Trem sitting way too high in FRONT.LOW action - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 10:10 AM Thread Starter

Trem sitting way too high in FRONT.LOW action

Still working on this old BC Rich Warlock NJ that i gutted out & sanded the body down to bare wood . Fast forward ......... Now its restrung & tuned but while doing initial setup, I cant seem to get the Floyd DOWN in the front(closest to pickup) I have like a Nickle (coin) of clearence UNDER the front of the Trem, yet Mega perfect action all the way down teh board.

Issue is I cant lower the trem any lower or else it will definately fret out dead on me. So im stuck with teh trem sitting too high. Trem sits level, just the whole thing sits way too high. I was gona try & get a pic but the only thing it would show is ....perfect action across teh board,yet the trem sits too high.

Thinking my onluy option is to remove neck & block sand the neck heel, OR slightly shimfront of teh neck slightly .

sorry so long but ,could I get anyone elses opinion on this? Also note...when i sanded teh body,I took massive amount of clearcoat & paint off on teh front of the guitar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 11:10 AM

Re: Trem sitting way too high in FRONT.LOW action

why are concerned about the floyd setting up too high ? If the action is good then it is a good thing because you can pull futher back on the floyd.

i dont recommend sanding the neck or the neck pocket because you may run in to issues with the action closer to the nut and it isn't easy getting the pocket or neck level again without having the right tools.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 11:28 AM Thread Starter

Re: Trem sitting way too high in FRONT.LOW action

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.arledge View Post
why are concerned about the floyd setting up too high ? If the action is good then it is a good thing because you can pull futher back on the floyd.

i dont recommend sanding the neck or the neck pocket because you may run in to issues with the action closer to the nut and it isn't easy getting the pocket or neck level again without having the right tools.
Well, Just as a guess,I probably removed 1/32nd of material from teh surface to get down to bare wood,which left the trem cavity Not AS recessed as it once were, which left the trem appearing to sit too high overall. Its an ugly thing. I like streamlined, low profile etc & it just doesnt look good. BUT- During the time I posted & now I went & removed the neck & the tiny thin shim that was under the neck originally from teh factory (that I placed back under there upon finsihing clearcoat etc) I moved it to the Front of the pocket,rather than the back (towards 12th fret direction) which as slight as it was & as thin as the shim was, it made a difference. It counter angled the neck just enough where it still has ever so slight back angle, yet allowed me to turn the trem anchors in 2 full turns on the high side & one full turn on the low side. Now even though it doesnt recess INTO teh cavity .....it sits much much closer to the body & is level. ..which if I remember right, a lotta the old Flyd guitars werent very reccessed back in the day., I think.

Tags
mod trem floyd sanding

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode