<back   Jemsite > Toolbox: Setup, Repairs and Mods > Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods

Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

Old 02-17-2011, 01:21 AM

Reviews: 1
Exclamation

Same set of strings. Except a lot more tension??

Ok.I just bought a new set of strings. Dunlop Mediums. I have been using these for a while and they are great. But something weird has happened tonight while changing the strings.

Everytime I tune up to pitch, I strum and then they all go out of tune. I have stretched the snot out of these strings and I keep having to tune them up. Which also causes my Edge pro to go from flat "_" to a "/". Not as exaggerated as the example but it is pretty far up.

I don't know what is going on. I've never had this problem. Could it be a bad set of strings? Or bad springs. I bought a new set of springs a couple months back and they weren't showing this problem then. Why now?
Old 02-17-2011, 04:51 AM
Banned

Reviews: 11

Re: Same set of strings. Except a lot more tension??

1) floating trem system may be out of adjustment

2) if your temperature changed after changing them, it could have bowed your neck (i.e. you need truss rod adjustment)

3) combination of both.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:44 AM

I just don't know how it could be either one of those linuxpenguin.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:00 AM

How could my Trem be out of adjustment when the string set is exactly the same and I never touch the trem springs? This is really frustrating me right now.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:07 AM

Reviews: 37
Smile

The new strings will have more tention.
what i do is set it up as close as possible stretch the strings good.
play the heck out of it for a few minutes then re set up. should be fine then.
sometimes they are tricky and others not so bad.

its just spring shock so give it enough time and patience and you will be fine.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:29 AM

I have never heard of the term "Spring Shock" before. Also I have never had this problem before. I have been tuning up to pitch multiple times and I have no idea when it will be fully in tune. It just keeps going out of tune. I feel like my bridge is going to pop off.

I guess I can't be sold on the fact that these strings are supposed to have "Low Tension & quick break-in time"

Also. Whenever I tune up the higher strings and get really close with the Machine heads, it makes a high pitch *ting* noise like i plucked the string behind the nut and it goes way sharp. What is that?
Old 02-17-2011, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazinAzian12 View Post
I have never heard of the term "Spring Shock" before. Also I have never had this problem before. I have been tuning up to pitch multiple times and I have no idea when it will be fully in tune. It just keeps going out of tune. I feel like my bridge is going to pop off.

I guess I can't be sold on the fact that these strings are supposed to have "Low Tension & quick break-in time"

Also. Whenever I tune up the higher strings and get really close with the Machine heads, it makes a high pitch *ting* noise like i plucked the string behind the nut and it goes way sharp. What is that?
It sounds like what happens when you install a set of unstretched strings and stretch them out with the tuners. Eventually they will stay in tune, but this isn't the best way, obviously. If you have used this brand before, and stretched them properly, then I'd say this set is defective or Dunlop changed them somehow. I'd try another set and if they behaved the same way, switch brands.

The "ping" noise is just some tiny part of the system (strings, bridge, nut, tuner) giving way to the increasing tension and settling into place. Again, it sounds like what happens if you put a brand-new unstretched string on and just start cranking the tuner.

Peace

Mike
Old 02-17-2011, 12:03 PM

Strings must be thoroughly stretched, especially the wrapped ones. I usually stretch 'em my pulling and bending, retuning play about a day without the nut locked and the next day bvasically do the same with lesse extreme to the pulling. After that they should be stretched and should stay in tune...

Regards,
Nelson
Old 02-17-2011, 12:07 PM

Quote:

GO TO IBANEZ RULES BANNER AT THE TOP. Read the tech\setup and you will understand. Rich saved my life on floating trems.
Old 02-17-2011, 12:17 PM

Reviews: 120

All the Dunlop strings I've played have had impressive stretch-in times. You may have been unlucky with one (this) set though. What technique are you using to stretch strings?
Old 02-17-2011, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
All the Dunlop strings I've played have had impressive stretch-in times. You may have been unlucky with one (this) set though. What technique are you using to stretch strings?
I do what Rich says on his website. Well mostly. I will string the guitar up to pitch. Then stretch the strings by hand. Retune and repeat a few times. Then I will lock the pads and then go crazy with the whammy bar for a bit. Then unlock and retune. I repeat until there is little to no detune when i go crazy.

This time I can barely get the strings to all stay in tune after i do this. And The bridge is being pulled way up by them. I don't know how guitar center is with returning already used strings. I know they replaced my set of DR's when the high E broke off right when I strung it. But this situation is different.
Old 02-17-2011, 02:27 PM

Here is how my bridge looks with the new set of strings fully tuned and locked up. They still wont stay in tune though. I have even let them sit over night and still having this problem.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0240.jpg (29.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-17-2011, 02:29 PM

Smile

Its just spring shock i promise let it chill for a day.
springs have a memory and when you put new strings on and keep ****ing with it it is confused.
give it a day to communicate.
Old 02-17-2011, 02:39 PM

Ok. I'll give it another day to sit.
Old 02-17-2011, 04:26 PM
Banned

Reviews: 11

Quote:
I do what Rich says on his website. Well mostly. I will string the guitar up to pitch. Then stretch the strings by hand. Retune and repeat a few times. Then I will lock the pads and then go crazy with the whammy bar for a bit. Then unlock and retune. I repeat until there is little to no detune when i go crazy.

This time I can barely get the strings to all stay in tune after i do this. And The bridge is being pulled way up by them. I don't know how guitar center is with returning already used strings. I know they replaced my set of DR's when the high E broke off right when I strung it. But this situation is different.
quit being stubborn and adjust your tremolo.

The tension may not be the exactly the same. You may have a defective set, or you got 9-46 instead of 9-42 on accident (ive done that...)

Last edited by linuxpenguin; 02-17-2011 at 04:40 PM.

Tags
set, strings, tension

Show/Hide Posting Rules