<back   Jemsite > Toolbox: Setup, Repairs and Mods > Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods

Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

Old 01-23-2013, 06:40 PM

Trem seems too high

Good evening all,

I am a newbie with the guitar and had a question. I took my RG350MDX in to a shop to change the strings as I am not comfortable changing them on the adjustable trem.

After getting it home, I appears the trem is much higher than it was previously. I can slip the tip of my finger under the trem. Should I be concerned that the high trem setting my put undue stress on the set up within the guitar and cause the setup to pull free? The action is a bit higher than I am accustomed, but I can live with that.

I was going to take it to another shop for the adjusment, but would prefer not as I would be without my guitar for a few days.

Thanks
Old 01-23-2013, 08:46 PM
(a)

Reviews: 2

Re: Trem seems too high

You shouldn't have any fear of the guitar being harmed........ it'll be fine. Having the action too high for your comfort is no good though. You can easily fix it yourself with the tools that came new with your guitar.

Don't be afraid of your own guitar. Make yourself comfortable with it and it's needs. A basic setup procedure should be learned by everyone with a guitar, at least that's my opinion.

Spend a few hours reading over Rich's tech articles. He spent a massive amount of time putting these together just for us Ibby players. Seriously, everything you need to know from basic to advanced setup is in there. I swear, it should be made into a manual and distributed with every new Ibanez guitar!!!

Here ya go CG............ Welcome to Jemsite man!!!
http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/index.htm

Old 01-23-2013, 10:10 PM

Thanks for the help. It is greatly appreciated.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:53 PM

Reviews: 2

When I was a teenager I got my guitar back from a tech several times not good at all, so I decided to start doing that myself, so big +1 on RGTFanatic's comment.

First things I ever learned about setting up my ibanez was right here on this website, just go to http://www.jemsite.com/articles-menu...tup-questions/

and start there, very well explained, pictures included. If you want to dig deeper, go to IbanezRulez as RGTFanatic suggested. Tons of great info there, although might be a bit overwelming for complete setup newbees. Then Jemsite is the perfect start.

good luck! and, just use common sense... it gets you halfway.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:17 PM
(a)

Yes absolutely learn how to set the trem up yourself. Once you understand exactly how it works you'll be able to fly through string changes in no time, not to mention avoid being scammed by so-called "professional guitar techs" that can't tell a floating trem from their A-hole...

The main thing is don't be scared of the trem, you aren't going to break it or permanently harm your guitar by adjusting it... Good Luck and remember to think of the trem as the fulcrum and balancing act that it is; it will be easier to get your head around it!
Old 01-24-2013, 03:44 PM

oh gawd,, if I knew then what I know now abut trems,, I's still have my N2...

Show/Hide Posting Rules