<back   Jemsite > Toolbox: Setup, Repairs and Mods > Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods

Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

Old 05-08-2011, 12:17 PM

Tone pot acting like a volume pot...

sup guys another issue

i just ended up changing my pickup last night and once everything was installed, my tone pot is now another volume pot(so now it's 2 volume controls).this was like this when i first received the guitar(brand new stock) and i ended up rewiring everything following a schematic on the ibanez website and the tone control started to act normal until last night.

so i am unsure what i did wrong because I didn't change any wire configuration and followed the same schematic i used to fix my previous problem.

this is the schematic i followed http://www.ibanez.com/supportResourc...ng/RGT3020.gif

i own a RG3620ZHBK

all in all i have been thinking about removing the tone control period because i never use it while playing, i only use it for tuning purposes.

so how do i go about removing the tone config, i just unsolder the wire connecting from the tone pot to the volume pot near the capacitor?

THANKS!

Last edited by RGFREAK; 05-08-2011 at 12:38 PM.
Old 05-08-2011, 06:08 PM

Reviews: 120

Re: Tone pot acting like a volume pot...

Yep just resoldered it, should all be good. Done this myself on one guitar.
Old 05-08-2011, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
Yep just resoldered it, should all be good. Done this myself on one guitar.
good to hear.

i manage to trouble shoot the problem my self and did a little research on other sites, so i'll share my findings

when this happens it due to a grounding issue with the pot or the capacitor.

so what i did was desolder (solder sucker and wick) all the surfaces that was going to be soldered.after that i glently and lightly went over the cleared area with a q-tip dipped in basic rubbing alcohol.wiped the surface clean from oils and flux, let dry and proceeded to then solder everything back together.

that resolved my issue, it was a just dirty surface with to much solder in the way, luckily it wasn't a capacitor issue

gl to all who will have the same issue

last thing, noone knows how to deconfigure the tone control?
Old 05-09-2011, 09:37 AM

Reviews: 2

what do you mean by deconfigure? you want it out completely? If so, just unsolder any wire going to the tone pot and it should be out. Side effect of this will be slightly brighter sound. If you want to keep the sound exactly the same like with maxed tone pot you'll need to solder a 500K resistor in series with tone pot from volume pot hot lug to ground.
Cheers
Old 05-09-2011, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bancika View Post
what do you mean by deconfigure? you want it out completely? If so, just unsolder any wire going to the tone pot and it should be out. Side effect of this will be slightly brighter sound. If you want to keep the sound exactly the same like with maxed tone pot you'll need to solder a 500K resistor in series with tone pot from volume pot hot lug to ground.
Cheers
thanks, the tone has been disconnected and gone from my life

awesome info, but i am not to sure what you mean about getting the same sound affect.do you mean, you can produce the same sound as if the tone control was connected just buy added the tones (223) capacitor to the volume pot lugs along with the 331 cap already on it(so total of 554kΩ)?

if thats so, that would be cool, if i wanna have a darker tone.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:18 PM

Reviews: 2

no no no
331 (330pF, 0.00033uF cap) is treble bypass cap which is the opposite of tone cap. Tone cap goes from hot to ground while treble bypass cap goes from input to output lugs (lugs 1 and 2) to pass some high frequencies trough. What I suggested was connecting a 500K resistor (that's the same as your tone pot at max) in series with 223 (22nF, 0.022uF) cap from middle pot lug (2) to ground, which is the same as the 3rd lug. It's important to wire them in series, not parallel.
You can also play with resistor value to tweak treble cut, reducing the value is the same as turning the tone pot.

This is how most guitars are wired (ignoring the switch and component values, this is some bass guitar). You want to replace the tone pot with a resistor, that's all.

Last edited by bancika; 05-09-2011 at 07:32 PM.
Old 05-09-2011, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bancika View Post
no no no
331 (330pF, 0.00033uF cap) is treble bypass cap which is the opposite of tone cap. Tone cap goes from hot to ground while treble bypass cap goes from input to output lugs (lugs 1 and 2) to pass some high frequencies trough. What I suggested was connecting a 500K resistor (that's the same as your tone pot at max) in series with 223 (22nF, 0.022uF) cap from middle pot lug (2) to ground, which is the same as the 3rd lug. It's important to wire them in series, not parallel.
You can also play with resistor value to tweak treble cut, reducing the value is the same as turning the tone pot.

This is how most guitars are wired (ignoring the switch and component values, this is some bass guitar). You want to replace the tone pot with a resistor, that's all.
thanks alot man, you provided me with some great info !

Tags
tone pot, volume pot, wiring

Show/Hide Posting Rules