Originally Posted by Longhair
Originally Posted by power freak
Originally Posted by macsen
I didn't drill them when I installed them, but that was really just laziness on my part. I would suggest tracking down a copy of the Guitar Player Repair Guide by Dan Erlewine. He has a small section in it devoted to installing a TremSetter, in which are contained some useful tips.
If needed I could type that up for anyone
It also has aa pros and cons list in their as well.
If you don't mind
I am thinking of installing the Trem-Setter on my Ibanez's also.
Thanks in advance
"Heres the Pros + Cons:
1) Improves guitar's tone by controlling flutter. It stops the tremolo from absorbing or wasting the strings energy as it passes through the body.
2) Helps tremolo to return to zero point in tune. This doesn't work however if the guitar has a poorly made nut inadquate tuners. Locknig tuners and a wilkinson roller nut work well with the TS.
3) Keeps remaining strings in tune when you bend a string. when you bend a string the trem sags which lowers pitch. the TS keeps this to a minimum.
4) Makes string bending easier. Since the bridge isn't sagging toward the fingerboard. You don't have to bend quite so far to bend a note. Players who dislike trem guitars may have a change of heart when they try a TS equipt guitar.
5)If you leave you hand on the bridge foe palm mutes the TS can be set up to compenste for this factor.
6) Helps make up for worn knife edges.
It won't keep your guitar in tune if you break a string though.
IHow much does the tremsetter change the feel of the guitar? not much at all when the bridge is dumped and not at all on a pull up!! But rarther than springs stretching when you dump they compress. You need to use 3 springs or more with the TS because it has to rest in the centre slot of the trem. So peole playing with 008s could'nt benifit from the TS. Also all the springs have to be the same tension, other wise the TS won't return to concert pitch when you dive bomb.
Sometimes when a strat plus
' wang bar is pressed you can hear drag? This is not normal, but sonetimes happens over time. If too much grease is put on the brass pull rod, it actually vacuums areound the stop collar as it moves causing a suction effect. To stop it happening dis-assemble the TS and clean off any grease. lightly lube with WD-40. but be carefl not to lose any washers!
How tight can the nylon threads be tightened or loosened? Alot! although you would never want to see more than 5/16" of the exposed thread on the brass tube.
If you use one on a vintage strat
it needs to be set up perfectly to work properly!
The installation tips are really long so get the book to read those (or borrow it!) Its really in depth and tells you the exact size screwdrives/drilss e.t.c to use.
Also he states that the TS only works 98% of the time. the other 2% is a sliht out of tune effect and is cured by a shake of the bar!"
Taht is on;ly about 30% of whats im the book It is about a 2-3 page feature containing set up tips, all the points I included in more depth and more!
What I think (not in the book
For all of the Vai addicts (me included) the TS kills flutter which is meant to be a good thing but Satch and Vai use the flutter! so it may not be a good idea.
Also I have heard it feels different than a regular trem.