Is there a remedy for my Pro Rock'r instability? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-30-2007, 11:39 PM Thread Starter

Post Is there a remedy for my Pro Rock'r instability?

I have a Pro Line 1660 with a Pro Rock'r trem and after I bend a string and release it the string does not return to pitch. It takes a quick karate-chop to the trem arm to get the string to return to pitch.

I have the trem set to float, set up with .009s (D'addario EXL120), and 3 spring in the back. I tried using Rich's procedure regarding fine tuning and lock-down, but it did not alleviate my tuning issues.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-31-2007, 12:33 AM

Re: Is there a remedy for my Pro Rock'r instability?

The Pro Rock'r trem was unfortunately never great (Ibanez were basically trying to avoid paying Floyd Rose royalties at the time) - about the only thing you might try is to lubricate the knife edge with a bit of chap stick - if you have followed all of Rich's tips and that doesn't help, well, maybe you should look into ditching the existing trem and sourcing an Edge - no idea how complicated it would be to retrofit, but probably not easy.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-31-2007, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

I'll try lubricating the knife edges. This is quite frustrating because the trem returns to pitch reasonably well after dives and pull ups. Would some kind of trem-setting device, such as and ESP arming adjuster or Hipshot Trem-setter, help?

I've noticed that this problem seems to affect the g-string (ha ha) pretty much exclusively, why is this? The G-string returns to pitch adequately after dives and pull-ups.

Last edited by Zerimas; 07-31-2007 at 02:36 PM. Reason: Added more info.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-31-2007, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

I've noticed that whenever I bend the G-string it moves the trem forward the least when compared to the other strings. Would changing the spring formation so that there is less/more tension around the string fix the problem? My hypothesis is based on the fact that the G disturbs the trem's resting position the least and it has the worst return to pitch from bends. Is there a connection?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-31-2007, 04:41 PM

I have my springs set up like this;

Claw
/|\
Block

That seems to be a pretty well balanced combination. Also, are your trem springs worn out? That could be the problem.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-31-2007, 10:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salamander In The Sun View Post
I have my springs set up like this;

Claw
/|\
Block

That seems to be a pretty well balanced combination. Also, are your trem springs worn out? That could be the problem.
That's how I had my trem setup. I removed the middle spring to test my hypothesis; it seems to have made no difference.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 03:06 PM

Anyone want to revisit this topic with me? Exact same situation on an 85 DT-350. G-string returns horribly out of pitch with pro rock'r tremolo.
Thanks in advance.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 10:41 PM

^^ I assume you've got everything locked down at the headstock etc. If so, I'd guess it's probably friction at the nut. Try running some pencil lead in the slot for a coating of graphite, that should help a bit. If it's still bad, maybe enlarging the nut slot a little.

The other problem is, of course, the pivot points. The trem is impregnated with round pins that pivot on concave studs, creating a larger friction area than a conventional knife edge trem. Lubing it with Chapstick or something might help a bit (as mentioned above), but the trem design is simply unforgiving.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-01-2012, 07:30 AM

I have this bridge on a 1985 DT-380 Destroyer (safari red, wheee~) and the bridge doesn't seem to return to neutral. The non-recessed routing allows only a few millimeters of upwards movement when pulling the trem arm, but it's enough to make the strings return sharp, and pushing down makes them return flat. A slight tap on the arm returns them to neutral, so I guess the posts and knife edges are to blame. I'll have to try adding another spring first since I don't have any decent lubricant at hand at the moment.

I also removed the bridge to check the post anchors, and the other one had surfaced from it's hole, breaking the finish and tearing a few splinters of wood. I hammered it back in, but I guess I should've put some glue in it. Nevertheless it didn't wiggle around in it's hole so I guess it's not an issue unless it starts to surface again.

The posts themselves did wiggle a bit, but I fixed this with plumber's tape.

UPDATE: in the absence of lip balm I put some sewing machine oil to the studs and knife edges. Didn't work.

Last edited by Norjen; 09-01-2012 at 11:34 AM. Reason: Info update

Tags
addario exl , esp arming adjuster , floyd rose , trem arm , trem springs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Similar Searches

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode