Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Stringing up a nylon.

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  fettouhi 
#1 ·
Hey guys,
I'm a long time electric player, but I just bought a nylon string acoustic. How do I go about stringing this? I remember one of my friends restrung theirs too tight and the bridge came off! I don't want the same to happen. Can you help me out?

Cheers
Joe

#4 ·
you almost tie the string to the block.... put the string thru the block then wrap it under itself so the tension from the string holds it but keeping the string flat on the block... the "knot" will be at the far end of the block/bridge. pull to snug, then wrap the machine w/ a knot and several wraps (to avoid slippage).

you might want to google pics to see it more clearly... glen

#6 ·
Yup. Glen is correct.

I little secret I use is to take a cigarette lighter and burn a little ball on the nylon string end- it helps hold the "tying" at the bridge and stops it from slipping.
On the slothead I run the string through the hole and pull it back towards the body, then twist both legnths together-twisting them, now pull it up towards the top of the headstock and start tightening the tuner. It will lock itself in with this method.

A little tricky at first, but easy to master once you get the hang of it.

-Jemaholic

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.