<back   Jemsite > Toolbox: Setup, Repairs and Mods > Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods

Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

Old 02-28-2012, 06:39 PM

Rust-Oleum Specialty Fluorescent Spray Paint

Anybody ever used Rust-Oleum Flourescent spray paint for their guitar? I was killing time at Home Depot today at lunch and decided to check out the spray paints there because I've got a RG470 that I'd like to paint. As I was looking around I noticed they had a cool looking Fluorescent section. I was planning on doing some kind of a tiger stripe pattern and after seeing this I think I might try a flourescent pink tiger stripe job. Are these paints good for guitar bodies?

I saw a Kramer a guy had today that had a cool design just like the above.. had never seen it before. I couldn't find a pic of it.. was in a video but was similar to this without the white:

Old 04-24-2012, 08:33 PM
(a)

Re: Rust-Oleum Specialty Fluorescent Spray Paint

Did you ever try any of those paints? I also saw some Krylon Specialty Paint that looked a whole lot like LNG and florescent pink also at walmart.

I also did some test boards with anodized purple that came out pretty good. I have a couple that I cleared with Fusion waiting to cure....

GL
Old 04-25-2012, 07:22 AM

Funny you ask... I was at home depot again yesterday for the first time since I posted this and checked it out again. I still haven't done it but plan too. Just need the time. Wonder what I should use for clear?
Old 04-25-2012, 09:45 AM

I have a plan to use some of these and have already bought the paint. Right now Im still doing the sanding sealer on the guitar body. I will be posting something hopefully in the next week or so with the results.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastmerc View Post
I have a plan to use some of these and have already bought the paint. Right now Im still doing the sanding sealer on the guitar body. I will be posting something hopefully in the next week or so with the results.
Looking forward to seeing the results.
Old 04-25-2012, 05:27 PM
(a)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisf View Post
Funny you ask... I was at home depot again yesterday for the first time since I posted this and checked it out again. I still haven't done it but plan too. Just need the time. Wonder what I should use for clear?
I had good luck using Krylon Fusion clear over just about everything on test boards. Even with Humbrol Swirls and the Anodized Purple Krylon. I don't have a compressor so IDK about anything else, but the Krylon hardens up really fast and I've been able to wetsand and buff after 7 days no problem so far.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Deft makes creat lacq but it takes a long time to cure.. for me it did anyway.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:15 PM

Well the guitar is prepped and I shot the first coat of one of the flourescent colors. Im not posting pics till Im done, but things are finally progressing after I ran into some hiccups. I will start a new thread when it is ready for the world to see...lol. By the way it is a 540p body, the Satch version.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:25 PM
(a)

Cool...looking forward to seeing it
Old 05-19-2012, 07:33 PM

Ok, Im about to start the thread on my project so look for 540P SNB...
My specific experience with this florescent paint is mixed. It goes on ok enough, but both colors I used shot out these little black specs, so be prepared for it not to be completely perfect. I would say it was just the paint I got, but it was with two different colors. Maybe others will have a different experience.
Old 05-20-2012, 01:22 AM
(a)

Did you use the Rustoleum?

I just picked up a can of the flouro green Krylon today to try out...
Old 05-20-2012, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZR2009 View Post

I had good luck with the Krylon Orange flouro
Old 05-20-2012, 05:23 AM
(a)

Quote:
Anybody ever used Rust-Oleum Flourescent spray paint for their guitar? I was killing time at Home Depot today at lunch and decided to check out the spray paints there because I've got a RG470 that I'd like to paint. As I was looking around I noticed they had a cool looking Fluorescent section. I was planning on doing some kind of a tiger stripe pattern and after seeing this I think I might try a flourescent pink tiger stripe job. Are these paints good for guitar bodies?

I saw a Kramer a guy had today that had a cool design just like the above.. had never seen it before. I couldn't find a pic of it.. was in a video but was similar to this without the white:

now that I like !
Old 05-20-2012, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZR2009 View Post

I used the Rustoleum, Krylon in the other thread was a mistype....I just fixed it, sorry for the confusion.
Old 05-20-2012, 12:23 PM
(a)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUITARMAGEDDON View Post
I had good luck with the Krylon Orange flouro
Awesome that's good to hear...the cap on the Krylon Flouro Green looked so much like LNG I had to try it out

Tags
painting

Show/Hide Posting Rules