<back   Jemsite > Toolbox: Setup, Repairs and Mods > Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods

Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

Old 11-28-2010, 12:16 PM

Setup Problems (Intonation etc.)

Wasn't sure where to post this but I'm having problems with my Ibanez Gio.I bought this guitar for 180 euros as a messing around instrument having sold my previous Washburns and Jacksons.

In the store and when I brought it home for the first week it played and sounded like a dream...BUT when I got around to putting on some fresh strings are tuning it (standard e) it just sounds and plays horribly.The action feels stiff and like it's straining away from the fretboard and all the notes sound horrible and harsh and hissy.The harmonics sound out of tune even thought my tuner tells me the strings are all in tune at 434 Hz...

I'm not a guitar expert but I suspect adjusting the bridge and truss rod might be the case...is this really basic? Am I missing a basic part of restringing a guitar?

Thanks for any tips!
Old 11-28-2010, 04:06 PM
Banned

Re: Setup Problems (Intonation etc.)

you must of done something
no reason for a guitar to change just because you changed the strings
except it should sound better.
Old 11-28-2010, 05:02 PM

Reviews: 120

Umm isnt standard tuning 440hz, not 434? That might be your problem, incorrectly set tuner.
Old 11-28-2010, 09:55 PM

No well, I think each string is supposed to be adjusted slightly differently....but tis hard to find a simple 101...maybe a lot of guitarists think you just swap out the strings and everything sounds the same with new ones, but it's not the case...

Is 4440 HZ standard? I tried using a lower frequency just to tak ethe harh tone down a notch or two.
Old 11-28-2010, 10:15 PM

Reviews: 120

440hz is standard concert pitch. You want to be tuning at 440 for your standard E tuning, otherwise yes your intonation will be out.

Just double checking, did you use the same string gauge when restringing as the guitar came with?
Old 11-28-2010, 10:30 PM

A video on youtube about adjusting the bridge has helped me a lot...I didn't really know about this method....as a casual guitar player there's heaps that passes me by :-)

And yes I think the strings are the same...D'Dario 9's.I think I'll go for 10's next time though.(9's are too reedy sounding).
Old 11-28-2010, 10:36 PM

Have to say tho, for a cheap guitar it sang better than my Jacksons and my Washburns ever did.Until I messed it all up :-)
Old 11-29-2010, 02:36 AM

Thanks for th intonation tag too Lone ;-) I should have checked that first but the Gio bridge is a little different from a regular strings through or a FR...
Old 11-29-2010, 09:53 AM

Reviews: 15

This may be a stupid question, but did you buy the same gauge strings? If not, you have to set up your guitar for the new strings. Neck adjustment, intonation, etc.
Old 11-30-2010, 12:21 AM

Thats not a stupid question at all! I think the D'Darios it shipped with were tens and since I put in D'Dario 9's the whole guitar has to be re-set up...I've got it sounding good again by taking off the strings adjusting the truss rod and re stringing it from scratch...been working on the intonation too: it's amazing what a difference the intonation makes and yet it's not on the radar of the casual player....
Old 11-30-2010, 12:26 AM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by lespauled View Post
This may be a stupid question, but did you buy the same gauge strings? If not, you have to set up your guitar for the new strings. Neck adjustment, intonation, etc.
Not true! Adjustments are required if the change in gauge is extreme like from .009s to .011s, etc. plus different tunings coupled with different gauge strings will call for truss rod adjustment.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:01 AM

Reviews: 1

I think something needs to be cleared up.....

1. Standard tuning refers to the guitar being tuned to EADGBE.
2. 440Hz refers to the A note being tuned to this frequency and all other notes are relative to it.

A440Hz is the standard tuning pitch probably used by 95% of guitar players. There are other tunings, of course.

Make sure that your tuner is set to 440Hz. The tuner will take care of the notes EDGBE automatically as it will use the A440Hz as a baseline/reference.

The other notes (EDGBE) will all have different frequencies to A and to each other. That's what gives them their pitch relative to A.

Here's a link:
http://www.theorylessons.com/basics005tuning.php

And as a correction, it's not standard E. It's just standard tuning. In fact, it's based around the middle C from the piano, as the piano has been around a lot longer than the guitar. However, the A note (middle) on the piano is still 440Hz and the piano is/was **usually** tuned from the A note first, using a tuning fork. Today, electronic tuners will most likely be used.

Correct me if I'm wrong.....

B.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:08 AM

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaBat View Post
Not true! Adjustments are required if the change in gauge is extreme like from .009s to .011s, etc. plus different tunings coupled with different gauge strings will call for truss rod adjustment.
I don't entirely agree with you..... with a change in gauge from .009 to .010's, you need to set your intonation as a minimum setup. I agree that with a heavier gauge change you need to look at truss rod. etc.

I've changed from .009's to .010's and the intonation has been out. Neck bow was negligible. Then again, I guess it depends on the neck material, neck thickness and neck construction (single material or laminate).

B.
Old 11-30-2010, 10:39 AM

When changing string gauges it's the trem claw that needs adjusting more so than the truss rod. Moving to a lower gauge string set will result in less pull-up on the trem and therefore the claw needs to be loosened or springs removed/replaced. Moving to a higher gauge string set will result in more pull-up and therefore the claw needs to be tighted or springs added/moved to different spots on the claw.

Tags
intonation

Show/Hide Posting Rules