<back   Jemsite > Toolbox: Setup, Repairs and Mods > Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods

Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

Old 12-28-2012, 12:42 PM

swirling tips

Hello fellow guitarists! I am new to this whole swirling thing but am fascinated by It and want to master it. I have been just messing around a bit doing testing dips and the problem I'm having is when I drop some paint in it stays in a glob on the top of the water and dissperses slowly in a thin light layer and very slowly gets darker but with the glob still in it. Now assuming my water temp and borax amount is correct is this just a brand of paint problem? I'm using americana gloss oil based enamel paints (cheap stuff). Any input will be appreciated.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:01 PM
(a)

Re: swirling tips

I've never heard of those paints... but I know that with the Humbrol paints I used some needed to be thinned out a bit.

The globs sound more like old paint than anything else or maybe paint that's not mixed and shaken enough. If it's spreading out but still has globs then the globs are probably dried bits of glob...I like saying globs
Old 12-31-2012, 03:20 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Use better paints.
Sounds like a thinning issue. Try the above mentioned brand.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:11 PM

Americana Gloss Enamels

Decorate ordinary glass items, flea market finds and more for your home. Use Americana Gloss Enamels for all of your projects.

Our versatile new gloss paint is perfect for painting glassware, wood items as well as a variety of other surfaces.
Embellish or personalize glass, ceramic and wood ornaments for holiday gift giving.
Painted glassware may be baked for increased durability.
Goes equally well on porous surfaces-no sealer required.
Colors match our regular Americana Acrylics with the same name.

The "no sealer required" tells me this paint is thick or has something that makes it glob in your water.

The thread below actually includes the same brand, and almost the exact same problem you described. No one gave any recommendations that resulted in a perfect swirl, and Will posted millions of swirls lol.

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f21/fi...ns-101496.html

My guess is that you need to add something to the paint to make it not glob too much on the water.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:03 PM

Yea figured it was just the type of paint or that it was just to thick. Those were all really helpful thank u. Is there a specific type of paint thinner I should use or will any do? And where do u get these humbrol paints I keep hearing about? I heard they were only over seas..
Old 01-03-2013, 01:54 PM
(a)

I've only used Naptha to thin with. I ordered the Humbrol paints I used from this place. They are quick to ship and you can actually see if the paint is in stock before you pay for it... Do some experimenting on anything even cardboard to get the consistency right before you dip the guitar. If you don't like how it comes out just apply some of the naptha to a shop towel and wipe the swirl off... no sanding and you can dunk it again within minutes instead of hours of sanding and repriming

http://www.hornbyamerica.com/shop/humbrol
Old 01-03-2013, 02:59 PM

Thanx swirltop I will pick up some naptha, which kind of humbrols did u have to thin? I'm getting gloss. Also it says they come in 14ml cans?! That's only 3 tablespoons full, how much of it did u order to do a full guitar body dip? Is there a bigger quantity to choose from I couldn't find it.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:15 PM
(a)

You know, swirlnoob, soon you will be a pro, and you'll have to change your username
Old 01-03-2013, 03:48 PM

Haha that's what I'm hoping for Imma have to think of something legit like king swirl meister... or not Idk. Haha
Old 01-03-2013, 04:10 PM
(a)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swirlnoob View Post
Thanx swirltop I will pick up some naptha, which kind of humbrols did u have to thin? I'm getting gloss. Also it says they come in 14ml cans?! That's only 3 tablespoons full, how much of it did u order to do a full guitar body dip? Is there a bigger quantity to choose from I couldn't find it.
Order the colors you want and you'll probably have enough to do 4-5 guitars. So you'll have plenty of paint to experiment on.

Here's some info I came up with for you based on my experiences; hope it helps:

I have a 36 gallon rubbermaid storage tote with reenforced sides to prevent a blowout. I found one that was 20.5" deep, perfect...being much wider than a garbage pail helps make sure you don't run out of paint (If you put enough in...lol). I used 3.5 cups of Borox so slightly more than 1 cup of borax in every 10 galllons (filled with 30-32 gallons of water).

Water temp between 80-70 F works the best.

Mix the Borax up in hot water a little at a time to dissolve it better and add it to the tub as you're filling it.

I put a screw in the bottom guitar strap button hole so I can hit bottom without ruining the swirl. Helps when dunking alone because you can anchor the guitar to the bottom while wiping excess paint off the surface.

I plug all holes, routes, or otherwise bare wood with wax. I've heard that letting water get into those areas can warp the wood...I've always done this so I don't know if it does or not.

I spray a couple lightly misted coats of clear on the white primer. For me the paints stick better to the orange peel of the clear than to paint that's been sanded. The paints run less.

Clean the guitar with alcohol right before dunking, make sure it's dry before dipping...

I've only tried Humbrol paints, but so far with those I had to thin them out around 20-30% with naptha for the best results...white I've had to do around 40% to keep it from just dropping to the bottom.

Pour the paint in as close to the water as you can. It helps it disperse more even and some paint will just drop to the bottom if you launch it from above

I use a CLEAN 14" size plastic zip tie to swirl the paints. The paint doesn't seem to stick as much as it will to the same size piece of wood.

I've got the best results pouring black first, waiting for it to disperse, and then adding other colors on top of that usually in order from darker colors to light.

Keep the guitar moving downward at all times until it's submerged all the way.

Make sure you blow or wipe the excess paint on top to make a hole for the guitar to come back out!

I use a shop vac set on blow to dry off the excess water. This keeps the fish eyes away and won't blow the paint off like a compressor can...

After it's blow dried off I clamp it to the table face up to help prevent paint running.

Ohhh yeah....One of the most important lessons learned....If I don't like how it came out I wipe it off with a shop towel dipped in naptha...the sooner the better! It comes off really easy the first few hours so you can just keep experimenting on a real guitar without sanding/priming all over again!!!!!

I'm sure I missed a lot, but there are a few tips that work for me so far anyway, some I spent a lot of time and paint learning
Old 01-03-2013, 04:29 PM

Does anyone know where u can buy large quantitys of humbrol paint?? Humbrol's websites largest quantity is only 50ml and I'm mot sure if that's metric or not since theyre overseas, amazon sells 0.6 ounce cans and hornaby's sells only 14ml tinlets.. these are all tiny amounts.. please let me know if anyone knows of better websites or if I am stuck buying a bunch of little ones. Or if there's a different kind of paint that works just as good. As always ur help is greatly appreciated.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:40 PM

I just saw ur post swirltop right after I posted my last one. Those r a lot of great tips I thank u u sound like you've got this down pretty well can u post any pics of ur finished products for me to see? And again cuz this is blowing my mind, those 14ml tins of humbrol are more than enough? Do u know roughly how much It took per guitar? Thanks again and I would really enjoy looking at some pics if u got em
Old 01-03-2013, 08:36 PM
(a)

If you bought 4 colors of those 14ml Humbrols, you'd have enough to swirl at least 4 guitars; a very little bit goes a very long way...

Here's the last one I did

Old 01-03-2013, 08:38 PM

Honestly if you want really good results, dont waste time trying to do it yourself and get a pro to do it.

I spent hours and hours (as well as loads of money lol) trying to get a swirl I was happy with but could not do it. Instead I stayed at work a few hours extra and made enough to hire a pro. No regrets.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:11 PM

OMG that's an amazing looking swirl job! I give u mad props man. Thanks for all the help I'm ordering those paints tonight and I'll post back in a bit. PEACE!!

Tags
borax water temp problems, paints used

Show/Hide Posting Rules