<back   Jemsite > Toolbox: Setup, Repairs and Mods > Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods

Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

Old 11-13-2012, 10:10 AM

Trem sitting way too high in FRONT.LOW action

Still working on this old BC Rich Warlock NJ that i gutted out & sanded the body down to bare wood . Fast forward ......... Now its restrung & tuned but while doing initial setup, I cant seem to get the Floyd DOWN in the front(closest to pickup) I have like a Nickle (coin) of clearence UNDER the front of the Trem, yet Mega perfect action all the way down teh board.

Issue is I cant lower the trem any lower or else it will definately fret out dead on me. So im stuck with teh trem sitting too high. Trem sits level, just the whole thing sits way too high. I was gona try & get a pic but the only thing it would show is ....perfect action across teh board,yet the trem sits too high.

Thinking my onluy option is to remove neck & block sand the neck heel, OR slightly shimfront of teh neck slightly .

sorry so long but ,could I get anyone elses opinion on this? Also note...when i sanded teh body,I took massive amount of clearcoat & paint off on teh front of the guitar.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:10 AM

Re: Trem sitting way too high in FRONT.LOW action

why are concerned about the floyd setting up too high ? If the action is good then it is a good thing because you can pull futher back on the floyd.

i dont recommend sanding the neck or the neck pocket because you may run in to issues with the action closer to the nut and it isn't easy getting the pocket or neck level again without having the right tools.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:28 AM

Re: Trem sitting way too high in FRONT.LOW action

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.arledge View Post
why are concerned about the floyd setting up too high ? If the action is good then it is a good thing because you can pull futher back on the floyd.

i dont recommend sanding the neck or the neck pocket because you may run in to issues with the action closer to the nut and it isn't easy getting the pocket or neck level again without having the right tools.
Well, Just as a guess,I probably removed 1/32nd of material from teh surface to get down to bare wood,which left the trem cavity Not AS recessed as it once were, which left the trem appearing to sit too high overall. Its an ugly thing. I like streamlined, low profile etc & it just doesnt look good. BUT- During the time I posted & now I went & removed the neck & the tiny thin shim that was under the neck originally from teh factory (that I placed back under there upon finsihing clearcoat etc) I moved it to the Front of the pocket,rather than the back (towards 12th fret direction) which as slight as it was & as thin as the shim was, it made a difference. It counter angled the neck just enough where it still has ever so slight back angle, yet allowed me to turn the trem anchors in 2 full turns on the high side & one full turn on the low side. Now even though it doesnt recess INTO teh cavity .....it sits much much closer to the body & is level. ..which if I remember right, a lotta the old Flyd guitars werent very reccessed back in the day., I think.

Tags
mod trem floyd sanding

Show/Hide Posting Rules