<back   Jemsite > Toolbox: Setup, Repairs and Mods > Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods

Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

Old 02-09-2004, 10:48 PM

simple question about the hipshot tremsetter

Hey, I'm not sure how many of you guys use this thing, but I'm thinking about putting it on a couple of my ibanez guitars. But I notice on ***************.com it's a Fender product -- "FenderŪ Accs. Hipshot Tremsetter Kit "...

this doens't mean it's exclusively for fenders, does it? Can it still fit ibanez's or is there another hipshot tremsetter for non-fenders?

I know that's pretty silly, but I just want to make sure...
also, those of you that have it, what do you think?

-Jeff.
Old 02-11-2004, 03:04 AM

the Tremsetter fits pretty much all super-Strat kind of guitars with a Fender or Floyd style trem sytem.
Old 02-11-2004, 11:10 AM

1) Unless Hipshot was bought by Fender recently, the Tremsetter is not a Fender product. Fender does sell them on their web site, since it is a popular mod for strats. Also, at one point in time Tremsetters were installed as a standard feature in American Standard Deluxe Stratocasters.

2) You can install a TremSetter in pretty much any guitar with a floating trem.

3) You can buy a Tremsetter at places other than Fender. Try this one.
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges,...tabilizer.html
Old 02-11-2004, 09:15 PM

Ok, thanks. That looks exactly like that's supposedly a "fender" product so I think theyr'e just the same thing...

now one more questions...for those of you that have installed it...when installing the hinge clip on the floor of the trem cavity, do you have to drill the holes for those two little screws or do they just screw right into the wood with a little pressure?? if you drill, what size drill bit?

any help would be great, thanks!
-Jeff.
Old 02-12-2004, 02:58 AM

you better drill them. the drill bit size should match the screw's core size (no threads).
Old 02-16-2004, 02:09 AM

I didn't drill them when I installed them, but that was really just laziness on my part. I would suggest tracking down a copy of the Guitar Player Repair Guide by Dan Erlewine. He has a small section in it devoted to installing a TremSetter, in which are contained some useful tips.
Old 02-16-2004, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macsen
I didn't drill them when I installed them, but that was really just laziness on my part. I would suggest tracking down a copy of the Guitar Player Repair Guide by Dan Erlewine. He has a small section in it devoted to installing a TremSetter, in which are contained some useful tips.
If needed I could type that up for anyone It also has aa pros and cons list in their as well.

Freak
Old 02-16-2004, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by power freak
Quote:
If needed I could type that up for anyone It also has aa pros and cons list in their as well.

Freak
If you don't mind

I am thinking of installing the Trem-Setter on my Ibanez's also.

Thanks in advance
Old 02-20-2004, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhair
Quote:
Quote:

Freak
If you don't mind

I am thinking of installing the Trem-Setter on my Ibanez's also.

Thanks in advance
"Heres the Pros + Cons:
1) Improves guitar's tone by controlling flutter. It stops the tremolo from absorbing or wasting the strings energy as it passes through the body.
2) Helps tremolo to return to zero point in tune. This doesn't work however if the guitar has a poorly made nut inadquate tuners. Locknig tuners and a wilkinson roller nut work well with the TS.
3) Keeps remaining strings in tune when you bend a string. when you bend a string the trem sags which lowers pitch. the TS keeps this to a minimum.
4) Makes string bending easier. Since the bridge isn't sagging toward the fingerboard. You don't have to bend quite so far to bend a note. Players who dislike trem guitars may have a change of heart when they try a TS equipt guitar.
5)If you leave you hand on the bridge foe palm mutes the TS can be set up to compenste for this factor.
6) Helps make up for worn knife edges.

It won't keep your guitar in tune if you break a string though.

IHow much does the tremsetter change the feel of the guitar? not much at all when the bridge is dumped and not at all on a pull up!! But rarther than springs stretching when you dump they compress. You need to use 3 springs or more with the TS because it has to rest in the centre slot of the trem. So peole playing with 008s could'nt benifit from the TS. Also all the springs have to be the same tension, other wise the TS won't return to concert pitch when you dive bomb.

Sometimes when a strat plus' wang bar is pressed you can hear drag? This is not normal, but sonetimes happens over time. If too much grease is put on the brass pull rod, it actually vacuums areound the stop collar as it moves causing a suction effect. To stop it happening dis-assemble the TS and clean off any grease. lightly lube with WD-40. but be carefl not to lose any washers!

How tight can the nylon threads be tightened or loosened? Alot! although you would never want to see more than 5/16" of the exposed thread on the brass tube.

If you use one on a vintage strat it needs to be set up perfectly to work properly!

The installation tips are really long so get the book to read those (or borrow it!) Its really in depth and tells you the exact size screwdrives/drilss e.t.c to use.

Also he states that the TS only works 98% of the time. the other 2% is a sliht out of tune effect and is cured by a shake of the bar!"
Taht is on;ly about 30% of whats im the book It is about a 2-3 page feature containing set up tips, all the points I included in more depth and more!

What I think (not in the book ):
For all of the Vai addicts (me included) the TS kills flutter which is meant to be a good thing but Satch and Vai use the flutter! so it may not be a good idea.

Also I have heard it feels different than a regular trem.
Old 02-20-2004, 01:50 PM

Holy **** power freak

I think you have found the solution to my problem...

Quote:
...You need to use 3 springs or more with the TS because it has to rest in the centre slot of the trem. So peole playing with 008s could'nt benifit from the TS. Also all the springs have to be the same tension, other wise the TS won't return to concert pitch when you dive bomb...
Now since my pre trem-setter spring config was like this x.x.x (x=spring .=space), how would I have the springs now?

xxt.x or x.txx (t=tremsetter)

Thanks a lot
Old 02-21-2004, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Holy stuff power freak

Quote:
...You need to use 3 springs or more with the TS because it has to rest in the centre slot of the trem. So peole playing with 008s could'nt benifit from the TS. Also all the springs have to be the same tension, other wise the TS won't return to concert pitch when you dive bomb...
Now since my pre trem-setter spring config was like this x.x.x (x=spring .=space), how would I have the springs now?

Thanks a lot
The tremsetter replaces the center spring

So either:
x.T.x or .xTx.

Old 02-21-2004, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Holy stuff power freak

Quote:

Thanks a lot
The tremsetter replaces the center spring

So either:
x.T.x or .xTx.

I have it x.T.x and when I use the trem it returns it to a different pitch.

Lowering the trem makes the pitch return high.
Raising the trem makes the pitch return low.

Now when it is out because I went low/high - the only way to correct it is to do the opposite high/low.

In your post, you said that 3 springs are needed so this will not happen. I was wondering in which order the strings should go with the trem-setter.
Old 02-21-2004, 12:47 PM

How tight have you got the TS??? Maybe you have put too much tension on it???

It doesn't say anything about that in the book

I don't know whats wrong with yours.

You could try another spring (but I don't know how you would but it on because it says both sides must be balanced). Have you got the same springs on your guitar??? (same tension)

If you have checked all that I don't know whats wrong

Tags
dan erlewine, deluxe strat, hipshot tremsetter, ibanez guitars, palm mute, strat plus, trem guitar, vintage strat

Show/Hide Posting Rules