<back   Jemsite > Toolbox: Setup, Repairs and Mods > Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods

Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

Old 02-14-2013, 07:58 AM

Lightbulb

Swirler recommendations

Hi Jemsiters! It's been a while...

So, I know I'm probably still known round here as "that Brit guy that set fire to a Jem", but I have a new Jem project on the go - I'm building a clone, and I want the body swirled, and I'm coming to the fount of knowledge that is the JS forum for recommendations.

Here's a tumblr I set up to keep track of the project if you're interested: http://projectjem.tumblr.com

Short version: I'm getting a body and neck from Nate Perle, and I want the body swirled in black and white only - who do I go to?

Herc Fede? Nope, he quit.

OOTS? Nope, they quit.

Darren J? His site still appears to be closed.

B&A Guitars in Israel? Nope, I emailed them and Avi says they're shut at the moment.

Perle himself? Maybe... though when he had some B&W swirl photos on his site a little while back, they didn't inspire confidence. They were more black/cream or black/off-white, and that's no good to me. (Apologies if you're reading this, Nate... it's possible I just saw a one off swirl that was meant to be black/cream...)

Still, he's the most convenient answer, so I may just go with him - but I wanted to ask here in case I'm missing out any obvious other players or new guys that might be just who I'm after.

My ideal swirl is this: http://www.bnaguitars.com/bnw04.html

Can you help me, Jemsite?

Hope you're well, love to the family, etc.
--Clive. ;-)
Old 02-14-2013, 09:10 AM

Re: Swirler recommendations

If you like that style swirl, Nate can do it.
If you want something cooler try Livewire Guitars!
They have some really cool swirls and they do fretboard replacements too.
I live near them in Florida so I've had a chance to see many of their swirls in person.
The clear coats are as good as or better than factory clears.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:22 AM

+1 livewire. His prices are great and he is awesome communication wise. My guitar should be shipped out early next week or by the end of this week. Super excited.

Old 02-14-2013, 08:05 PM

Reviews: 64

Send a pm to Andrew.
He's swirls are awesome and he's a very cool guy with a freakin' big heart.
Plus he's an active member here, you can know him better and see with your own eyes how good his work is.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...2257432&type=1

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f21/po...bs-125731.html

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f19/bu...ad-125122.html
Old 02-15-2013, 05:11 AM

Rock, thanks for the recommendations guys.

First one was for Michael, so I'll contact him first. He doesn't list white as an available colour on his site, so we can talk about that. If he doesn't want to go for black & white, then I'll tap up Andrew next.

I have to say... If only Herc was still trading. I found this, and it's just BEAUTIFUL:
http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f18/ng...0p-124837.html

Wowzers.

Anyway, thanks again and I'll let you know who I go with and how it turns out!

Cheers,
--Clive.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:49 AM

He will do white, its just not listed is all. Let him know we sent you!
Old 02-15-2013, 02:07 PM
(a)

Area 51 in the UK do absolutely spot on bodies and I did remember Al from OOTS saying he may do the odd swirl for Zak at Area 51 so its worth asking .
I've had a couple of swirls from Pearle and to be honest the swirls were terrible and the bodies were way out . I had to get Jaden to sort one body out when he used to do that sort of stuff and he wasn't impressed either.
I can understand you wanting one of Avi's swirls.

Al
Old 02-15-2013, 03:57 PM
(a)
Vendor
Vendor

I am now doing the "In House" clearing and custom paint for Perle - he does an amazing job on the swirls. The white is definitely a true white - so it must have been a bad photo. Swirl pattern and style obviously all vary - so you will just need to look at the samples out there and go with who seems to be most consistent with what you like. No 2 are ever the same.

--Rodney
Old 02-15-2013, 10:55 PM

I can personally vouch for both Andrew an Michael at LiveWire. Both are great guys, both do awesome swirls.

And I'm sure either would do a black @ white swirl for you.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:51 PM

give Ernie a try at www.etguitars.com
Old 02-16-2013, 08:27 AM
(a)

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthman View Post
I have to say... If only Herc was still trading. I found this, and it's just BEAUTIFUL:
http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f18/ng...0p-124837.html

Wowzers.
Since that's my guitar, thanks!

From what I've seen, I'd personally recommend Michael at Livewire. He could probably make something like my Herc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoot View Post
Area 51 in the UK do absolutely spot on bodies
I'd definitely go here for a body, since you're already in the UK. There or ET Guitars. I've spoken with people who have seen both Perle and ET bodies and necks and they said the ET ones were noticeably better and as good as factory parts. Herc also said that ET bodies were the best he ever worked with.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:02 AM
(a)
Vendor
Vendor

Not true about ET being better than Perle...ET does offer more neck styles - however I had 2 necks from ET and the frets were not finished on the edge. Very sharp. I have personally worked on necks at Perle from leveling to crowning to buffing - no sharp edges on those! As for wood - top quality in whatever you order.

Everything else on the ET necks were great - so don't think I'm knocking him...just the final steps of fret work seemed to have been overlooked. And I waited about 8 months before I finally received them - so this shouldn't have been the case. And his process may have changed by now - just as Perle is always evolving too.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:00 AM

Yeah ET does have a huge wait at the moment. Ive only heard good things about him though.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:03 AM

Swirled.de
Old 02-16-2013, 11:34 AM

ET does make excellent necks (I have 1 and another on the way) but the fret finishing comment is absolutely accurate. My neck, while beautiful, did not have the frets finished either, so it seems this may just be the way he does things? My fret ends were so sharp my wife cut her hand while admiring the neck - not cool. Because I went with SS frets on my neck, which are considerably harder (and I have no experience finishing), and I didn't want to risk screwing up an expensive neck build, I am having another luthier finish the fret work along with assembling the project.

And yes, expect to wait at least 6-8 months for anything from Ernie. He's a busy guy and in Australia so it just takes a long time to get stuff from him. But his materials and overall craftsmanship are top notch.

But since this thread was about SWIRLS and not necks let me get back on track. Michael at LiveWire has relationships with some top-notch luthiers. He can get you anything you need as well as do the paint work. For my project I let him handle everything and the custom body came out stunning - I went with a 1-pc solid mahogany Jem rear routed with no middle single coil - it came out amazing and absolutely dead-on spec. My swirl is stunning (if you friend him on FB his profile pic is my swirl) and as someone else said his clears are as good or better than factory. He is currently constructing the neck for my project and I hope to have some dry-fit pics soon! But I digress - Michael can get you the body made to your specs & it will be stellar. You really can 1-stop shop with him.

Tags
custom, jem, swirl

Show/Hide Posting Rules