re: RG570 to Jem Project


Quote:
Originally Posted by Demogorgos View Post
Absolutely lovely! But...

Before I can give my "Me Gusta Seal of Approval" there is an important question that has to be asked:

Will you use the neck I see in the pictures, or will you have a neck with some inlays (DP/Vine)?

Regards,

JP
To be honest, looking at his pics, I keep forgetting it has the monkey grip, because my eyes are drawn to the bottom right, because thats the coolest part IMO. To me the neck looked natural.... haha Could look cool with pyramids also though.
quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Show/Hide Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Show/Hide Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Project RG570 almost done! Swirltop Other Ibanez Guitars (including Premiums) 21 04-15-2012 09:00 PM
Refinished 01 RG570 - My Latest Project JRMyntz Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods 5 02-09-2012 05:30 PM
repainting RG570 project pic scottop1972 Other Ibanez Guitars (including Premiums) 17 02-17-2011 07:17 PM
RG570 project jcmix Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods 1 06-07-2010 07:47 PM
RG570 Project Ideas? jsims813 Other Ibanez Guitars (including Premiums) 8 04-02-2009 12:09 AM

Sitemap:1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
(c) jemsite.com
Powered by